Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Need help; where's the 2nd check valve???

I have an 02 Horizon, and had a stuck check valve on the inlet side to the HWH. Removed the guts, put it back together, and all was well. For about a week.

Today, afer settting up in our site (Rally Park), I have very low hot-water pressure at all the hot water faucets (kitchen & bathroom sink, shower head & outside shower), but good pressure on cold. If I open the HWH pressure relief valve at the top of the heater, there is plenty of water volume streaming out there. So the problem is a restriction somewhere on the water heater outlet side, but I cannot find another check valve back there.

I can see the PEX tubing to the hot water outlet, and it goes right to the elbow at the top of the heater. NO valve anywhere in sight.

Any ideas where the 2nd check valve on the hot side, could be? Thanks for any help offered.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Capt.

Normally the check valves are threaded into the HW heater inlet and outlet couplings. If you removed the access panel underneath the MH (6 screws ?) to get to the inlet on the bottom, then you should be able to see the top outlet directly above the inlet. It should be about 14” straight up and it isn’t easy to get at. I seem to remember working blind getting it off and on. I would strongly suggest replacing it with a much better valve if you take the time to remove it. I replaced ours with a brass valve but I don’t remember where I ordered it from.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have been under the water heater, eliminating the problem with the stuck cold water inlet check valve, but like I said in my post, there is none on the hot side. The PEX tubing comes down behind the water heater, and goes directly into the PVC elbow which is screwed into the top of the water heater.

I could take a picture of it to show you, but it is exactly as I described. Only one check valve... cold inlet.

Thanks for the response, in any case.
Indian River, De
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Well I seem to have verified on the plumbing diagrams, that there in fact, is only one check valve. It's spec'd out (V6) on the cold water inlet, and there is no second c.v. on this motorhome.

So if anyone has any other ideas, I'm listening. The hot water flow is too slow to shower, so I am working to a fix, but have had no luck. I've looked for a kinked line, verified good flow to the water heater (by opening up the P.T. valve). Maybe there is debris restricting the hot water line from the heater, that feeds the coach. I will work on that angle tomorrow.

Any and all ideas welcome.
Indian River, De
Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

CaptBill, I'm not sure if this relates to your problem, but when I had my fresh water connection bay open while installing a water pressure regulator behind the panel it seems to me that I remember a check valve connected inline on one of the water lines. I wish I could tell you for sure whether it was the hot or cold side but that is also where the water heater bypass valve is located. Hope this helps.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Capt. Bill,
Sammie has revealed the location of the 'second' hot water check valve, it is in behind the panel of the water system on the drivers side of the coach.
We had a problem with our hot water electric drain valve and removed it. I later had a check valve problem and removed that. We full time and do not go where it is cold so do not need drain valve or check valve.
Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Problem solved. Here's the follow-up. I had sent an email to forum member 'Dale', from Georgia, because in my forum searches, I found a post about check-valves, where I thought he had the same motorhome. He quickly replied (and even provided his phone number), so we chatted a bit, after which I downloaded the plumbing diagram from Winnie. My faxed copy was smeared and hard to read some pages.

The diagram showed a check valve behind the panel in the water compartment, so I removed the panel, and there it was.

I removed the valve body, and retreived all the pieces. Back together, no leaks, and water pressure has been restored. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
Indian River, De
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It is amazing what you learn by following this forum ... I never knew there was a second check valve ... much less where to look for it ...

I knew about the one on the inlet to the HWH ... I had to have that one replaced a while back ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the check valve in the water compartment 1st when I had no hot side flow, but still no flow on the hot water side when in the normal, non-bypass valve mode. (I did not read the forums 1st!) So when I replaced the check valve with a new valve and still no flow to the HWH I thought I installed it backwards not understanding that this one is the one on output side of the HWH (!) and there is another on the inlet side, so I put it in backward and sure enough the water heater fills with water when put on normal! Ahh but still no flow to the faucets. Hmm, Now I read the forums and discover there are 2 valves - one into the HWH on cold inlet and the outlet side is in the water compartment? So now I need to find the valve on the cold inlet to the HWH and replace it (or really pushout the plastic check valve on the inside) and then go back to the one in the water comparement - the new one - and remove it. I think I will save it. Since I took the inards out of the old one I took out earlier as seems what everyone else does the same on the forum to solve this issue once and for all. Thanks for this forum, Jeff
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The inlet valve is near the back side of the heater. Remove the access for the electric element on the back and the bottom panel to gain access. I was able to remove mine from the bottom. It's a tight fit but you should be able to do it without removing the heater.

If you look at the plumbing diagrams carefully you can find the check valves. They are not labled but appear as "bulges" in the lines.

I don't think that you would want to remove both check valves. I'm pretty sure that the one on the outlet side (behind water panel) is necessary for the WH bypass to work properly.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote