Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No Toad!

We been considering not having our car! Crazy or Not?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Whatcha driving (rv)?
Do you leave the park often?

We needed a bigger car for a couple days and were able to rent through an app called Turo. (It was more convenient than the local Enterprise)

I think (us) not having a car is crazy but we’re always running when we are at different parks so it would be crazy to have to travel all the time.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
we wen toad-less for 17-years and managed. we've had a toad for the past 16-years and wouldn't be without it. so, yes, you can be toad-less..but why would you want to be?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Site Team

I went with the smaller motorhome, so the need for a toad is greatly reduced. Also, I have a mortal fear of ending-up in HELL! Could it be from a childhood trauma which still haunts me to this day?
Old 09-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have done it both ways in the past. Now we decide based on the trip whether to tow or not. Sometimes you might leave the towed and rent, other times you just won't need it, then you might. This time we towed a bit over 3k miles.

It is an easier drive without the thing but if you need it a lot worth the effort. The towed has been a lifeboat over the years as well when the motorhome went to the RV doctor for various ailments.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is one of those some people do and some people do not. I myself would not be without a toad. The toad gives me a way to get off the highway if my rig breaks down, it offers me the freedom to come and go as I please. I would not want to setup camp then have to brake camp to go to the store or sightsee.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well
It's certainly up to each individual or couple to travel in an RV with or without a toad. Now, there's only about a thousand situations where, being WITHOUT a toad could be not only costly but, downright dangerous. I'm talking something like a $10 part on your RV gives up the ghost and, shuts down your engine in the middle of nowhere, in the heat or, dead of night and or, in the freezing cold or, in an otherwise less than desireable neighborhood etc. and, what, you're gonna call "uber" when your in any of those places? Yeah sure.

Or, you've been driving your RV for hours and, are tired and just get setup in your camp and would like to go find a place for dinner but, noooooooo, you have disconnect and use your RV to go find dinner. Nope, no thanks. We've been broken down TWICE and, both times it was in the middle of nowhere.

Our coach never moves an INCH without a toad. The security, the convenience, the COMFORT of knowing we have alternate transportation at our command. To us, there is NO problems or issues or even a cost due to having a toad. I don't know a single sole that drives their RV on a daily basis for regular routine ops. So, if you have to have a car/truck/suv/etc., why not make it also your toad?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We've had 3 Class As in 35 years, and never had a toad. On our big trip next year, we are considering renting a car at 2 layover stops out of a 30 day trip.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We never leave home without our toad. Basically for me, it’s a matter of needing a vehicle in case of an emergency. On our last trip to Colorado and Montana, we lost power twice and had a place to put the pups in the toad with air conditioning... it was hot too!
For us...it’s not a luxury, but a necessity.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Toad or not

We have a 24' Winnebago Spirit motor home and two electric bikes. Most of the time if we need to get someplace we use the bikes. Occasionally we call for an Uber. While in Key West we used public buses . If worst comes to worst, we can unhook the water and electric and drive the motor home.
millards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

1 year without
1 year with bicycles (to old to do that again)
2 years with (will never be without toad again)
We don't travel the main roads all the time or have cell phone coverage all the time. If breakdown, toad affords transportation for repairs. Plus, the MPG is better in the toad then our small class A.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have a 27’ Vista and always tow our Wrangler
Once we stop and have freedom to go anywhere, park anywhere to explore and fully take advantage of the surroundings to enjoy the trip to the fullest
Sure we could call Uber or Enterprise but why add a complication to a free spirited trip
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Highwaybrated scooter :)

We have a rack on the back with a 155cc Honda scooter. $3000 for the scooter, $200 for the rack. Ish.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Part of our delight in rv'ing is making day trips around where we are parked. We pull "4-down" and the minor inconvenience of hooking up the car is greatly outweighed by the many fun day trips we've made once we reach our destination.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

As you can see below, we have a smaller Class A. We can go most anywhere except for the very narrow or off pavement roads. Generally there is no problem finding space in a parking lot (think Starbucks) or at most campgrounds. It takes less than 10 minutes each to hook up or unhook. No slideout to fuss with, which I consider a big plus. At a campground we leave to go sightseeing on a daily basis. We can find an interesting spot to have lunch and have everything with us. Yes, there have been a few instances where a toad would have been handy, but we can do nicely without one.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellOnWheels View Post
Part of our delight in rv'ing is making day trips around where we are parked. We pull "4-down" and the minor inconvenience of hooking up the car is greatly outweighed by the many fun day trips we've made once we reach our destination.

Absolutely agree
Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

57 years of RVing--didn't have a "towed" until about 25 years ago. Since then we have had a "towed", but not always taken it with us. It depends on the trip. For example when we go to the French Quarter RV resort in New Orleans, a "Towed" is a detriment--and Uber/Lyft, is cheaper than car parking anywhere you go. A specific short trip to a state or national park--no towed. If we go on a long trip, where touring during the day or we are going to be somewhere we have longer drives, the "towed" goes with us.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
We been considering not having our car! Crazy or Not?
You'll most likely change your mind after a few trips. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:14 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Never had a toad. Our cars can't be towed and need a trailer and I'd rather not. We made a SW winter trip a few years ago, staying for a week at a time. A simple matter of calling up Enterprise and have a car delivered to you.
Paul038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Good for you! It's much EASIER and less expensive. Buy an electric bike, they make all styles and models now but I bought a RAD CITY. You can add a basket for trips to the grocery store. They even make TRIKE models if you feel unsteady on two wheels. That way you have EASY convenient transportation for trips up to about 25 miles with steep hills too. Easy. Cheap. Fun. No car to tow!

Tags
toad