Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Paint or Skin cover problem

This is a question and not to find falt with anyone. I believe when I took my Winne. TOUR 2006 in for a wash and wax. Once back home I noticed what looked like some left over wax on the top left face in the black paint area. Finding a ladder I got a closer look and it seemed to look as if the sprayer used on top to wash it, may have pushed up the plastic and paint. Looking accross the top, where the face fits to the top was even more problems which looked the same. I was trying to think how to fix it and was asking for your help. Anyone have any ideas.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Dogman

I'm not clear exactly where you are talking about when you say "pushed up the plastic and paint" ...do you mean there is no sealant at the front cap to roof joint running from drip rail to drip rail across the top of the coach?? ...is the fiberglass (is this what you mean by "plastic"?) of the front cap raised at the joint? ...or do you mean it appears the paint is peeling?

Was this an RV place that did the wash job??? If they used a pressure washer set at high pressure, it is very possible they did damage to sealant, seals, and joints all over the coach...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

After reading what you said, yes it seems that the clear seal has been removed. Hope I did the pictures correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HArold101 053.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	495   Click image for larger version

Name:	HArold101 054.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	496  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HArold101 055.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	497   Click image for larger version

Name:	HArold101 057.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	498  

Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Dogman

I'm not clear exactly where you are talking about when you say "pushed up the plastic and paint" ...do you mean there is no sealant at the front cap to roof joint running from drip rail to drip rail across the top of the coach?? ...is the fiberglass (is this what you mean by "plastic"?) of the front cap raised at the joint? ...or do you mean it appears the paint is peeling?

Was this an RV place that did the wash job??? If they used a pressure washer set at high pressure, it is very possible they did damage to sealant, seals, and joints all over the coach...
Yes, the clear sealent seems to have been removed as shown in the pictures. What can I do to fix or repair it or do I need to take it in?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately your pictures look to me like the clear coat has been damaged. The clear coat is applied over the paint and is essentially a clear paint. Clear coat is the correct term. Sealant is used like caulking.
Unless you ar an auto painter you'll need to take it to a pro for repair.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I will look into it and see what all I need to have do. Thanks for all of your help....

Harold
AKA Dogman
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, the pictures show the clear coat layer over the paint is peeling. This is not likely the result of the wash job, but that may have made it more apparent. There have been lots of problems since '02 or so with peeling clear coat along both sides of the roof cove (the curved part of the roof above the rain gutter) and on the top of the front cap, especially with darker colors. Many have been repainted at the Winnebago sub-contractor in Forest City, and some at local paint places where owners live. You need to contact Winnebago Customer Service. They may cover the cost of repainting.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem only it appears that mine is worse than yours

georgeb
2005 Journey 36.5ft, 350Cat
georgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

skin cover problem

I have the same problem on my 2002 Journey full paint.along both sides of the curved roof sections...the clear coat is flaking along the top of the curve...Is there any easiy way to light sand and paint with clear coat aerosal can...No too concerned it how it looks from the top since you can't really see it from the ground...I want to sand the flakes off but not damage the paint underneath...any suggestions on the best way to do this...Front cap did not flake at all, just the sides...thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Meridian did the same thing at the top of the front cap and along both sides of the curved part of the roof. Winnebago's paint contractor repainted it free of charge, but that was 1 1/2 years ago before the economy went bad so not sure what they are doing now. Had a 1500 mile round trip from home but no local painters had big enough shop to handle this job. Probably cost as much in fuel and camping fees to cover paying for it at home if someone could have done it. Understand around 2003-2005 the painter scrimped on the clear coat spray due to environmental problems and it didn't stand up over several years. Really a sorry situation for all of us Winnebago owners.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Poor paint job, my paint is so thin I can now see through the white to the bare wll and the rest is decal wich is starting to come off. I have always keep it clean and waxed both gently.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have the same issue on my 2007 Vectra. I have contacted Winnebago, the paint shop (CDI) next to the factory is going to repair it later this summer.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I've got a 2005 Itasca Horizon and the same clearcoat flaking is occuring at the top rear of the coach. I wash the roof once a year with a soft bristle brush and noticed this about a year ago. I need to take it in to see if it will be covered. The sides are still new looking as I keep it washed.
I guess there is always some compromises. I wonder what the Prevost owners run across?
Keith