Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

We will be in Forest City in a couple of weeks to take the factory tour and are wondering if there is an area where Winnebago has campsites with hook ups.

I looked at the map of the Forest City facility and see an area with campsites with hook ups for customers with an appointment and another separate area for visitors but the visitor area does not say there are hook ups.

Just trying to decide if we need to find a campground in the area or if Winnebago has a free area with hookups for visitors going on the tour.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kahunna
Kahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

We will be in Forest City in a couple of weeks to take the factory tour and are wondering if there is an area where Winnebago has campsites with hook ups.

I looked at the map of the Forest City facility and see an area with campsites with hook ups for customers with an appointment and another separate area for visitors but the visitor area does not say there are hook ups.

Just trying to decide if we need to find a campground in the area or if Winnebago has a free area with hookups for visitors going on the tour.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kahunna
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Kahunna

I assume that your visit will not overlap with GNR

As I recall there are some dry camping spots beside the visitor center ...

There are also campgrounds ... this will get you started
==>forest city camping
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can stay at the visitor's center (free - electric only), Pammel Park (city campground - not sure what the facilities are - it's at least electric) or Three Fingers Campground (full hookups) which is about five miles West of Forest City (641-581-5856.)

Be advised your timing is just about when the Grand National Rally begins (7/20-25) and you will be in contention with about a thousand other rigs.

Come join us for the rally (assuming you have a Winnebago product) - call 800-643-4892 (extension 1.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

John,.. If you are sure that they allow camping at the visitor's center and free electric is provided that's good enough for me.

We are traveling with our dog and would want to run the air conditioning and the wife doesn't like the noise of the generator for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kahunna:
John,.. If you are sure that they allow camping at the visitor's center and free electric is provided that's good enough for me.

We are traveling with our dog and would want to run the air conditioning and the wife doesn't like the noise of the generator for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the info </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes - there are 30 amp electrical hookups at the visitors center for use by visitors.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Kahunna, be SURE to call ahead if your travel plans will overlap the Winnebago National Rally, as others have mentioned you'll be competing with over a thousand rigs for a spot.

It's NOT the place to be without a reservation of some sorts at that time of the year....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Another thought too. Will there BE any factory tours during GNR?

(We've never gone...so I can't imagine that many people/rigs all over the place!)
Old 07-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RRT2:
Another thought too. Will there BE any factory tours during GNR? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can't see why not since this is the best time for them to showcase the plant. I do believe that the tours will book up quickly so check with the visitor's center when you get there - or call them on the phone ASAP.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I was just told by my dealer that Winnebago closes the next two weeks, is that an every year occurance?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

During the GNR you have to sign up for the production facility tours in advance. There are several scheduled but be sure to call the WIT office to be included in one. At this late date they might already be full. We signed up in April.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Starting about the 12th of July things get pretty chaotic as the pre GNR activities start. The spaces at the visitors center fill up and the plant tours are only provided for GNR participants. I have stayed at Pamel Park which is a short distance from the plant. Water and electric with a large dump area adjacent. Things usually slow down after the rally except for people staying over for factory work.

Don
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

There is a two night limit at the visitors centers IF people are waiting for a space. The visitors center is free and has 30 amp service.

Pammel Park right down the road is $15 a night and has 50 amp service. The dump and water is close by. I've never noticed Pammel Park being full during GNR but the visitors center has been.

We were just in Forest City and there were a few openings at the visitors center, no one at Pammel Park, about 5 parked in the service parking lot and about 5 parked in the service spaces on the rally grounds. The tours were running and life was happening at the visitors center, surplus and service.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote