Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are in the process of building a new house which will have an attached RV garage. Has anyone painted the garage floor and if so, what type of paint has worked, i.e. not melted under warm tires or worn off? By the way, I tried searching on this but found nothing. Thanks, Betty.
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are in the process of building a new house which will have an attached RV garage. Has anyone painted the garage floor and if so, what type of paint has worked, i.e. not melted under warm tires or worn off? By the way, I tried searching on this but found nothing. Thanks, Betty.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Try this on for size:

"203006 TAN EPOXY GARAGE FLOOR COATING KIT"
You could also find a comparable product at Lowe's or Home Depot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here's an alternative to paint:

http://www2.northerntool.com/cat-1/867+1669.htm

Also, if you'd like to avoid the huge garage door look. You can incorporate a bi-fold door into a three car garage with a 12 - 12 pitch roof. Your MH goes in the center bifold door and you disquise it to look like a regular garage door and gable end.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Tan epoxy is the only way to go but remember two things.
1. Following the instructions to the letter.
2. Epoxy floors are slick when wet.
In wet or high traffic areas I sprinkle a fine layer of sugar sand on top of the final application.
Buff's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Could u mix the sand in with the paint before u apply to the floor???????????
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Donavon, I am very interested in your garage door option. Do you have any more info or are there any pictures available?? I am building a new home shortly and looking for some ideas for my garage.
Thanks
Eddie

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Eddie, here is a web site for the basic structure of a biford door. I see they also have a new hydraulic single door which would be easier. I'll see if my wife can find her drawings and either post them or send them to you. We live on a farm and we have regular 12'wide x 12' high garage doors but we're going to use her idea when we move to town.

Here's the web site. http://www.bifold.com/ I'm sure there are bifold door companys closer to RI. And I'll try to locate one for you.

Both items might take a few days. My wife power sews and is in a contest now and I need to make an appointment with her. There's thread and fabric everywhere. The dogs and I are hiding in the east sun room.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Donavon, thanks for the get back, any other info will be much appreciated.
eddie

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the ideas. I think the tan epoxy is the best solution for us. As for the RV bay door, we already have a normal garage door on order. Our builder tried to do the best he could with roof lines, but it is still a big opening. Betty
Old 02-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I know that in the gated community of the Villages in Central Florida, many of the driveways are painted. Don't know what they use.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just thought I should comment about the 12X12 door for the RV. I had one on my old place and it worked great(even though tight) fo my old Motorhome. We got the current coach and discovered that the Mirrors would hit!.

We built the current place with 14'X14' (a standard size)garage door. It is much easier to fit the coach in and out. The garage opener for either size is a commercial grade because of the weight.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:54 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We really like our epoxy garage floor, which is gray by the way. (You can get almost any color). The thing to know is that the floor must be really clean for the paint to stick properly. Most paint manufacturers provide an etchant and a pressure washer is really a necessity. This is true even on new construction and is even more important for floors that have been used already. (Here you need a degreaser etc.) You can either spray the paint or roll it. Even though I have two commercial sprayers I prefer to roll it--unless you have acres of concrete to cover. Don't mix more of the two-part epoxy than you can apply in an hour or so, but it works best if you keep a wet edge. We used two coats for extra durability--mostly because we use a pressure washer on the floor. Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I would recommend stain instead of paint. If you have ever seen a bad paint job start peeling, it will look bad forever. You might be able to get your concrete stained before it is installed and the color is all the way through. I just keep thinking of peeling paint, then you will have to sandblast. Just another view point.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We just have clear concrete sealer on our garage floor. It show no where or dirt like a painted floor. We used to have epoxy floors in our fire station. Slick when wet. Where padding on your rear end.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Colored concrete is very nice and no big deal to accomplish--just dump colorizer in the concrete before laying it. It doesn't, however do what epoxy does. i.e. Epoxy seals the surface and provides a protection from liquids, grease, oil, road dirt etc. If applied correctly it doesn't peal and is a very durable finish. It can be scratched off however, if something heavy is dragged across the surface. Short of that nothing seems to bother it. I am thinking of whether to use eqoxy or vinyl commercial tile in the shop. I think the expoxy is actually a better choice, but dragging heavy machines across the surface might be an issue.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote