Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Owners Winnebago Journey 39Z

Hello (I’ve also posted this in iRV.com),

My wife and I just purchased a used 08 Journey 39Z, our first RV!

I have a few questions that will help me greatly.

1) The RV was at my Garage/shop and I wanted to connect to a power source. I have a 30 amp welding receptacle next to the garage door so I thought I’d swap out the receptacle. I didn’t have a 50 amp but I did have a 30 amp RV receptacle (some of you may already know where this is going). I changed the receptacles and grabbed the 50 to 30 amp adapter and plugged thing it in.
I had the MH GEN running to support what was on inside. When I shut down the GEN my wife started yelling at me...
I smoked the SAT receiver... grabbed the receiver and pulled it out of the cabinet then ran to the garage to unplug the shoreline cord...

There you have it. I’m sure I’m not the first to do/experience this but unfortunately I learned the hard way.

30 amp RV service is NOT a 240 VOLT setup!!!! Only 50 amp is 240 v. I guess...

Looks like I also smoked the DVD player.

So... it appears that everything else is working properly. The only thing I’m unsure of is the inverter. The fan runs on the unit installed in the left side exterior compartment but I can’t get the interior control panel/display to work.

Can anyone tell what else I can expect to find fried because I didn’t do my homework? It also has a in-motion SAT antenna that I obviously can’t test right now.

2) Headlight upgrade? Drove the MH for the first time last night. My 55 year old eyes would like something better. The headlight need to be adjusted and the lenses cleaned.

Is there a upgrade such as LED conversion that could improve the system?

3) Windshield wiper problems? Previous owner warns of a issue, says he’s had them worked on and replaced parts. I’m not going to mess with them until I replace the blades.

Is the wiper system a issue on these MHs?

4) Backup Cameras/Monitors
The system appears to be black/White but the manual indicates it’s a color monitor. I’d like to have the best color system available (plug and play if possible)

Has anyone updated the Jensen Voyager system? Are the cameras only capable of black and white but it is a color monitor? Is it wired or wireless?

That’s enough for now. Thank you!
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The easiest way to upgrade your headlights is to change the low beam bulbs to Silverstar Ultras. Can change the high beam bulbs too if you use them a lot.

The other AC powered systems that may have taken damage is your 120 Volt to 12 Volt converter / charger, and your microwave oven. Make sure when plugged into 120 volts that you are still charging your batteries, and that your microwave still works.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I checked the microwave, it appeared to work.
The display for the converter didn’t appear to be working. I’m betting it’s fried. Probably time for an upgrade.
I’m ready to order the EMS HW50C unit to prevent this in the future.
Apparently Progressive Dynamics makes a great battery charging unit?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If I start the GEN (undocked), when I check engine or house battery voltage should I see greater that 13 volts indicating the is a charge in progress ?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One thing I saw in your post I would like to circle back on. The comment about 50A RV's being 240V. Well......could be but probably NOT. Typical RV's with 50A shore power connections are wired in a "Split Phase" configuration. That 50A receptacle is wired with (2) 120V / 50A hot legs, (1) Neutral and (1) ground. As such, it is sending (2) separate 120V power legs to your main panel at 50 amps each. Those two hot legs (L1 & L2) are not combined to give 240V as your coach PROBABLY does not have anything in it that requires 240V power. In this configuration, you have the potential for 12,000 watts of power (50A x 120V = 6000W) x 2.
It is possible that a 240V load be supported but that would be function of the wiring for that particular load. You can always check your power source prior to connecting to a 50A receptacle. If you measure hot to hot you will read 240V. If you measure one Hot to ground (L1), you will read 120V. If you measure the other hot (L2) to ground, you will measure 120V. This is assuming the receptacle and wired correctly and the power source is adequate and regulated. Hope you didn't hurt too much. Might check the transfer switch too.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help.

Help me with the term “transfer switch”. Are you referring to the switch that would swap the load from the GEN to Shoreline when plugged in?

I checked a few more things out today. Microwave worked fine.

I checked House and Engine battery voltages. Each in the mid 12 v range. Then I started the GEN and let it run for several minutes before checking voltage again. House Batt volt above 14, Engine Batt mid 13 volt and climbing. I HOPE this indicates the battery charging system is working when on GEN power. The inverter system interior display is dead...

Thank you!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You are correct....by transfer switch I am referring to the "Automatic Transfer Switch" or ATS that transfers from Generator power to Shore Power. Your generator will typically have "Priority" from the ATS, meaning if the generator is running and the coach is plugged into shore power, the ATS will automatically switch to receive power from the genset. SO, lets say you are traveling with your genset running (which I most always do to run my house AC). You get to your camp site, plug into shore power nothing changes until..... The moment you shut down the genset, the ATS "switches" over to shore power....so fast, you don't even know it happened. Conversely, if you are plugged into shore power and you start your genset, as soon as the genset has come up to RPM and stabilizes, the ATS will automatically switch to the genset for power supply.
It does sound like you are still charging batteries which is good but that is going to be DC voltage coming from your "Converter" yes?. For your Inverter, I don't mean to ask a dumb question but are you sure the inverter is "ON"? I don't ever really use mine (a Xantrex 1000) but I think mine can be switched "off"?
Old 10-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Today I operated the RV on battery power only. I tested the TV and microwave. Both operated normally. I also checked voltage/polarity on some of the other receptacles. All good.
I tinkered for about two hours until the house batteries indicated 11.2 v then started the gen. Wasn’t long before house batteries were charging at 14.1v and engine batt was above 13v.
Then started engine and shut gen down. No significant change in status.
I’m very relieved at this point.
Still not sure about the in motion sat system. Won’t know until I get set up with a new sat receiver.
Thank you for all your advice and info. I’ll stay in touch as I proceed with other items.
Found out today that the wipers pop the CB...
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

All great news. So, your inverter is definitely working. I think you dodged a bullet!!! I am thinking you will find your SAT system is fine too. Hope so. Hey, enjoy that RV. Check in on the forum often as there is lots of great info here. I have learned things I did not know I did not know. I have also read things that made me say "wait a minute" and got me to go off on my own search for knowledge, either through my owners manuals or just crawling the web. Have fun. Stay safe!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I do find it interesting that Winnebago would send this rig out the door without a surge protector. Any manufacturer of any unit for that matter. I also discovered that I do have a color backup monitor but BW cameras... just a couple of the puzzling things and I’m sure I’ll find many more.
I can tell already I’m going to enjoy tinkering with this thing and making improvements. I do fear the possibility of big ticket failures...
Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ah...don't worry about the Big Ticket failures........I've had enough of those to cover everyone!!! No, really enjoy it, learn all you can about it and by all means tinker with it. I will demand your attention but it will reward your efforts too.
Hey, my rear monitor is color in the day time but looks black and white in the dark. Just FWIW.
Carry on!!!

Tags
journey, winnebago