Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Tour 42QD

Question New Owner with questions - 2016 Tour 42QD

I just found and registered to winnieowners yesterday.

We are the new owners of a 2016 Tour 42QD. We want to take out the factory air bed and replace it. I've tried everything I can to figure out how, short of taking all the nuts and screws off the articulating head piece, cutting the hoses, and trying to get access to the mid section of the bed platform. Can someone advise me here on what to do please?

Also, the electric panel by the door indicates there is a "porch lite". I've turned it on and off and can't discern any lite coming on. The exterior grab bar has a transparent mid section with what may be led lites inside, but I don't know. Can someone help here please? Thank you.

Richard
rmedlock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Richared, Welcome!
I changed the title of your thread from your email address to something that will get more helpful attention to your questions. Titling your threads with enough info to help us help you is always best.

I don't have a Tour, but I'd guess you have the "air mattress" the I-Deal Rest that WBGO puts on most all of it's big coaches. If so, it's easy to remove the mattress and many of us have done so. Let us know if that's the mattress you're talking about and I'll be happy to walk you through the process.

I replaced mine with a "Leesa" foam mattress in a box. It's a big improvement.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Tour 42QD

I replied to the email - wrong. Yes it's an Ideal Rest (for some reason the bamboo has become stinky). Please help and I will be grateful. Do you know anything about the "porch lite" please?
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Team

To remove the Ideal Rest
1. From the bare mattress, at the foot look under the piping bead around the top layer of memory foam. You’ll see zippers. It’s possible they’ve been moved away from the bottom. Is just look for them.

2. Unzip the entire top all the way around. Now you see the two separate air chambers.

3. Use the hand controls to empty each chamber. You should the be able to remove each chamber. If I remember correctly there is a connector to remove the hose from the air pump. It’s at the foot of the mattress in the middle.

4. You can lift off the bamboo covered pillow top but do not wash it in a machine or even a tub of water. I hear that it ruins it.

5. There are two foam pieces connected with cloth that make up the sides and another set at the head/foot. You just pull those off.

6. The pump is plugged in under the plywood bed base.

Note: the Tour May have the pump under that base. I’ve heard others say that. Mine was above the base and the plug ran into a hole cut in the plywood.

When replacing the mattress there are sizing concerns. The OEM mattress is a RV King, not a standard size. You can get a custom mattress made, there are some online places selling RV Kings. Or you can do as I did and buy a California King. It’s the correct width but two inches too long. On my RV there was a 2” foam header spacer wrapped in cloth and mounted to a thin piece of plywood. That piece was attached to the headboard with a couple of screws. To make the California King fit, I just removedthat spacer and every thing has worked with o problems.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Here’s a video on how to assemble the mattress - so you’ll be just doing this in reverse.

https://youtu.be/FcMk_jOb9_k

Here’s my Leesa mattress, we also removed the headboard because we didn’t like the look. We put vinyl wood-look planking there instead. But this wasn’t necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BB13860-CACF-4B95-89F9-F00F9ECAE524.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	170914  
Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedlock3 View Post
Do you know anything about the "porch lite" please?
Not sure on the Tour. We have an outside light mounted on the sidewall above and to the left of our door, but our door isn’t at the passenger seat like on a Diesel pusher. I don’t think yours would be set up like ours.

We have the clear handle that looks like it lights up, but ours does not. I’ve seen many that look identical and do light, so I guess they make them both ways. I even took ours off just to check.

If you have an awning over your door extend that and try the porch lite switch. It could be LEDs under the awning.

Some Tour owner will chime in soon, I’m sure.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ironically, the only "porch light" shown on the 2016 Tour is on the curb side between the slides. Your patio area must be lit with awning lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture  10.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	170916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 28.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	170917  

Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Tour 42QD

Thumbs up Thank you......

Meridan42E - only porch lite on ours is just over the utility bay. I haven't extended the door awning to see if it would lite then - next try.

creativepart - I will see tomorrow if I can get things to work. I don't know if the articulating head piece will make a difference. If I get it to work, I will post. If I don't get it to work, I will post.

Thank you both again.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Tour 42QD

Smile Success!

I had already typed this in length and the forum erased it. Many thanks to all owners who responded. And to Nick and Grant at Winnebago Technical Help 800-537-1885. John Thatcher from Colonial RV for the real 800 number. Dave Chandler from INNOMAX Ideal Rest beds for the owner's manual. I would attach pics but don't know how so here is the detailed steps:
1. Flatten the bed;
2. Exhaust all the air in the bladders with the remote controls;
3. Unzip the top cover of the mattress and leave it attached;
4. Take out the HEAVY inner foam mattress;
5. Zip it back up sans the inner mattress;
6. Fold what's left up to the head of the bed;
and 7. Lift the remaining platform and there is your access for all the bed components.
Again, thank everyone so much.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Itasca Owner

My Suncruiser has a light underneath the steps that turns on when the steps extend. Might your switch turn them on when they are left extended?
EdgewoodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

rmedlock3 early model 2016 42QD's had a porch light over the door.Late model 2016 42QD's do not. So they didn't put light on but put the switch in.
The number after the Y in the Winnebago serial number designates whether it is early (1) or late (3) model. No (2) for the 2016 42QD
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The porch light is an LED strip on the bottom of the porch awning cover. At least that's where it is on my 2016 Tour 42QD. The light should come on anytime you unlock the door with you key fob. I'm pretty sure the door grab handle lights up as well.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Tour 42QD

Smile new owner with questions 2016 Tour 42QD

For tpflyer - found the lite strip first time we used the key fob and thanks all the same.

For grtharris - I now understand as we have one of the last 2016s, so I'll bet it does NOT have a porch lite. We need to get it serviced soon so we have a list of things that need attention. Thank you also for your clarification about having a switch but no lite.

For edgewoodpete - our old Discovery had an under step lite and it was handy and helpful. Wish this one did also. Thank you for your input also.

I still don't know what all I can and cannot do with regards to this forum, but I'm gonna learn!

Thank you to everyone.