Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold AC heater Help

This is a 2007 Sightseer 30B with a Norcold N611RT refrigerator and the heater failed. It appears that the unit will have to be removed to replace it. I'm hoping that maybe someone on this forum could give me a idea of what I'm up against.

Leo
scarecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome scarecoupe to irv2.
Go to page 22 of this link it will show a diagram of a heater circuit for your refridge although not a 611 most all are the same.
You will see a 5 amp fuse that might have blown in circuit that maybe your problem.
Heater elements will go just had mine replaced on 7 year fridge. The fuse needs to be checked. This ac circuit is independent to anything else in your fridge.
If element has to be changed you can replace yourself and may only need to move fridge forward a few inches to clear element by outside wall of RV or you maybe able to just lift element out without moving fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply "007". I did check the fuse and it was ok,then checked the AC heater and it has an open circuit and has to be replaced. I was hoping that by chance someone my have replaced one on a Sightseer. Not much room to move the unit out. I would think you have to start on top and remove the top section of the vent pipe,and like you said just move it out for enough space to get to it. New venture,,should be interesting.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Leo .. I believe you have a good challenge on your hands, but not impossible. Winnebago is serious about fridge installation. They use a "roll over" kit... makes it more diffficult to remove, but it won't be flying around the inside during an accident either. My 4-door Norcold has screws inside under top and bottom molding, 4 bolts outside w/2 ea on each side of the access compartment AND one or more bolts accessible through the roof vent. In addition, it is glued in with silicone caulk.

Plan plenty of time for the job, and Have fun!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Paul...Thank you for the info, When I was checking the ac fuse and the heater I noticed that on each side of the refrigerator there was 3 3/8 bolt heads holding the unit in place. I then went inside to check the trim around the unit and only saw two screws on the top trim,nothing on the sides or the bottom. I will stay the course and document my progress with photo's in case someone else has to remove his unit.

Leo
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The silicone sealer gave me the most grief when I had to remove our refrigerator, mostly because it's on the sides and difficult to get at. I ended up using a piece of piano wire (or other thin wire) that I pulled thru the joint to break the seal. Also, mine had a bracket at the top of the unit that had to be unfastened. I had to remove the top vent cover on the roof to get at it.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This is an update as to were I stand, I have two bolts on the sides at bottom, two screws under the top trim and two on the bottom under the trim. As stated the lower brackets are bolted and the surface where the meet are silicone. I did not see any under the vent on top. Now I did replace the ac heater with the Frig in place. It takes some time to figure it out, but it comes out. the shield is the problem, getting to the top clip to release it. The secret is to remove the L shaped strip the is screwed to the outside wall so you can get to it, with the strip in place you cannot see up that far. I went to the hardware store to bye a 20mm thorx bit that I put on my quarter drive to remove the three screws. You can't do it with a screw driver because they are in there tight. It took me almost two hrs. to remove three screws, had to feel for the heads. Before I forget, If I didn't get the heater replaced I would of removed the screws of the bottom brackets the hold the two bolts to get the Frig out. I couldn't break the silicone on one side..about 10 screws to the sidewall. Now heres the kicker, It still doesn't work on AC, switches over to propane. Still flashes the 3 blinks. Went back to check the old heater and it showed the same 0.00, indicating that it had an open circuit. checked the new one ant the same thing 0.00, come to find out my ohm meter was bad, the push botton was sticking. I confirmed the the old unit was good was to apply 110 directly to it and it heated up immediately. Now you can just imagine this unhappy Camper....can't say here as to what I was thinking. After sitting down and cooling off I went back to the board to check for Ac power...fuses good, ac to the board good, but no ac coming out of the board... uggh. Stay tuned, its not over yet.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Happy to report that my unit is back to normal, everything was double checked,found nothing to report . I wish I knew what I did different but thats the story. There is not much info on a N611RT Norcold even from Thetford. Good thing the wiring diagram is on the unit.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecoupe View Post
Happy to report that my unit is back to normal, everything was double checked,found nothing to report . I wish I knew what I did different but thats the story. There is not much info on a N611RT Norcold even from Thetford. Good thing the wiring diagram is on the unit.
i found this info:

