Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Winnebago Purchase - Dealer Story

True Story RV Dealer

We were looking to trade our TT for a class A. We knew what the TT was worth and found an older class A that was priced way too high. Talked to the dealer and he said he could not come down any more on the class A. He then made an offer for our TT that was $16,000 more that the TT was worth. We told him we had to think about it and left.

Next day we went back and told him since he was willing to make such a good deal, we want the bigger, new class A setting close by. All of a sudden our TT was worth a LOT less. I confronted him and asked how my TT had depreciated that much over night.

After some stammering and stuttering, his best answer was "that wasn't real money. You and I both know your TT wasn't worth that." I agreed and told him we both knew his used Class A wasn't worth what he was asking either.

I told him he basically tried to make an extra 16K at my expense. He wound up dropping the new Class A over 40K which I was comfortable with and gave me a fair price for my TT.

I had already sought out competing prices for the same rig and we got this one only a little higher than I had found elsewhere. However, by buying local I did not have to travel out of state, and both he and the service manager admitted local buyers get priority on service appointments and repairs. Plus this was the only rig we were able to locate in the color scheme the wife liked.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

I will make a post later on the day long pre-inspection of the rig.

Chuck and Katie
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
True Story RV Dealer

We were looking to trade our TT for a class A. We knew what the TT was worth and found an older class A that was priced way too high. Talked to the dealer and he said he could not come down any more on the class A. He then made an offer for our TT that was $16,000 more that the TT was worth. We told him we had to think about it and left.

Next day we went back and told him since he was willing to make such a good deal, we want the bigger, new class A setting close by. All of a sudden our TT was worth a LOT less. I confronted him and asked how my TT had depreciated that much over night.

After some stammering and stuttering, his best answer was "that wasn't real money. You and I both know your TT wasn't worth that." I agreed and told him we both knew his used Class A wasn't worth what he was asking either.

I told him he basically tried to make an extra 16K at my expense. He wound up dropping the new Class A over 40K which I was comfortable with and gave me a fair price for my TT.

I had already sought out competing prices for the same rig and we got this one only a little higher than I had found elsewhere. However, by buying local I did not have to travel out of state, and both he and the service manager admitted local buyers get priority on service appointments and repairs. Plus this was the only rig we were able to locate in the color scheme the wife liked.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

I will make a post later on the day long pre-inspection of the rig.

Chuck and Katie
Interesting story. Congratulations on your purchase and am looking forward to your post on your pre-inspection.

We live in southern Arizona and this area is honeycombed with RV dealers, but there is only one large RV place that carries new Class C and Class B RVs. We visited a lot of dealers but, since we were looking for a new small Class B or Class C, we ended up at that one large local dealer and their prices are "fixed" in the sense that they will not negotiate unless they have no other choice. It does not help that they are really the only authorized Winnebago dealer within 100 miles.

I also thought about buying out of state or, at the very least, out of the local area, but decided that service was important so I should stay local when buying. I don't know if it will actually help when we need service, but we shall see.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hope you have many years together enjoying your new rig..DW and I did a similar "deal".. and we quickly realized it was just a matter of the dealer juggling the money pot...you cannot have it both ways!..but the trick is to meet somewhere in the middle... and finally we all ended up with a smile and came away happy campers...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Like you said the used RV was way over priced. That excess in price is what allowed him to make you a artificial high trade in value.

If you go to buy a new car on a cash basis and then throw a trade into the mix you either won't get squat for your trade or the price of the new vehicle will be raised.
Dealerships make good money off trade ins, many times basically getting them for free..............that's where they make their money.
I have always sold my used vehicles myself and buy from the dealer for a "cash price" I come out way ahead every time.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, purchase, winnebago