Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone explain why Winnebago does not offer the Hydro-Hot in at least their Vectras/Horizons? Since this is on our list of must-haves for our next coach, Winnebago has lost a repeat customer.

Tim
Oz-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone explain why Winnebago does not offer the Hydro-Hot in at least their Vectras/Horizons? Since this is on our list of must-haves for our next coach, Winnebago has lost a repeat customer.

Tim
Old 12-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would guess it is because Winnebago offers heat pumps...although both would be nice.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've heard a lot of good things about Hydro-hot but it adds quite a bit of complexity to the coach and it is only relevant for heating and not for cooling. I would rather not have all of that plumbing and a diesel-fired furnace, not to mention the added weight for just heat and hot water.

My objective is to winter where the heat pump is effective a majority of the time; the few times where it is not, the propane furnace will work fine.

If I was going to do a lot of camping in really cold weather, I think the Hydro-hot would warrant serious consideration in a coach.

Perhaps Winnie product designers are thinking along the same lines - who knows? Having or not having Hydro-hot (or whatever they call it) was not a deal maker/breaker for me. I was focused on many other attributes which I considered far more important for my use.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hydro-Hot has gained popularity in motorhomes, but only recently. Tiffin first came out with it in the 2003 Allegro Bus and the Newmar Dutch Star followed shortly thereafter. I would expect that Winnebago will have to offer this one of these years, due to the popularity. I would only expect to see it in the Vectra and Horizon, though. It's quite a change to sest up a coach for hydronic heating and the extra engineering cost has to be justified. The hot water heater gets removed and generally the Hydro-Hot unit goes there. Then all the cabinets get modified to replace heat vents with mini radiators with blowers, etc, etc. Once Winnebago sees that hydronic heat is popular, they'll offer it.

If I were strictly a fair weather camper I wouldn't worry about it but colder weather really does bring out the advantages to it. We want to do more winter camping around Grand Teton and Yellowstone and while the dual propane furnaces keep my Bus nice and warm, I'll need to tow an LP tanker if we want to do some extended stays. Our next coach will definitely have Hydro-Hot.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

As a follow up to my own post, spoke with a dealer next door to the park I'm in who deals both Winnebago and Monaco brands. Their take was that hydro-hot was not yet trouble-free enough for a conservative company like Winnebago....this dealer has (allegedly) seen several cases of these systems failing, and don't even want to work on them because of the complexity. Guess if these things fail they have the potential to flood your entire basement. Just repeating what they told me.

Was an option that sounded nice, but will have to relook...heated floors, now THAT is an option.

Tim
Old 12-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Keep in mind guys that Winnebago had HydroHot in their Ultimate Freedom in the 2003, and 2004 models. I always wanted HydoHot BUT if it quits you lose your heating system, and your hot water. The Freedom's have heat pumps in addition to the HydroHot systems too.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Having looked really hard at a 2004 Monaco Dynasty before ordering the Vectra,I did an extensive amount of reading and asking questions IRT the hydro-hot systems and I especially agree with John C. and Cruzer...I do know Winnie was there with the Ultimate,but have heard a fair amount of issues with the hydro-hot from Monaco folks too...
Being the fair weather campers we are,I'd still like the chance to "opt out" of the Hydro-hot if Winnie ever went there.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The 03, 04 Ultimate Freedoms had hydro hot and I seriously looked at them. IMHO the Hydro hot systems requires more routine maintenance than you would expect, they are complex systems with more water lines, fuel lines,wiring,blowers,tank, diesel burner etc., they are noisy especially outside the coach, and smell of diesel especially outside the coach. IMHO, the heat pump and 2 propane furnaces are ideal for what we do. If we were going to spend extended time in very cold climates the hydro hot might may be worth it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi all,

That was one option we really wanted. So we just installed a propane fired boiler system for heating and hot water. We can shower for 75 min. (if you like), turn on the laundry directly after showering, then do dishes without running out of hot water. The other reason for the change out was the Five zone heating. (we have one zone just for the potty room. ) It is extremely quite and uses way less propane. Also the heating is much more even and quieter than the forced air furnace. We still have the large furnace under the kitchen area as a back up(just in case of failure) as well as the original water heater ( which is drained).

We will eventually remove the water heater once we get some track record with boiler.

Wouldn't go back in a heart beat.

Cheers!!!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote