Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I are proud new owners of our first motorhome. We purchased a very clean 2003 Sightseer 27C.
Has anyone added a 110 electrical outlet in a basement compartment ?? I am pretty good with electrical, just looking for some tips.
Also the Arizona sun has faded the black latches on the basement compartments, any tips to rejuvenating the black ??
Thanks in advance.....
Mike
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I are proud new owners of our first motorhome. We purchased a very clean 2003 Sightseer 27C.
Has anyone added a 110 electrical outlet in a basement compartment ?? I am pretty good with electrical, just looking for some tips.
Also the Arizona sun has faded the black latches on the basement compartments, any tips to rejuvenating the black ??
Thanks in advance.....
Mike
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

dynamike;

Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. I believe you have found the friendliest site on the Internet. Post often and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group of owners here who are always willing to answer questions. If you would like some Winnebago Karma please ask. I am going to try to add a link to the New Members Forum.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hey Mike - welcome to the forum!

My electrical tip is to use 'Anchor' brand marine stranded wiring and secure your wire run to avoid any possibility of chafe/flexing. Where the wire passes through a bulkhead, use a wire loom (plastic sleeve) over the cable.

If you can remove the latches, take them to a place that can powder coat them.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mike, welcome to our website and forum. I am sure you will enjoy both. Congratulations on your Sightseer motorhome. You have come to the right place for fun and great information. We look forward to reading of the adventures you have and hope you will be an active participant on the forums. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is a product on the market called "back to black". I think Mother's makes it . Available at most national Auto Stores. Works on my mirrors and some trim. Just might work on the latches, be sure to oil and grease them also. Good Luck and Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Try using tire cleaner on your latches, it will turn them jet black. You will have to do it a couple of times a year.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
Congratulations!!! We have a Sightseer too! I hope you have many happy times, and build great memories in your new motorhome!!
I love this forum, and have learned so much from it.
See you on down the road!!!
Winnie SS '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dynamike:
SNIP
SNIP
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I added a GFI outlet with an outdoor cover in my storage bay so I could plug in a small 1500 watt electric heater. Since the power cord is connected in a junction box in that bay it was easy to do.