Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Pay up front for warranty work?

I had an interesting(?) experience today.
The CO detector in my 2013 Itasca Ellipse is faulty. It needs to be replaced. RV is still under warranty.
I went to local Winnebago dealer. I was told by them that since I did not purchase the RV from them, I would have to pay for a new/replacement detector and seek reimbursement from Winnebago or the selling dealer. I chose not to purchase a new detector and left.
Winnebago is sending a replacement detector to me at no charge.
I understand that the local dealer doesn't need to justify their policies to me. I am just perplexed as to why they would have that type of policy.
As an aside, this dealer performed a Winnebago Service Campaign replacement without issue.
Whining is now over.
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

What did the Winnebago rep say when you called them? I ran into the same issue several years ago at a local Winne dealer. I called the toll free customer service # the Winne rep said he was going to contact the dealer, he told me to give him 15 minutes and I should call the dealer back and make the service apt .When I called back there was no problem getting the warranty service. Needless to say after a few years the place changed ownership. That's why some dealers do a good business and others go out of business.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Sounds like he just did not want to wait on the Winnebago reimbursement. Obviously he was operating on a shoestring.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago rep said he would contact the Regional/Area Service Mgr.(?) and let him know. It didn't seem that there was much they could do from the Winnebago end.

Hard to believe that the dealer is in some kind of financial straights as they have been here, locally owned for a long time.
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Wrong...the service rep if off his rocker. EVERY Winny dealer I worked with on warranty NEVER pulled this stunt.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My brother had a similar experience several years ago with a Honda motorcycle. He paid up front for some major warranty work. When he submitted the claim to Honda it was rejected. Honda would only accept warranty claims from authorized dealers. He tried going back to the dealer only to find the place cleaned out and the doors closed.

The dealer knew he was in financial trouble and wanted all the cash he could get before the company and the bank took back the business.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Years ago we were at a brand specific (Shasta) rally in Elkhart. Our 18' travel trailer was no more than a few months old at the time. The LP valve for the fridge had been leaking. Our dealer had removed the valve and blocked off the line so we could at least use the fridge on 110 for our trip, there would not have been time to get a new valve before we left.

The factory had service techs at the rally. The tech refused to give us a new valve unless we paid for it as we didn't have the old one. No explanation we could give was satisfactory and he wasn't interested in calling our dealer. I refused to put out my money for what clearly was a warranty issue. Later that evening there was a catered dinner for all attendees, and who should be in line right next to me - the CEO of Shasta. He called that tech, now at home some 60 miles away, and told him in no uncertain terms that he'd get his butt back to the rally grounds pronto and he'd fix our fridge.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote