Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Picking up my not so new 89 Chieftain Friday

Made the deal, and pick it up Friday.
89 Winnebago Chieftain, 23rc
Needs a little work, and new paint, Drive train is in great shape, and the interior is nice, So it is a small project.
I think I got it for a good enough price that I do not risk much.
Getting kind of excited now that I am committed to it, I always have a hard time committing to a deal, as I like to know a lot up front. Insurance runs 148.00 per year. Once i got that number, I was good to go

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7961.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	83318
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congrats. Chieftain was the top of the Winnebago gas line for a long time. I had an 01 and really enjoyed it. Hope you enjoy yours.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Made the deal, and pick it up Friday.
89 Winnebago Chieftain, 23rc
Needs a little work, and new paint, Drive train is in great shape, and the interior is nice, So it is a small project.
I think I got it for a good enough price that I do not risk much.
Getting kind of excited now that I am committed to it, I always have a hard time committing to a deal, as I like to know a lot up front. Insurance runs 148.00 per year. Once i got that number, I was good to go

Attachment 83318
Nice unit! Have fun with it!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Congrats. Enjoy your new toy and you have come to the right place for info, etc.

Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Looks good, I wish you well with it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm envious of people like you who have the knowledge and skills to tackle jobs like this with an attitude of, "...it is a small project." When we were looking to upgrade from our Class C, I saw several rigs that looked good on the surface but not being able to intelligently assess the engine, drive train and suspension made me nervous. Whoever it was that coined the phrase, "Buyers are liars" never met an RV salesman!

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (love the space, hate 8mpg)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
I'm envious of people like you who have the knowledge and skills to tackle jobs like this with an attitude of, "...it is a small project." When we were looking to upgrade from our Class C, I saw several rigs that looked good on the surface but not being able to intelligently assess the engine, drive train and suspension made me nervous. Whoever it was that coined the phrase, "Buyers are liars" never met an RV salesman!
Honestly, all my "skills" were learned by simply jumping in, and doing it.
Generally, you can't mess anything up worse than it already is, so at the worst you learn something.
I look at some of the morons, and ner'-do-wells that come to the house to fix stuff, and i figure I am smarter than they are. Most mechanics now a days are mere parts changers. A real mechanic is a rare jewel.
The reason I started working on my on vehicle, was when I did the math, and added up parts, and labor, i found out I for a tune up, I could replace plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotate tire, change the oil, belts, and buy a bunch of other wear, and tear parts for less than I could get a tuneup.
Brakes jobs are so easy, after you do a few, i am not sure why anyone has it done by a mechanic

When I bought my old Miata, it needed a water pump, and timing belt, seals, which is a 700-1000 dollar job, the kit for it cost 100 bucks, and i found a step by step You tube video, that showed me the step by step process....6 hours later.. done.
Jump in and try it sometime.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote