Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My 2 Year Old Maxxfan Stopped Working

Went on a little two day camping trip not far from home and it was a little warm. So the first day I had the fan on in the bedroom to vent some of the warm air. Went in the next day and the fan wouldn't turn on. Tried the two switches multiple times, even pulled the screen off to see if the motor was jammed, turned freely. So when I got home I dropped the cover and checked to make sure it was getting 12 volts and that was good. Since it can only be repaired by pulling it out from the top, I have to take it back to La Mesa RV for an extended warranty repair. What really frosts me is that the earliest I can get it in is Oct 31st!
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Seeing as you have a extended warranty---You are stuck with their game.
I would order a new motor and just replace it, probably take about 30 minutes tops.

Luck
H20SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20SKE View Post
Seeing as you have a extended warranty---You are stuck with their game.
I would order a new motor and just replace it, probably take about 30 minutes tops.

Luck
I probably would, but the damn thing is only accessible from the top, so I'd have to pull off the Maxxair vent cover, fix the fan if parts are available (could be the motor, could be the controller board), reassemble then reattach and seal the vent cover. Ugh.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The maxxair covers are easy peasy to remove, no resealing of anything, they are held on by 4 bolts that go thru the vents aluminum frame above the seal. As for the fan motor, probably can by the whole assembly and just replace for a decent price.
H20SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

A lot of those fans have a little fuse that is in/on the face plate with the other controls - check that first. It should unscrew by hand ...

I do appreciate you got a 12V feed but it depends on where you measured the voltage ...
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
A lot of those fans have a little fuse that is in/on the face plate with the other controls - check that first. It should unscrew by hand ...

I do appreciate you got a 12V feed but it depends on where you measured the voltage ...
I measured the voltage right on the solder connections of the PCB. Also checked for output on the PCB to the motor and got zero volts.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I know my fan acts up every once in a while. It seems to have something to do with whatever determines the lid is open or closed. If I open the lid and the fan will not turn on, I close the lid, tap it a few times, open the lid and it will work.

Not sure this is your case, but worth a try.

**Update - Sorry, my mistake... I have a FanTastic Vent, not a MaxxFan.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I measured the voltage right on the solder connections of the PCB. Also checked for output on the PCB to the motor and got zero volts.
If there's voltage to the PCB but zero voltage at the output from the PCB to the motor, the problem isn't your motor. It has to be either the PCB itself or a switch or control that controls the PCB. I suppose your motor could be bad as well, but there's something else amiss. You can test your motor by applying voltage directly to it but make sure you get the polarity correct.

I don't know if the PCB board has an integral fuse but you should check.

I Googled "maxxair fan troubleshooting" and got a ton of hits, you might want to do this and read through some of them.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan