Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need a couple of repair cost "Guesstimations " !!!

We are Looking at a 1997 Winnebago Brave DL 31 RQ....with 58K miles...

Hey...

We have just started posting as newcomers to your wonderful world of RVing....
Here is my concerns about the MH we are going back to look at today...and hope maybe some words of wisdom from you guys will come back our way before we leave to go look again this afternoon....Out of a lot of MH's we have looked at My wife really likes this one (And so do I )....I just do not want to get in over my head in what appears as and what my wife says...... " Oh, what a pretty MH "...and " Ain't it cute !!! " .....because I am the dyed in the wool " Realist" of the couple...and realized non of the repairs would come cheap !!!! HELP ME !!!

1) Firstly, the MH visually appears to have been well taken care of...owned by a retirement age couple.....now 2nd owner has had it for about 6 months.....

2) Concerns about what the new owner has stated:

He says, " Well, the dash A/C "only" needs a little freon in it....it is really simple ...just go get a can of freon from Wally World and you can do it yourself !!! I am thinking if it was that easy....why didn't you do it already, and not be having to tell us this story !!!

3) Told us ..."He thought" that the rear brakes and rotors needed to be fixed/replaced !!! But just on one wheel !!! Yea...is that like buying 1 sock !!!
4) I will check the codes on tires....he said the tires are "Only" 6 months or so old.....I thought ...well which 6 months out of which year are you talking about !!!
5) And from you guys experience .....other than the obvious....does anything come to mind we need to be looking out for ?

Thanks so much for any and all input .........
Studio2bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

ac simple
rear brakes about 6 hours you can do it yourself seems like $100 for pads and i rebuilt calipers myself
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Be carefull and make sure the price is right. I have my "new to me" 88 LaSalle in the shop now. From retired couple, nice people. Took it in for belts, after I had to replace the truck battery that I didnt realize was dead. Found one belt real loose, well they put it on the rack and found the tranny cooler lines leaking, I saw this myself, was right there when it went up, so mech is honest. Bottom line...about $450 belts, and another $400 for tranny cooler and new lines. Yea I'm gonna get a cooler installed while they're at it.
Now I dont know if they knew the lines were leaking but I wish I had crawled under and looked a LOT CLOSER. I would not have bought knowing I need $1000 in repairs right away.
timmer594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Might invest a few bucks in a mobile mechanic to inspect the MH. Could save you some big bucks. Also call a service center for the cost to repair what you already know. It might be cute now but might turn ugly soon if other things need fixin on your dollar.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I can guaranty there will be many maintenance repair items that will need to be done on a coach of that age. Especially if the previous owner had repairs to do, but has not done them yet.
The a/c needing freon is a tip off. When you find a coach that's been properly maintained you won't see obvious problems like that. Sure you could get lucky and it only needs freon, but if that's the case why did'nt the current owner charge it up since it's so easy to fix.
If you are not mechanically minded, stay away from this coach. At least have it inspected by a qualified technician so you know what your getting into and how much money to offer for it. Yes it will cost a few bucks to have it checked out beforehand, but better off that way, then having to hemorrhage cash right after you buy it.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2bn View Post
We are Looking at a 1997 Winnebago Brave DL 31 RQ....with 58K miles...

Hey...

We have just started posting as newcomers to your wonderful world of RVing....
Here is my concerns about the MH we are going back to look at today...and hope maybe some words of wisdom from you guys will come back our way before we leave to go look again this afternoon....Out of a lot of MH's we have looked at My wife really likes this one (And so do I )....I just do not want to get in over my head in what appears as and what my wife says...... " Oh, what a pretty MH "...and " Ain't it cute !!! " .....because I am the dyed in the wool " Realist" of the couple...and realized non of the repairs would come cheap !!!! HELP ME !!!

1) Firstly, the MH visually appears to have been well taken care of...owned by a retirement age couple.....now 2nd owner has had it for about 6 months.....

2) Concerns about what the new owner has stated:

He says, " Well, the dash A/C "only" needs a little freon in it....it is really simple ...just go get a can of freon from Wally World and you can do it yourself !!! I am thinking if it was that easy....why didn't you do it already, and not be having to tell us this story !!!

3) Told us ..."He thought" that the rear brakes and rotors needed to be fixed/replaced !!! But just on one wheel !!! Yea...is that like buying 1 sock !!!
4) I will check the codes on tires....he said the tires are "Only" 6 months or so old.....I thought ...well which 6 months out of which year are you talking about !!!
5) And from you guys experience .....other than the obvious....does anything come to mind we need to be looking out for ?

