Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Opinion and Advice Needed

Hi all.
New to the forums here, and I am looking at making my first MH purchase, but I do have questions.
I need an opinion on a 1995 Winnebago Brave 31RQ, on the Ford chassis, found one here in Canada, some distance from me, but well below market value by the look of it.
Are they a pretty good starter coach?
By the way, big vehicles are not a problem for me, drove truck for years (also fix them).
This will be our first dip into the waters..........................
Thanks in advance.
David.
service_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had a smaller 1981 Winnebago (Dodge) - it was a solid, dependable coach and if we had not been looking for something bigger would probably still have it. You clearly will know the mechanical things to look for, and can read the DOT code for the tires (I guess Canada has a system for that ), but the real question you are asking is about Winnebago (not Ford or Dodge). So, you get to the other things to consider - first being how are you going to use it? Weekends? Long trips? Then imagine how you would stow your needs.

See if it has the manuals that should have come with it from the factory, ask to see maintenance records. Check the amount of storage space inside and out. Check the appliances, make sure they work (the smell of ammonia from the refrig, means you will immediately need to replace that, for instance.) Does it have a generator? Does it work? How many hours are on it?

Over all, I would not be worried about Winnebago quality, only how well it has been maintained.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

How many will be travelling? Are there beds for everyone? A place for everyone to eat?

Have you ever travelled / slept in a motorhome?

Have you considered renting one before you buy? (motorhomes are not an investment ... they are a divestment)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On the 1995 there is a weakness in the rear crossmember above the axle that sometimes stess cracks especially on Northern Coaches exposed to road salt. This will cause a bit of a hump in the floor going from the bath hall into the bedroom. It is a corrugated piece that cracks near the top just about in line with the truck chassis frame rails. You can sometimes inspect it from the rear basement compartment by looking towards the front. Bring a bright flashlight and be sure to crawl under to check for rotted steel and other signs of salt damage.

Be watchfull for signs of cracked exhaust manifolds and popped exhaust studs too.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

well as we all know, in all things with age comes problems. so newer the better, there are exceptions. i wouldnt spend to much money, as really soon you want something bigger, plan ahead, look to what it looks like next yr. as we don't buy a MH for just few months. its sort of long term.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Buying a MH is only the beginning of the buying process. Have you thought of what or how you will tow something. A good tow bar (Roadmaster or Blue OX) will cost you somewhere around $2000 installed (including wiring). If you are going to use a tow dolly you are looking at between $950 for a Chinese dolly to $ 1400 + for a good used USA model.
Then there is service....as in when was the last time it had the oils and I do mean oils, changed. Especially on an older coach, engine, transmission, rear end all need to checked for last service date.
One of the most overlooked items, especially in the older coaches is the condition of the roof. Make sure that you look at it and check all of the seams and joints around every opening that protrudes through the roof.

This message is not meant, in any way or fashion, to scare you from purchasing your first MH, but it is the reality of being a MH owner.
The Toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

While I am not familiar with that particular coach.. my advice would be to REALLY think ahead more than you possibly are already. If this is going to be your "weekend" or "occasional week-long" coach, consider the possibility that you'll spend way more time in it than that. We thought our first coach would last a few years before upgrading... it lasted less than a year before we did. Our "first" coach was a gas 35' Class A.. Our second (current) coach, purchased less than a year later, is a 40' DP. So as others have rightly said in this forum.. try to buy your last coach first. :-)

Tags
advice