Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

pantry latch problem

Hi Folks:

Been a little while since I was in contact with the forum. Naturally, whenever a problem pops up the IRV2 forum is my first line of seeking an effective resolution to an issue.
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey, 36G. This motorhome has a slide out pantry unit next to the refrigerator. In the past few months we have experienced a very annoying problem. We will be driving down the road and at some point the latching mechanism (which is obviously defective) will become unlatched and the pantry will slide out often with a loud ka-boom. My wife and co-pilot dutifully walks back, slides the pantry back in place, but in a short period of time.....boom the pantry slides out again. We've resorted to all types of means to secure the pantry. Usually, just a temporary fix until we get home or to a destination. I always promise the boss that I will fix this problem.....right away. For a short span of about five months, I thought that I had this issue resolved with a latching mechanism that I procured at either Lowe's or Home Deport. This was in the way of a mechanism that is used for doors on cabinets or some other like item. That mechanism eventually gave way simply due to the weight of the pantry and stored items inside. I've looked at sash latches, sliding door bolts, and other such hardware that might work. However, nothing has been satisfactory.

So, I am open to any and all suggestions. If any of you have had similar experiences, I would be very interested and appreciative of any advice with respect to this problem. As always, I am deeply and humbly grateful.

mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My under counter pantry latch broke. It had a small tab that broke off and I welded it back on. It is the kind of latch that has a thumb lever. Hopfully this helps in some way.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had this problem on '99

I had this same problem on my '99 Adventurer.

I bought a brass bolt and latch with about a 1" throw at Home Depot. I mounted the bolt on a cross style of the pantry door so that the bolt (when retracted) was flush with the flat part of the style ... my son helped me make a small block that attached to the face frame of the cabinet that had the latch attached to it.

Before travelling we "bolted" the pantry at the same time that we snapped the sliding door for the bathroom.

It solved our problem. So far the pantry latch has held on our 2004 Journey ... but if it doesn't it will get the brass bolt treatment, too.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem and bought a latch at Lowes and mounted at the top and it keeps the door nice and tight. I did have to add a spacer under the latch to make the same plane as the door at the location picked for the lock. It truly is not noticable but workes great. I did it for the pantry on the other side also and the sliding door between the bathroom and the dining room are.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The latch on my refer pantry also failed. I had to replace the slide mechanism, a really fun job. To prevent further problems, I used a "drop bolt" type latch that is intended for sliding doors on both pantrys.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My time for editing had expired before I could add this info ...

The device I used was called a "Gatehouse Brass Plated 4 in. Surface Bolt"

==> See one here
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have two of the slide out pantries and when we bought our coach, one of them was broken. They ordered another from Winnebago. With a month the other one broke when we were out camping. We bought a small shower curtain and set it up while driving. It is very high up and we can both walk under it. It also comes in handy for drying out towels at night. I have been meaning to put in a slide closer on it for the last 30,000 miles. The pre delivery guy told me that it happened an awful lot on that style of slide.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a pantry that also would come open while driving. We bought a slide bolt and installed it on the face of the pantry cabinet (not the door) and drilled a hole into the frame for it to go in to. Note: it slides down into the lower cabinet frame). It has worked well: problem resolved!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone who sent in a reply. Fixed in it the "gatehouse" brass plated 4" bolt. Provides a great fix. Oddly, I put one of these on our bathroom door some years ago when it wouldn't stay closed. Why didn't I turn around and see that the solution was right in back of me? Thanks again to all.....You guys are the greatest!!
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote