Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need help as first time buyer - Sun Cruiser?

We are about to purchase our first motor home and have decided on a Sun Cruiser by Itasca. We are swamped by all of the information and what mistakes we might make in price, used verses new, and generally how to go about ir. Can anybody take us under their wing and advise us?
Racemosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You don't say new or used. You will pay dearly for new and spend a lot of time going back and forth to the dealer to get thing fixed. There are tons of great deals out there on used. Take the time to look, don't be in a hurry and buy the first one you like, and make sure everthing works before you sign the check. Look at e-bay, on classified here and all othe RV sites to get an idea what prices are for what you are looking for. Forget about NADA, as they are terriblly inflated in todays market, unless you can get the wholesale value book. Don't be afraid to negotiate, that is offer a very low price and deal a little. As said, its a buyer market.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Racemosa, Welcome to the forum. You've found a great place for helpful advice. It would help to know what year/model Suncruiser you're considering. Chances are there are several folks here who have or have had that same model, or the Winnebago version of the same.

That said, I'll throw in a quick piece of advice. Check the weight ratings on any RV you consider. You want to compare the weight of the coach with its total capacity and make sure there's plenty of weight available for your passengers and cargo. Some coaches, especially bigger gassers, don't allow for much. So, check it out!

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Great choice you could do way worse.

My CCC is close to 3000 lbs after full fuel, LPG, and the wife, dog, and I. We don't dry camp much, so hardly ever carry a full tank of water, which at 100 gallons is 835 lbs

I have had very few problems with mine, and would highly recommend the Suncruiser.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My previous coach was a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 37G on a Ford chassis. It was a great coach until one day I noticed the roof had lifted out of its side channel for about 6 feet. I could actually see everything under the roof.

It seems the fiberglass roof transitions into a radius on the sides and terminates into a channel running the length of the RV. I think it was the intention of Itasca that the tension of the fiberglass radius against the channel would hold the roof in place since nothing else holds the roof. As the fiberglass roof got older it lost it tension. The problem occurs when the coach is subjected to a broad side wind and the radius acts like the leading edge of a wing causing a suction that lifts the roof. This was proven to me when it happened a second time when traveling down the highway during storm with a strong broadside wind that this time lifted about 20 feet of the roof.

When I called the factory about the problem I was told to put sealant in the channel and put the roof edge into the channel.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

That is one of Winnebago's design flaws. The fiberglass roof is a flat sheet they bend at the sides to tension fit into the side rails. You can see how they do this in their factory video tour on youtube. Eventually these types of roofs are prone to failure. The better roofs are fiberglass with a premolded curved radius creating no tension at the sides.
rocketpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This roof design flaw is easily fixed by sealing the seam from front to back with Eternabond. Winnebago says to inspect and recaulk this seam several times a year. Do it one time with Eternabond and its fixed for probably 10 years.Do a search on this forum and read about it.I did mine 4 years ago and it still looks perfect.Last week,in west Texas,I drove with side wind gusts up to 50mph.I should of parked,but traffic was light and I kept driving.Inspected roof yesterday and found no problems.
flash1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

HI,
Being a first time motorhome buyer I would recommend you go used to try it out and see if you like it before you buy new.

The Suncruiser by Itasca is the Adventurer by Winnebago and is the same coach basically. We have the 33' Adventurer and really love it. Since my DW does the cooking we like the convection/microwave oven and the dual pantries. Ours came through with the oven too as most new ones only have a range type.

I would also start out say with a 33 or 32 foot model before getting a bigger one until you get familiar with the way it handles and gets into a camping site. You also might consider that you will be probably towing something which is another factor to consider.

Our first motorhome was a used 24' Minnie Winnie and then a New 31' Minnie Winnie before the Adventurer which will be our last motorhome but it is a great RV and last year it took us to Alaska and back with no problems.

Good Luck.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We love our Suncruiser--bought it new 11 years and 55,000 miles ago. Whether to buy new or used depends on a lot of things. The first, of course, is how much money you have to spend. But the second is just as important: How much work can you do and will you do in maintaining the thing?

If you love to figure out how things work and are willing to maintain them and keep them working you will definitely save money and have more fun with a used MH. The price depends very much on the condition--not how old or how many miles. Things in a MH wear out and require attention.

Some people lease a car instead of buying so they will always have a relatively new one. I'm sure you can buy a new MH evry couple of years, but the problem is getting the "built-in" problems taken care of.

Anyway, good luck!

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, new buyer