Old 06-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Artcie - as someone else mentioned, don't hesitate to run your generator and house air conditioner(s). Many of us do that. It provides much more even comfort throughout the coach. I've read several articles that say you'll actually save fuel by doing that. The generator doesn't use much fuel (~.5gal/hr) and the increased mpg more than makes for it...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Wow. I was worried that the generator would use up too much fuel to run the A/C while going down the highway. The coach A/C units do a nice job of cooling things down when we are at the CG.

I do have one question... I'd like to keep our residential refrigerator on and keep the food cool on the way to Iowa next month. I was told when we did our walk-through that the refrigerator's power comes from the inverter. Isn't the inverter charging while driving? So if that is true, if we are driving down the highway, we wouldn't be draining the inverter by running the refrig, would we???

I'm going to be front and center during those seminars at the GNR next month! You don't know what you don't know! (One of my fav sayings.) This website has been so helpful. Not only have I learned so much from your comments, but gained some insight by browsing through other threads. Thanks for your help!

We do have an appointment with the Ford Dealership on Thursday morning. Jimmy has been looking at cars there (there is a Toad in our future) and that didn't hurt any. He said the dealership seemed very receptive and wanted to help. :-)
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Artcie - as someone else mentioned, don't hesitate to run your generator and house air conditioner(s). Many of us do that. It provides much more even comfort throughout the coach. I've read several articles that say you'll actually save fuel by doing that. The generator doesn't use much fuel (~.5gal/hr) and the increased mpg more than makes for it...
I seriously doubt you'll see a fuel savings by running the Onan generator. The typical dash AC unit requires between 2 and 5 HP depending on the heat and humidity. The 5500 watt air cooled HGJAB-J Onan generator uses a 12.9 horsepower engine. It uses .6 gallons per hour at 1/2 load and .9 gallons per hour at a full load.

The dash air is designed to keep only the cab area cool, while the house air conditioner(s) are designed to keep the entire coach cool.

Tags