Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Site Team

New Home Page Reflects New WBGO

I visited the www.winnebagoind.com home page today and see the image below front and center:

Winnebago > Grand Design > Chris Craft > Newmar

Seems in the past there was zero mention of anything other than Winnebago anywhere on the Winnebago Industries website - let alone on the Home Page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 11.15.31 AM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	172519  
Old 12-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Too soon in the takeover cycles to start hammering customer brand loyalty, I would guess.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I was really surprised to see some time ago that Winn owned Grand Design. Winn. travel trailers have a great reputation for quality where GD does not. I lost all respect for GD when they started bragging about a R-40 roof etc etc. To me if a manufacturer states something that is physically impossible, I wonder what other snake oil they're pushing? Haven't seen a 13 inch tall RV roof yet for the R-40 claim and that hot dog wrap sure doesn't add much of anything for insulation. At least other manufacturers who use the same insulation state realistic R values.
I also hate it when the term "thermal windows" are used. They're dual pane windows only. To be thermal they would have to be sealed with a inert gas between panes.
Rant over!...........for now.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I was really surprised to see some time ago that Winn owned Grand Design. Winn. travel trailers have a great reputation for quality where GD does not.
While you have a low opinion of Grand Design, in the general RV buying public they have a very favorable reputation for good customer service.

I have never owned one, but here from other folks about how great GD is all the time. Fact is, ANY specific RV from ANY manufacturer can be good, bad or ugly.

I went to www.granddesignrv.com and looked around at their info. I saw no claims of R40 insulation. I didn't even see a claim for "thermal" windows, only dual-pane. I didn't see any of the things you mentioned even on their "Arctic Package" of options.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
While you have a low opinion of Grand Design, in the general RV buying public they have a very favorable reputation for good customer service.

I have never owned one, but here from other folks about how great GD is all the time. Fact is, ANY specific RV from ANY manufacturer can be good, bad or ugly.
You are very correct about their customer care. They're great about taking care of problems. I know several who had trouble getting into a dealer for a repair and GD will send the part needed to the owner......within reason.
BUT, I have found in life if someone doesn't tell you the truth about something it's wise to question any claim or statement.
One buddy of mine is one of the largest RV dealers in State, he says that Winnebago hands down is the least problematic travel trailer he sells.

I know one guy that their brand new $100,000.00 plus, 16,000 LB Momentum toy hauler when they switched to disc brakes found the brake away brake was completely inoperative.
Another friend a couple years ago had a brand new Reflection went through tires because their axle was off square.

Here is a video on a brand new GD that the roof literally blew off of. Check out the roof construction..........sad
Old 12-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

That video post was great! Thanks for posting it. I will say it was discouraging to see that roof on a new trailer and so far I'm happy to have the WGO View. The other comment is this business is only about 12 miles from my farm and that's a great advertisement and good to know they are there doing great work for folks. The owner of that trailer should be happy when he gets back an RV with a real roof installed.

Thinking about the axle issue you mentioned reminded me that more than one owner of a popular class A RV had to get axles squared, point being that it's kinda hard to pick on one mfg in this industry but indeed some are better than others it seems.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Kayak73, you nailed it on the head. Winnebago has a long history........that speaks for itself.
ALSO...(you'll like this) after seeing how when they do roof replacements they put plastic bushings in the ferrels to protect the wiring.........I saw first hand that Winnebago uses them in the front wall that I saw so I would also think they are using them on the roof side headers also to protect the wires.