Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile One Year Plan

As some of you know, my wife and I purchased a new 2012 Winnebago Journey in September of 2012. We plan that this is our last Motor Coach purchase.

So, this year we went traveling like never before. We live in Southeastern Alabama. Our trips include one to San Antonio, TX, the next was a trip to near Tulsa, OK, and the next was to Keyser, WV ( Northeastern corner of WV) ,and last but not least back to San Antonio, TX

Our plan all along was to be home in September, and get all of the warranty issues repaired, while we still had the 1 year part of our warranty in effect. Other than a few minor issues with my local Camping World, Winnebago Industries has been a dream to deal with. If you knew me well, you would know that I don't hand those compliments out on a daily basis.

Also, I have had some trouble with the "Battery Isolation Solenoid". The solenoid is what activates or deactivates, to let the system either charge the coach batteries, or the chassis batteries, or just float. This solenoid was replaced within a week of our purchase, and was once again replaced on this trip to the dealer(CW).

The solenoid interacts with devices that are manufactured by Magnum Energy. These people are absolutely the very best at customer relations. They have even been a part of some posts on this community.

My only concern is that may continue to be a problem in the future. We shall see.

All of this was tell you that I find the Winnebago RV to be a dream to own. After reading many horror stories here and other forums, I felt obliged to tell my story.

Lest I forget, the people on this forum have been a tremendous comfort and joy to interact with as well. I love irv2.com!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	46589  
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Glad you're enjoying your travels and your coach. I echo your thoughts and opinions of Winnebago...we've been very happy with ours as well.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Glad your having fun with your new coach and a happy camper.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
. . .

All of this was tell you that I find the Winnebago RV to be a dream to own. After reading many horror stories here and other forums, I felt obliged to tell my story.

Lest I forget, the people on this forum have been a tremendous comfort and joy to interact with as well. I love irv2.com!
Really great to see a post where problems are experienced, but the poster doesn't rant and rave about Winnebago going down the tubes and having no quality control, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Glad you are happy with your unit. I, too, bought a new unit, had some problems, had them resolved and have been very happy with Winnebago and the motorhome.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I likewise appreciate your positive view of Winnebago and its products. It truly is refreshing to hear someone say something good. We're in the market for a Tour QD but have been concerned with all the quality control issues that have been expressed over the last few years. Could it be possible that Winne has turned a corner and is now aggressively trying to save their good name for which they have rightly deserved over all these decades?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

KoolBell,
What a great post. Well done and well said. My wife and I enjoy every minute of our Winnebago and this is our third unit. I love the fact it is totally engineered and you have access to so much documentation related specifically to your own motorhome. We had our share of items on our "punch list" but Winnebago made sure everyone was fixed. I do recommend if possible that you go straight to Forest City and have them fix it. And they will.
Thanks for your post. I agree with you 100%.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

KoolBell; what were the symptoms of your Battery Isolation Solenoid when it was acting up. With our 2012 Journey 40U I've got a clicking sound any time the Chassis Batteries are being charged. I'm thinking it's the same unit. Did you replace it your self or was it under warranty still? If not any idea what the unit by it's self cost?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We too are happy campers too , we have your exact motor home - color even.

We got ours on 11/11/11 and now have 16,500 miles on it very pleased with the 9.3 MPG over those miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had our 1 yr warranty punch list completed in Feb at the factory. Coach is running great, glad yours is also.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mine is a great coach. I've had a few problems but Winnibago has stepped up to the plate and taken care of them. Some even out of warranty! I couldn't be more satisfied. This is my 3rd Winni since 2006 and I've finally found "IT"!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I too am a proud owner of an Itasca. I recieved a pm from someone last week asking questions about a 38t. We exchanged several emails and his response was he was happy to see a glowing review of the 38t. I've had few minor problems but handled well by the dealer. You meet people who are happy with their coach, but always looking for something more. I can truthfully say I look, but wound't consider trading even for a new one, unless it was a new Itasca 38T with the workhorse and allison. It's a shame they stopped with this floorplan.

Glad you are happy with yours from your neighbor down south in LA.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
KoolBell; what were the symptoms of your Battery Isolation Solenoid when it was acting up. With our 2012 Journey 40U I've got a clicking sound any time the Chassis Batteries are being charged. I'm thinking it's the same unit. Did you replace it your self or was it under warranty still? If not any idea what the unit by it's self cost?
The original problem was that Clicking sound you described. The second problem occurred with the inverter not automatically charging the chassis batteries after the coach batteries reached their float level.

It took some convincing to get the tech who worked on my unit that it was supposed to do exactly that. Once he contacted Winnebago, and found out I was right, he trusted my judgement on every other item we had to discuss.

I would suggest to each of you to go into your service with as much knowledge about what is wrong, and what the potential reasons are for what is wrong. Talking with a technician can be a hair raising experience for some people. Know this: Knowledge is power!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I forgot to add this to my response earlier.
Thanks to all of you for responding to my post. You proved me right in the fact that this is the best forum for RVing.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We also owned a Winney for eight years, and found it to be a great trouble free coach. Were it not for the rear radiator we would look at getting another one.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
We also owned a Winney for eight years, and found it to be a great trouble free coach. Were it not for the rear radiator we would look at getting another one.
A bit off subject---excuse me, Folks. Just curious--what did you not like about the rear radiator? Seems fine to me so far.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
A bit off subject---excuse me, Folks. Just curious--what did you not like about the rear radiator? Seems fine to me so far.
Not speaking for Finhawk, but I would assume he does alot of his own maintenance/servicing. The side radiator is much more conducive to "do-it-yourselfers". As for me, it goes to Freightliner/Cummins for almost all work/servicing so the rear radiator is not a big factor.
I thought there were still side radiator Winnebagos still in production, but what do I know?
stik is offline   Reply With Quote