Posted June 18, 2008 07:38 PM Hide Post
I was given the following procedure from a service tech to erase stored fault memory from my Norcold Refrigerator Model N64. It has worked several times!
- Turn "On/Off" to turn on
- Press "Temp Set" & "Mode" at same time to display "1"
- Press "Mode" to go to screen "6", "Er" should display
- Press and hold "Temp Set" until "CL" displays, then release
- Wait five seconds and press and hold "Temp Set" until "Er" displays, then release
- Press "On/Off" to turn off
Press "On/Off" to turn on
TO RESET CONTROL BOARD, SHORT PIN 15 TO GROUND???

do you have the service manual?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i found this info:

Posted June 18, 2008 07:38 PM Hide Post
I was given the following procedure from a service tech to erase stored fault memory from my Norcold Refrigerator Model N64. It has worked several times!
- Turn "On/Off" to turn on
- Press "Temp Set" & "Mode" at same time to display "1"
- Press "Mode" to go to screen "6", "Er" should display
- Press and hold "Temp Set" until "CL" displays, then release
- Wait five seconds and press and hold "Temp Set" until "Er" displays, then release
- Press "On/Off" to turn off
Press "On/Off" to turn on
TO RESET CONTROL BOARD, SHORT PIN 15 TO GROUND???

do you have the service manual?
No I do not a service manual, Went to Norcolds web site (Thetford) and found nothing to help me. This unit flashes the codes, 3 flashes indicated a ac element failure. Now this could be the power module, the ac element, fuses. The mistake I made was I didn't apply ac power to the element. On the otherhand,I learned that you can replace the heater without removing the unit on a 30B Sightseer and maybe it will help someone.

I do have photos of what has to be done to replace the heater,I hope to get them posted as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Norcold is very unfriendly about sharing info, even online manuals ...guess they are not into customer service. To get the manuals you need, go to Bryant RV Services ...in the links on the left side you will find manuals, etc. That's where I got all my Norcold owner manuals, service manuals, etc. Bryant is a great resource.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
No I do not a service manual, Went to Norcolds web site (Thetford) and found nothing to help me. This unit flashes the codes, 3 flashes indicated a ac element failure. Now this could be the power module, the ac element, fuses. The mistake I made was I didn't apply ac power to the element. On the otherhand,I learned that you can replace the heater without removing the unit on a 30B Sightseer and maybe it will help someone.

I do have photos of what has to be done to replace the heater,I hope to get them posted as soon as I figure out how to do it.
this is probably the same thing that afchap posted, but a direct link.

http://www.bryantrv.com/docs.html
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Norcold is very unfriendly about sharing info, even online manuals ...guess they are not into customer service. To get the manuals you need, go to Bryant RV Services ...in the links on the left side you will find manuals, etc. That's where I got all my Norcold owner manuals, service manuals, etc. Bryant is a great resource.
Once again, Bryant RV Services did not have anything on a N611RT Norcold. The site is great and have added it to my Favorites. Thank you for your help.

Leo
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Once again, Bryant RV Services did not have anything on a N611RT Norcold. The site is great and have added it to my Favorites. Thank you for your help.

Leo
i believe that this document covers the norcold 61x series:

http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Old 04-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i believe that this document covers the norcold 61x series:

http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
The problem is that the 61X and 81X series are not the same as N611RT unit. The only thing I found at Norcold is the operators manual which comes with the coach folder, bryant has the same info. its a good thing that the wiring diagram is on the unit, or you would be in never never land trying to check it out. The N611RT must be an orphan, not much info on it from Norcold.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I really don't understand why the abundance of Norcold units in these RV's - they seem to consistently suffer from short lifespan and early failures... The OEM Dometic in our '88 KIT 5er has operated flawlessly for 22 years - and the Dometic in our recently purchased '88 Winnie was the first thing needing replacement - the visual quality between the Dometic and Norcold seems pretty self-evident - and the steady reports on boards like this of Norcold issues sure doesn't speak well for their lifespan or general quality...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote