Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Check out this link to videos that Chuck Woodbury has put together. It is scary!

http://www.motorhomesonfire.com/

Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It is a bit of a stretch to call a motorhome a rolling bomb.

But from the quality standards being used by the industry, I am surprised that there are not more fires. You look at the mess of wires and hoses just strung under, through and over things and not adequately protected, it really make me sick to see such a poor attitude by the RV industry in general.

Ken
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wow!! Thanks for posting this...makes me think again about a quick MH movement plan when parked "rally type close"....ie jacks up...MH keys placed on steering wheel..awning stowed..
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the link....I guess.

Jack
Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So what does everyone think caused the fires in the motorhomes specifically? While the videos are disturbing, I hope everyone just got out safely. I would like to learn though what to look for, if possible, that might lead to a potential fire hazard. No fire extinguisher is going to help with these type of fires. I look at mine as something to put out a stove fire if they were ever to happen. We are out of here if the actual motorhome catches fire...nothing else matters.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
So what does everyone think caused the fires in the motorhomes specifically? While the videos are disturbing, I hope everyone just got out safely. I would like to learn though what to look for, if possible, that might lead to a potential fire hazard. No fire extinguisher is going to help with these type of fires. I look at mine as something to put out a stove fire if they were ever to happen. We are out of here if the actual motorhome catches fire...nothing else matters.

Tks.
Kyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish we could get fire investigator's report for that info..I understand MH coach manufacturers...unlike auto manufacturers are not required to track or report to Feds fire incidents in their product line..

Purely my speculations on video. My observations

1. Two apperared to be rear engine diesel/fires with toads. I understand at least one coach manufacturer has undisclosed number of rear engine fires due to faulty coolant radiator...that caused leaking coolant to catch fire..Personal conversation with Gary Swaim seems to indicate his fire investigators pointing to that type defective radiator.

http://swaimquest.com/Coach_Fire.aspx

2. Several RVs appeared to be older models with the refrigerator near the center of the coach..
Again...older model Dometic-Norcold fire prone refrigerators could have been the cause.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/22410146541
Old 07-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Read what macthefireguy.comrecommends to reduce risks of a fire in a MH. The vast majority of RV fires are MH fires, most of those fires begin in the engine compartment. It's all on the website for anyone to read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Read what macthefireguy.comrecommends to reduce risks of a fire in a MH. The vast majority of RV fires are MH fires, most of those fires begin in the engine compartment. It's all on the website for anyone to read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks ..great stuff.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Cars catch fire every day. RV fires are just more spectacular and news werthy.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When I look at the pictures and think of some of the parks I have parked in, where coaches were packed in like sardines in a can. Makes me wonder what the "H" is wrong with my thinking. Besides fuel, oil and electrical fires there is Propane which normally blows. We have them all.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
When I look at the pictures and think of some of the parks I have parked in, where coaches were packed in like sardines in a can. Makes me wonder what the "H" is wrong with my thinking. Besides fuel, oil and electrical fires there is Propane which normally blows. We have them all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the BBQ...and neighbor's BBQ..and the cigarette smoker next to you putting the butts out on the dry grass ground..seems like parks should be covered by ordinance...as to the minimum distances between parked rigs...Rally's would have a tough time with this one..also..based on Rally attendance...local firetrucks should be located on rally site..when you enter and register...a handout with emergency evac traffic flow should be part of registration..signs posted along drive ways should be posted for emergency evac flow...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am just curious. Since this is a Winnebago Forum, and the fire pictures are spectacular, how many of these fires occured in Winnebago products? I am driving under the general impression that W'go does a pretty good job of engineering their circuits, tying their harnesses, routing and mounting their gas lines and venting important cavities.

Other than that, I see maintenance and equipment cleanliness as the most important factors along with just plain vigilence.

Of course, some things just happen, like running over something in the roadway that flies up and causes damage.

Still, what an ordeal to go through.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Edw
Winnebago Watcher

When I bought my SeaBreeze I went through it pretty good and found the area around the generator packed with everything a field mouse could find to make a nice nest. The wire screen vents were packed solid. Took an air compressor and shop vac to get the area cleaned out. Generac rep confirmed that is common area above screens for rodent home. Wonder if that debris could have caused a fire if things got real hot while running generator?

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I read Mac the Fire Guy's web site and still am a little confused about fire extinguishers. What are your takes on the subject? Is it a good idea to replace the existing fire extinguisher with a foam extinguisher. And, add fire extinguishers to the kitchen, bedroom and tow vehicle. It seems reasonable to me, however, I am still questioning what type of extinguisher is best.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

My personal take on fire extinguishers is have one close to your exits to beat back flames so you can get out and then get out. I don't think they make an extinguisher that will quell a motor home fire. Get out and let the fire dept take care of what's left. It can all be replaced.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Homer,

I agree, the fire extinguisher will only help you get out. I am still seeking the best type for a RV.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have the dry powder type in my rig. I can't recommend them as I have never had to use one. My local fire dept thinks it probably the best. However there are people on this forum who have extensive experience in Fire Fighting Equipment. Maybe one will respond. I will be watching too.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carle:
I am just curious. Since this is a Winnebago Forum, and the fire pictures are spectacular, how many of these fires occured in Winnebago products? I am driving under the general impression that W'go does a pretty good job of engineering their circuits, tying their harnesses, routing and mounting their gas lines and venting important cavities.

Other than that, I see maintenance and equipment cleanliness as the most important factors along with just plain vigilence.

Of course, some things just happen, like running over something in the roadway that flies up and causes damage.

Still, what an ordeal to go through.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here sits the information gap...as I understand it..Motorhome/RV manufactures are nor required to maintain stats..or report these fire stats to federal safety agencies. I do not believe the consumer can write Winnie and request the data..dunno.

I am overall pleased with same..venting...wire ties..pipe security clamps...wire housing protectors. etc....I have seen much lower quality on other brands...

In your words "I see maintenance and equipment cleanliness as the most important factors along with just plain vigilence." I agree. These are complex machines and all the road movement takes a toll on all corners of the rig. Before a trip...and between trips...I'll be on a mechanics creeper looking at all the undercomponents for potential trouble fluid leaks...wire chaffing...electrical connection corrosion,,)...Then it's compartment by compartment...that preventive inspection can pay dividends.

And yes...hitting the unexpected road object is always a threat...but stopping early in the day..prevents that driver road fatigue and possible late vision detection of the road object..
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Ehhhh I think I'll add an extinguisher to the toad also as back up in case one doesn't work.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Ford just sent me the first notice that I have received that the recall on the cruise control has not been done, these have caused many fires in pickups, and apparently they figured they better do it on motorhomes. They are awful slow on notifying people, as this recall is several years old. It took them 2 years after the recall to notify me on my superduty truck. (this recall is on my MH)
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote