Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

Hamguy, I will. Can't always trust them guys, as you could end up with Alpo Meatloaf!
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FDchief:
Hamguy, I will. Can't always trust them guys, as you could end up with Alpo Meatloaf! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or variation of Alpo Meatloaf...a la "Flambe"
Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Mac here, as most of us fire fighters were taught and have been told by the NFPA and RVIA that we have too use dry powder or dry chemical extinguishers in our RV's. Because that's all we really know and understand.

When we have our fire truck and our fellow fire fighters and we are approaching a burning RV the first thing we do is grab either a water line or FOAM line. Now take that away from us and we go straight for the dry powder or dry chemical, you know why? Because most of the time we have never been trained to think outside the box.

When we are the RVer and the FD is not close by, we have to think outside the box. In the last 4 years we have burned many more RV's then ever before. Fire fighters check out the NFPA report on vehicle fires. Its only 10 years out of date, why because the fire departments do not report them as RV fires. They are reported as vehicle fires.

If a sprinkler system is in a building and a fire system in boats and race cars why not an RV? I have been teaching fire safety for RVer's for 11 years and these fires do not respond like a regular fire. They are very different and difficult to put out with dry fire extinguishers.

Traveling with your propane on is OK until your in an accident. Maybe you haven't read about the fridge recalls from Norcold. If your fridge is on and your traveling, and you have a fire you won't know until its too late.

Having been a FD, National Fire Academy and state trainer, I have never given a class on RV fires until I retired. Everyone I know says you need to have an ABC fire extinguisher, why? Why not just an AB foam or wetting agent fire extinguisher that really works on fiberglass, tires etc.

Why do we need a C fire extinguisher any way. There is no such thing as an electrical fire. What you say, think about it, electricity does not burn, it does how ever set things on fire around it. Remember if electricity is involved just shut it off, then you can use water if you have enough.

I know this has been very long, and some of you are going to say what in world has he been smoking. But think it through, and let be know what you think.

In my class I tell folks just to get out and run, but if you have to fight your way out, you might want to know how and have the proper extinguisher.

Come fire fighters you all know that seldom does dry powder or dry chemical really work. Lets think outside the box, what modern extinguishing agents can we use to save ourselves, our friends, and maybe even the RV.

Thanks for reading
Mac
macthefireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #64
I helped | retired moderator

Mac,

At one time I recall that foam extinguishers were not UL listed.

Is that still true?

What does that mean?

How about a CO2 extinguisher?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

The FireAde 2000's I handle now are UL and ULC. CO2 is a lot like Halon, it's of course a gas and doesn't last long enough too help us in an RV fire. The wind will just blow it away. They work better in a confind space.
Mac
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Macthefireguy, It is true that we all need to think outside the box. It is also important to point out that if you de-energize an electrical fire you end up with something else that can be extinguished with a ordinary combustible extinguisher. But, let's leave the firefighting to the dudes and dudettes on big red. Automated systems are great. But, get your loved ones out, and meet in a pre-determined place.

I am afraid to tell these people they need the new rad stuff to fight theses fires, it's only a motorhome. Because just like in the Fire Department, we are not coming up with new ways to injure or kill our firefighters, we just need to know when to back off. Nuff said.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Greg, I couldn't agree more. I always start my classes with "Just get out and run, that's why you have insurance". Then I add, "If you need to fight your way out, you should know how and have materials that you can trust". I also ask people how many know CPR? Some times as many as half the class does. Then I ask how many have really done CPR? Then it's only about a hand full. But if you don't understand how too do CPR you won't be able to help anyone. My class is not too make any one a firefighter, but help you make a plan if something happens.
Mac
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #68
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macthefireguy:
Greg, I couldn't agree more. I always start my classes with "Just get out and run, that's why you have insurance". Then I add, "If you need to fight your way out, you should know how and have materials that you can trust". I also ask people how many know CPR? Some times as many as half the class does. Then I ask how many have really done CPR? Then it's only about a hand full. But if you don't understand how too do CPR you won't be able to help anyone. My class is not too make any one a firefighter, but help you make a plan if something happens.
Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had a fire supression system I probably would not have lost my P30 chassie motorhome when it caught fire on I4 in Florida on Labor Day weekend of 06. It took almost half an hour for the fire to actually get inside the coach which was about 15 minutes after the fire engine was misdirected by the dispatcher and told to leave the highway. We saw this happen and they argued with us over the phone that they were sending the engine to the correct location while we were watching it drive off on the wrong road. It only took a minute at best with a large fan spray nozzle for them put it out once they finally turned around and got back there. All the guys on the engine crew, with Road Rangers and FHP were top notch only the dispatcher left a little to be desired.

We were long out (wife, two kids, dog and cat) and a safe distance away but had to keep running back to wave off the rubberneckers who had to stop and get out of their cars to feel the heat of the flames up close.

I am seriously considering a fire system with one head on each side of the engine bay of my current F53, and protecton for the fridge and genny.

A trip does not go by without someone asking if anyone smells smoke. The trama stays behind for quite some time.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Neil, contact me at [email protected] I think I can help you.
Mac
503 559 7623