Thanks so much for any and all input .........
The a/c is simple, but you have a leak and it will discharcge again. Buy the R134- with the leak sealant it may fix the problem. With brakes, unless you know what you are doing take it to a shop. Brakes are very important!!!
Take that RV to shop and get it checked out. Have you cranked up the genny and turned on the roof a/c's? You need to take a checklist with you and go over everything. Is that unit on a Ford or Chevy chassis? Have you taken it on a test drive? Jump on I-10 and take a quick ride to Alabama and back. Look for leaks, smell for any unusual odors, keep an eye on the gauges. Then work on the price, unless you think that the price is OK.
J
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

What chassis and engine does it have? The AC and brakes needing maintenance on that age and mileage RV isn't unusual. Brakes usually need at least pads at that mileage. You will possibly need all new belts, a radiator and transmission flush, oil change and brake pads all around. I would check around all windows, sky light and roof seams for signs of leakage. Also check exterior for signs of delamination.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Wear googles

Our motorhome is a 2004 ... we bought it new ... the dash AC leaked under warranty ... I took it in for repair and they thought they had found and repaired the leak ... they did not ...

I took it back the next year ... and paid the tech $100/hr to tell me he could not fix the leak. I decided that if all he was going to do was to add refrigerant after running the test that I could do that. So, I started buying do-it-yourself recharge containers at Walmart (in states where it is legal for them to sell it to you).

I have to add refrigerant about every other year.

Make sure that you wear safety googles when working with the refrigerant.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

$ pit

Studio2bn,
The dash A/C probably needs more than just refrigerant like a fitting or a hose. With all the previous suggestions you have all kinds of info to offer less money for the coach. Take your time & make a list and give it to the seller. Buy it cheaply and fix it up There's nothing wrong with doing that. Not many perfect motor homes out there.
Have fun!
Milt
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Our motorhome is a 2004 ... we bought it new ... the dash AC leaked under warranty ... I took it in for repair and they thought they had found and repaired the leak ... they did not ...
That is unfortunate. Sorry to hear they could not figure out the leak. Slow a/c leaks can usually be located by adding dye to the a/c system. When the a/c stops working again, a black light can be used to locate the source of the leak.
Usually it's a faulty O-ring or loose connection.
You may want to consider having dye added to locate the leak so the a/c system is not damaged from moisture being introduced into the system.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ask for records on roof sealant inspection/repair/replacement ...and inspect it carefully yourself. It should be inspected/repaired at least once a year (warranty info says twice I believe), especially the roof to side seam. If you can push a finger on the roof at that point and open a crack anywhere along that seam, it needs some attention ...sometimes minor repair and sometimes total removal and replacement of the sealant.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our first purchase in 2006 was a 1990 tiffin allegro, one owner, and in pretty good condition. HOWEVER, to get this rig "road-ready" several thousands went into it. Don't regret it. But anything labeled previously owned is going to be costly as you get acquainted with the MH. Count on it.

If even brand new comes with its challenges.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
a k

You know it is illegal to add freon and not fix the leak.

I still do it.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I will speak to the air conditioning... First as AK Said they don't use Freon any more and though it is NOT, as he said, illegal to add it, you can not get it at wall mart and it is very expensive.

However they do have a replacement, (R-134a) which is more likely what you have in the system anyway, and that you can get at wall mart.

That said.... If it's leaking it will keep leaking and that means you need to have a professional find the leak and fix it. That can be expensive.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
You know it is illegal to add freon and not fix the leak.

I still do it.
Even if you are not concerned about the hassle of adding freon every season or so, the real issue is moisture gets into the a/c system and will cause internal corrosion and damage. The filter drier has desiccant inside to keep moisture out of the a/c system. When there is a slow leak, moisture builds up and causes the filter/drier to become ineffective.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
a k

Oh yes it is. I've been certified over 20 years. You can not legally add refrigerant without finding and fixing the leak. Legally. That don't mean you can't do it.And you can't blow the charge to fix the leak, You have to reclaim it.

And R134 is a refrigerant.

Law now is you have to keep tract of all refrigerant used. But you can go to Sam's and buy a drum of R134 for about $80. Don't make any sense.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

You best bet is to either have a mobile RV mechanic look at the RV or make a appointment and bring it to to a RV repair facility for further inspection. Even if this costs a couple of hundred now, it could save thousands later.

Another thing to keep in mind If you but a RV 5 or 15 years old there will be a number of maintenance items that will need to be performed.

Did you take the unit for a test drive? Have you turned all the mechanicals on?

And ... how many RV's have you looked at ?

Good luck..