Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I thought the maximum lifespan of an air filter was 2 years but I could be wrong.
Jerry, about a year ago this discussion came up on the forum. It was very heated but fun and educational. I contacted the air filter manufacture, the name is escaping me at the moment, and here is a synopsis of our communications: The shelf life of any of their filters is 2 years. This is because the controlled environment of A/C dries the materials out. For the air filter, Freightliner recommends 2 years but the manufacture said FL were going to change that to 3 at some point. I don't think they have yet. For the engine manufactures 2 or 3 years is their warranty safety limit as far as I know and the chassis manufactures follow that lead. For Raycor air filters (I think I spelled it correctly and I remembered) 5 years in service is not bad especially with most RVs. The millage traveled and road conditions are usually not as severe as in the commercial trucking world.

Many DP RV's are on the road for years without the air filter being changed. Many folks simply forget about it. Servicing the air dryer is another missed maintenance item. Both are critical to the safe operation of our rigs.

Thanks for reminding me of this topic through your comment.

Rick Y
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Thanks! Great information.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I will talk about cars and SUVs ... Generally I drive a vehicle until

a) the repair cost over a 3 month period is greater than three monthly payments on a newer one

b) it strands me twice (once if the weather was bad )

So if you transfer this concept to a motorhome ... you probably need to set some threshold of how much you are paying for repairs compared to the cost of a new(er) unit. Needing to be towed frequently or having my trip repeatedly interrupted would certainly be incentive for me to be shopping for something different.

We switched from a gasser to a DP when we started travelling greater distances regularly ... it is nice to have the noise from the power plant removed from the cockpit ... and the driving is much easier ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I've read somewhere on irv2 that if taken care of with regular fluid and filter changes that the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L GM and Allison transmission is good for 200,000 miles before a major tear down/rebuild is needed. At that rate my motorhome is going to outlast me!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I've read somewhere on irv2 that if taken care of with regular fluid and filter changes that the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L GM and Allison transmission is good for 200,000 miles before a major tear down/rebuild is needed. At that rate my motorhome is going to outlast me!
Probably true. It is not unusual to see motorhomes on the road from the 80's. I have seen some real slum coaches still functioning. If we keep the tires in one piece we avoid body damage. Avoid collisions of any sort, we keep the structure good. The mechanics of the rig are the key. If the generator is exercised as needed, that should last a very long time. Batteries, tires and fluids/lubing are the major longevity components. Conclusion? Yup. Will outlast me.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, tomwalt. Your advice has been very helpful. Actually, we were questioning that very same thing about the Workhorse vs the new models built with the Ford. We have had no problems with our MH since Day One, which is certainly contrary from what we continue to hear from fellow rv'ers with their brand new rigs! We just didn't have any idea about how many more miles we could expect to get, etc. We really do love our 35U floorplan & the reliability we have enjoyed so far with our Itasca.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

How many miles do you think these chassis do in trucks 300K, 400k.

I just had a quick shufty on a truck classified site and there are trucks on there with 500K+ and thats in the UK with our roads with bends and traffic jams, I'd guess US trucks do x2 that.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

ours is a 87 model still going great many upgrades but still think it could
another 20 yrs
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
How many miles do you think these chassis do in trucks 300K, 400k.

I just had a quick shufty on a truck classified site and there are trucks on there with 500K+ and thats in the UK with our roads with bends and traffic jams, I'd guess US trucks do x2 that.
When at Freightliner last year in Gaffney, SC they said that they make all of the UPS chassis to their specs. FL gives them a 20 yr life blessing! 1 million +?? So, our coaches should go the distance if we use and maintain them reasonably well. Like a car, if you don't use it from time to time it will simply rot into the ground.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Ford Not 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Keep it sealed! Keep it sealed! Keep it sealed. The number one problem with early death motorhomes is water intrusion. If you keep the roof and windows ,etc. sealed the house will last a long time. I still see motorhomes from the seventies on the road. The engine and transmission are good for 250,000 miles if kept up.We had several motorhomes owned by salesmen who traveled several states selling clothes, etc. They had racks installed in the living room area and kept the kitchen and bedroom for living in. Keep the belts and hoses changed. Most failures are caused by a belt breaking and the water pump stops or a upper or lower hose breaking. and losing all the coolant. The radiator also cools the transmission fluid, so if you lose coolant your transmission will overheat as well as your engine. Remember on a steep incline to keep the rpm's up so that the water pump will keep the water flowing through the radiator and engine. Pulling an incline in drive with low rpm's will heat the engine and transmission. four thousand rpm's is a good and safe number.
I agree with everything except the RPMs which are appropriate for a Ford Engine/Transmission but not the GM 8.1. The 8.1 torque curve is at its greatest between 2,300 and 3.200 RPM. Beyond that its more noise and smoke and less power. My experience has been for the 8.1 that running more gently and keeping the engine RPMs in the peak of the torque band is much more efficient and in my opinion easier on the engine and transmission.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
You are correct that is what GM stated in their literature.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandirector View Post
I agree with everything except the RPMs which are appropriate for a Ford Engine/Transmission but not the GM 8.1. The 8.1 torque curve is at its greatest between 2,300 and 3.200 RPM. Beyond that its more noise and smoke and less power. My experience has been for the 8.1 that running more gently and keeping the engine RPMs in the peak of the torque band is much more efficient and in my opinion easier on the engine and transmission.
Actually the two valve V10 max torque is 2650 rpm. If you pull mont eagle at 2650 rpm, I can guarantee the temps will go up. I stick by my statement. Keep the rpm's up to keep the engine cool. the V10 starts cutting out at max rpm which is about 5200 rpm, I am not advocating going to max rpm, just moderate rpm for the hill. Every factory rep. (ford, Chevy, freightliner, etc.)that I ever talked to, advised keeping the rpm's up on hill climbs.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I shure as heck hope they last longer than 80,000 miles. The ones Im shopping for in my price range are all late 90s early 2000s with anywhere from 70,000 to over a 100,000 miles. We will be making some long trips.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

I just had a look at MB service intervals they are talking intervals of up to 75000 miles!
Modern diesels and to a lesser extend petrols are only really getting run in at 100,000 miles these days.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

In my experience, the older, high mileage rigs can't be covered with affordable extended warranty type insurances. Please, if someone knows better let me know. With that said. Buying a older rig that is in good shape should not be a problem if you have the $ to cover some major repair like the transmission or a new radiator core, hydroponics failure, refrigerator, etc. This is when things get pricy.

Tags
motorhome