Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Owner

We made a deposit on a 2005 Adventurer today. Unfortunately there was a death of the owner and nobody can give us a walk through. We've had older motorhomes but so much new technology is going to be a challenge.

Before we take possession next week, we would like to see the TV's work and today we couldn't make that happen. I got the book out but no luck. The generator was running, I put the Auxillary switch on and a few other things it said to do but no luck. Can somebody get me going on this? We won't have shore power at the storage facilty to try it. What about the inverter? How does that fit the picture? It's a 300 watt.

Be expecting a lot of questions until we learn. I need your help. So excited, this is a beautiful rig.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Being new myself it took a few minutes to find out the TV will not work if the engine is running!

:welcome:
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Being new myself it took a few minutes to find out the TV will not work if the engine is running!

:welcome:
Thank you for the welcome! The engine was not running.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum, but slow down a bit. There is a lot more to worry about other than the TVs working. You need to check the frig, the water systems, propane system, check for water leaks, tire dates, maintenance records. Before you plunk down the cash, you need to have the unit checked thoroughly by an RV technician as we as a mechanic check the chassis, brakes, hoses, belts, etc.

Check the codes on the tires for the manufacture date. Over 5 years old you will need to be looking at new tires.

But do slow down and look beyond the pretty and see that everything works and take it fror a good long drive on the highway. If it is Workhorse chassis, be sure the recalls have been done. Make sure the frig is not one with a recall.

Ken
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Welcome to the forum, but slow down a bit. There is a lot more to worry about other than the TVs working. You need to check the frig, the water systems, propane system, check for water leaks, tire dates, maintenance records. Before you plunk down the cash, you need to have the unit checked thoroughly by an RV technician as we as a mechanic check the chassis, brakes, hoses, belts, etc.

Check the codes on the tires for the manufacture date. Over 5 years old you will need to be looking at new tires.

But do slow down and look beyond the pretty and see that everything works and take it fror a good long drive on the highway. If it is Workhorse chassis, be sure the recalls have been done. Make sure the frig is not one with a recall.

Ken
All maintenance records are available. The WH recall is uncertain but I have checked into it and I'm aware of the refrigerator issue. New tires are on the list of must do things. I know about tire codes and they were manufactured in 04. Little by little, we're learning.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A 2005 probably has older tv's installed in it. Television stations now have digital signals, so you will need to plug in a digital tv or hook it up to cable tv to see them work.
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
A 2005 probably has older tv's installed in it. Television stations now have digital signals, so you will need to plug in a digital tv or hook it up to cable tv to see them work.

Yes, of course, but I saw no power to them. No static even.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Ken, having the TV's working are way down the list of things to have checked. You need to have the unit checked out by an RV tech & mechanic before buying it, even if you do have the maintenance records.

After all that is done, the coach has been given the "all clear", then you can address the cosmetic issues. As for the TV's, that year will still have had analog CRT TV's in it. You will need to do one of these things:
Get DTV converter boxes to get OTA signals with the CRT TV's
Change out the TV's for digital TV's. Any of the new LCD/LED HD TV's will be digital
Install a satellite/dish system

In our coach, the inverter needs to be on for our TV's to operate. This may or may not be the case with you.

Good luck. Let us know how the inspections go.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi Barb,

I see in your profile your in Winter Haven Florida, is that where the motorhome is? Maybe someone here, who has a similar rig, could take a few minutes and show you the basics? I would, but you're about 1200 miles from me!

There should be power to both TVs in three different ways:

Shorepower hooked up. - TV's simply plugged in and turn on like at home
Generator running - same as shorepower
Inverter - with the inverter on (and the batteries on), and the above sources of power not present, the TV's will run from the inverter.

That is, if the previous owner didn't modify the systems in some manner.

Winnebago does not use an ignition interlock, so the engine running doesn't affect the TVs.

I take it other things work, microwave, outlets, etc, when the generator is on?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Hi Barb,

I see in your profile your in Winter Haven Florida, is that where the motorhome is? Maybe someone here, who has a similar rig, could take a few minutes and show you the basics? I would, but you're about 1200 miles from me!

There should be power to both TVs in three different ways:

Shorepower hooked up. - TV's simply plugged in and turn on like at home
Generator running - same as shorepower
Inverter - with the inverter on (and the batteries on), and the above sources of power not present, the TV's will run from the inverter.

That is, if the previous owner didn't modify the systems in some manner.

Winnebago does not use an ignition interlock, so the engine running doesn't affect the TVs.

I take it other things work, microwave, outlets, etc, when the generator is on?
Yes, other electrical things seemed to work fine. So as some people think this was my only concern, it was not. Guess they just had to be there. I appreciate your kindness.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum!!! We have a 2004 Winnebago. The TV remote won't always work when you have the overhead floresent lights turned on. Try the TV with the lights turned off or try the on/off switch on the TV (not the remote). The coach should have a "satchel" with most of the component books inside of it. These books don't explain everything but will get you started on your understanding of the components. Most other questions can be answered here by the many Winnebago owners.
Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

You don't need new tv's unless you want to use antenna. They will work fine on cable or Sat. First ck above pass seat above dash and see if inverter sw is on. If it is ck breakers or fuses.
Mike & Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Another Welcome. Is there power to the outlet that the T.V. is plugged into?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Did you check the Winegard black distribution box? located in the front overhead cabinet, make sure the red light is on and try it on "tv ant" hope this helps
Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We didn't check the red Winegard light. What does that indicate? I sure appreciate ALL these tips....we'll check it out Tuesday when we bring it home.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I think it is the ant power boost only. Makes no diff on making tv coming on. Ck inverter though!!
Mike & Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Make sure your inverter is turned on. You turn it on in the main panel before the bedroom. Double click it. The inverter will power the micro wave, electrial outlet at sink and TV.

Second make sure your wineguard switch is set to main TV. It is above passenger seat, right side, above windshield.

Good Luck...
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote