Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Older vs newer MH

I currently own a 2001 Chieftain 35U with only 26k miles that has always been stored inside; first owner did the same. Very nice coach. I have undated suspension with Koni shocks and multiple track bars / sway bars etc. My question is this: do newer coaches drive any better , rattles less , are quieter, etc. Thinking about upgrading but not sure I would gain much if anything other than newer electronics. Just looking for opinions from people that have been there and done that.

Thanks
Daveb PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveb PT View Post
I currently own a 2001 Chieftain 35U with only 26k miles that has always been stored inside; first owner did the same. Very nice coach. I have undated suspension with Koni shocks and multiple track bars / sway bars etc. My question is this: do newer coaches drive any better , rattles less , are quieter, etc. Thinking about upgrading but not sure I would gain much if anything other than newer electronics. Just looking for opinions from people that have been there and done that.

Thanks
Dave,
In all reality, most of those questions are impossible to answer without you actually going out and test driving any of them that might interest you. There are folks on here that are completely dissatisfied with their diesel pusher rigs in terms of handling, ride, and more. As for "rattles", well, again, two coaches can come off the assembly line and within only a few years or so, one will have considerably more rattles than the other one. Much depends on miles, where it's been driven, rougher roads, lousy USA hiways, etc.

And, you speak of "newer electronics". Well, again, those newer electronics while intended to be more efficient, easier to use, better design and all that, they also can be a nightmare to analyze and diagnose if and when the act up.

Does any of all this mean that newer coaches than yours are not worth going after, no, not at all. There's some very nice ones out there that are well worth looking into. Sometimes you can stumble onto one when you first start your endeavor of diving into a newer one and, at other times, it may take months to find one that meets your expectations. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

As with anything, you pays your money and you takes your choice. If I had that question, I would go to a dealer and find a new (or nearly new) MH which you would judge to be comparable to what you have, and take it for a test drive. Think about your floor plan, and what you would change. Think about how much you will use it, and much money you are willing to tie up on that use.
Good luck.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'd love the one I was with. My wife seems to appreciate that approach as well...

But seriously, it'd be one thing to do a big time upgrade to a 45' tag/quad slide/has it's own butler/etc rig... I wouldn't look to upgrade within the same 'class' of RV unless I was having significant issues already.

Steve
Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

To add to what you've already been told, a key part of the question is are you trying to compare your current MH with a new one of similar size and power train or is the question whether new ones, in general, drive better, etc? There's a big difference in those two questions. I can't say if a modern version of your present MH would drive better, but I can be confident that there are much better driving MH's out there, both new and older.

I own a 15 year old DP which drives like a dream. I read about "modern improvements" such as Newmar's Comfort Drive and I wonder why anything is needed to improve what is already an exceptionally relaxing driving experience for me. Maybe some people never feel comfortable driving big vehicles like these but that may not be something technology is going to fix.

I do agree with one of the other responses that newer MHs with more complex electronics can be headaches to repair. My important electronics, like TV's, audio system and satellite receivers have all been replaced and are up to date. But the fact that I don't have computerized lighting in my MH doesn't bother me in the slightest. One thing less to go wrong.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Fire Up said it well. You will have to drive any coach you are thinking about to compare with yours. We have no idea how yours drives and rattles in comparison with what you are going to drive.

You may want to keep what you have unless there is something wrong with yours or you are looking to upgrade to a floor plan that suits you better.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I'll probably never know how much better the newer rigs are to drive, because I am really happy with how my 14 yr old Dynasty drives. ( big improvement over previous gasser drove ). New electronics don't mean better than old. In my opinion everything new is being made cheaper and cheaper. If some electrical component fails in my coach, I'll try to replace it with oem if possible. Everything still works after 14 yrs. My repair receipt box has nothing electrical in it. Reading all the posts has convinced me that buying new or old is really a crap shoot. Every rig is it's own entity.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #8

I considered trading up and buying new, BUT I would have to install all my upgrades all over again on the new coach, AND the salesman refused to give credit for the cost of even half of the upgrades. Solar, suspension - front & rear anti-sway bars, rear trac bar, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, stainless mufflers, Total camera system, roof sat, new body paint, and more.
He told me to keep what I have. And I am.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the replys . If I were to "upgrade" it would be another Ford chassis and probably a Winnebago or Allegro. Probably would need a need wife too as she thinks were are fine with what we have.

Dave
Daveb PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We are running a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. Handles great, no rattles or squeaks, and has the right floor plan for us. Every time we look at switching out we never find a floor plan that we like as well. I am thinking more of a refurbish interior and upgrade to the electronics. Maybe even a new paint job in a couple of years. I like to stay with the classics.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

DH and I are always on the hunt. Our 2008 FRED is in showroom condition and paid for but DH would like a DP. We have looked at several coaches but then we come to our senses and remind ourselves that while we are both working ours meets our needs. When we talk about trading our coach among our RV'ing friends they think we are crazy. Net, Net... It would have to be a better than GREAT deal for us to make a trade.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote