Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Newbie buying first coach! 2005 Joureny 39K Questions

Hi everyone,
We have been looking for well over a year for our first motorhome and have had many disappointing trips just to find coaches that are not well maintained.
However, we have seen this one and it looks to be in excellent condition. Does anyone have any information on this Joureny 39k that they would like to share or just any comments about Winnebago product. We just want to make sure that our first motorhome is amazing!! Here is the unit. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...39K-5008937851
sjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome!
Best of luck in buying your first motor coach. Always and exciting and worrysome time.

I looked at the photos and read the description and you're correct that does look nice and clean. Hopefully, it will look that way when you see it first hand.

There are surely hundreds of things to check, but I noticed that the Bedroom TV has not been updated to a flat panel TV. I couldn't tell on the Front TV. But that's usually an item that needs changed if not updated.

Also, be sure to ask about acquiring the service contract and how much it costs to transfer that policy over to you. Some are inexpensive, orthers not so much.

I edited your title to add info about your coach in the hopes that others with more experience can find your post and jump in with help as well.

Again, welcome and safe travels!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Team

I thought of a couple of other things. Check the inverter to see if it's a Pure Sine Wave inverter or a Modified Sine Wave inverter. At that age of coach it's likely a MSW inverter and those are not as desired as a PSW. Good for running TVs and basic appliances, but can be problematic for modern items like laptops, etc. A lot has changed in the past 14 years with electronics.

Also, your coach has a 10w solar panel - don't think of that as it being set up for solar panels and that you can add more to it. It's a very rudimentary system that's of little use. It's only 10 watts, it doesn't really have a solar charge controller and it's not upgradable. Obviously, you can still add a complete solar system just know that you'd have to start from scratch to do so.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Welcome Some other things to check are the bays for water leaks and doors. Also flush the toilet to see if it leaks as that is not fun if it does, ours did and got a new toilet we have extended warrantee that paid for it. Cummins is a good engine I am sure you will like it likewise so is Freightliner a good chassis. Looks clean but look it over good for possible problems. Good luck. We bought a 2005 Vectra last Sept and love it. No major problems.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much for your reply! We are so excited we can hardly stand it! We are both in real estate as a team and we def have an eye for issues...we appreciate your help!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the advise on the inverter...lol...still not sure what the heck that thing does but I will certainly ask about it and good ol google can help me along the way!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Just got back from looking at this coach and I was very impressed...super clean, everything seems to work perfectly and the outside paint is in excellent condition for the age...only 3-4 very small issues.....I like it!! now onto how much it is worth! Any suggestions on pricing...listed at 60k
Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Is a dealer selling it or is it for sale by owner? I assume a dealer.

If a dealer is selling he's probably marked it up $15,000 or so more than he paid to acquire it.

NADA Low retail is $49,000. High retail is $59,0000. So, he's priced it at high retail. You should probably try to get it as close to $50,000 as possible. I'd guess he gave $40,000 to $45,000 for it in trade-in.

Don't let the dealer try to add on the value of custom items that the previous owner installed, if any. Custom additions are sunk costs and don't add to value.

And, be absolutely sure the Tire dates are newer, that they won't age out soon and don't have sidewall cracks. If the tires are bad the cost of new tires should be removed from the sales price. Sometimes if they get a coach with bad tires they'll take used tires or tires off of some other used coach and you can end up with "new tires" that aren't matching in ages or in very good shape.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the response. I am dealing with a private owner who is very upfront about everything and just retired from Law enforcement so I feel he is a honest man. Tires are 7 yr old michelins and I agree I am going to try to get it at 50k...just because it is a beautiful coach.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Site Team

Here's a dealer near you selling a very similar RV for $51,950 asking price: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...39K-5008438674
Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Yes, saw that one too...looks pretty nice..has over 100k miles...thanks for taking the time....can't wait to get on the road!!!!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Site Team

Hopefully you've been told that 7 year old tires should be replaced all around right away. Like very first thing. Don't put that off. And, calculate that additional cost into your negotiations.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
sjn
Winnebago Camper

YES! that is the first thing that I will do for sure...I have been a research fanatic for over a year...lol. I appreciate your comments and suggestions and will take them to heart!!

Tags