Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
2019 Minnie Drop 170S

Pick up/Walk thru Tips

Hello all,

I am picking up my 2019 Winnie 170S on Thursday. I am taking the camper from RV dealer to a camping site to spend a night or two. Please please share any tips on everything I need to look at, inspect and ask before I leave the dealer. Like I said I will set up 30 minutes away and will return back to the dealer the next day with any issues.

Thank you in advance for all advice!!
AlisaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are a variety of checklists available online, some more extensive than others. Do some Googling and choose one you like. There are a couple of things that come to mind:

Read the owner's manual cover-to-cover before your pick-up, that way you'll know what questions to ask. It's available online here:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...anuals2019.php

Make sure they explain the electrical systems (both 12V and 120V), showing you where all the circuit breakers, cut-off switches, GFCIs, etc. are located. You'd be surprised how many people post questions about these on rigs they've owned for a while. The same goes for the water system, refrigerator, A/C, heater, etc.

On your overnight run everything, even if you don't need it. When you run your A/C and heater make sure you run each long enough to respond to the thermostat.

You didn't say if you have any prior RV'g experience, which is a big variable. In any case, have them show you the correct way to hook it up for towing.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
2019 Minnie Drop 170S

Thank you for that information. I owned a 1998 Dutchmen Pop Up for three years before I purchased this one. I am experienced in camping but this is a whole different ballgame for me. I was good at backing up/setting up with the pop up but need to relearn with my new camper.
AlisaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You'll probably find that the new, longer trailer is easier to back up than the pop up, it won't be as squirrelly. On the other hand you'll have to make wider turns. Watch out for the concrete bollards at gas stations. And, most importantly, allow for additional stopping distance.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If the person doing your orientation is speed talking don't hesitate to ask them to slow down. We picked up our unit 700 miles from where we live, the guy went through the entire orientation in less then 15 mins. We did not get most of it. It was horrible. If there are two of you have one try to take notes. We totally missed out that there are two grey water drain valves. So I have taken several "showers" when hooking up the sewer hose. Now we know. Make sure that you have all the manuals, warranties and ask it they send them in or do you need to send them in. Make sure you have your shore cord. Ours was missing but we got one before we left. Congratulations on your new unit and safe travels.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I bought a new Minnie Drop 19 last year and did the same thing, camping 1 night near the dealer as I live almost 3 hours away. I thought I checked everything out but after getting home I discovered the refrigerator wasn’t cooling properly. It felt cool but as the temperature rises during the day the temperature in the refrigerator rises dramatically. Stop at a hardware store or Walmart and buy a refrigerator thermometer. My camper is at the dealer now trying to get the problem resolved. Also, be sure it swaps over to propane automatically. Keep a watch on the thermometer while you are camping near the dealer. Happy Trails!
Dlow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Some dealers have a place for you to camp right on their lot, and to fix stuff before you even leave. I bought from Lazy days in Tampa my Minnie 2108 and we got there Sat am and they setup the camper and did a long walk around, and filled the tanks with water and provide power hook ups. Then they allow you to stay there 1-2 days to make sure all works. I found a few issues, and called the delivery advisor and he had them fix before we left. Maybe yours has something similar?
Larry2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Walk thru

I always make a video of the walk thru. The I have a visual record to refer back to. I save it on my laptop to take with me
Dog guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog guy View Post
I always make a video of the walk thru. The I have a visual record to refer back to. I save it on my laptop to take with me
WOW, great suggestion.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
adventurer 35f

Walk thru

Make sure you run the slides in and out a couple of times if it has auto levelers have the salesman demonstrate them for you hook water up check for leaks check all the gaskets for softness and no delamination. Most of all go have fun its under warranty so time to work out the bugs
Thekoniors is offline   Reply With Quote