Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Motor coach manufacturers.

Hi everyone. I need some feed back. I own a 2002 Adventurer 35U. I am thinking about up grading to a DP 38-40 feet with 2 or more slide outs and 330 to 350 HP. I want a pre emissions model before they started adding on all that junk. I believe 2006 or older is that right? Question is, Monaco and Beaver are beautiful coaches do you think they are a little bit better in quality than say a Horizon, Journey, Vectra etc, etc. I live in Iowa about 2 hr. drive to Forest City. I like my Winnebago Adventurer but Dam those Monaco and Beavers look good. You can leave feed back on Newmars also. I do want a coach with 1 pc. fiberglass roof. Looking forward to every ones comments and suggestions. Thanks RickeyD
RickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Wow - get ready for the barrage of answers.

Yes, in general the more expensive the coach when it was first new, it has the better "quality". "Quality" is different to each owner.

Pre-Emmisions engines come in two flavors - pre-DPF, EGR, SCR (2007 EPA standard) and , pre-DEF (2010??).

There were lots of engines built pre 2007 and built into late 2007, 2008 and some early 2009 coaches. You'll have to look at each one individually for those years.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Brian you may be right. I may have opened up a can of worms.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
want a pre emissions model before they started adding on all that junk. I believe 2006 or older is that right? Question is, Monaco and Beaver are beautiful coaches do you think they are a little bit better in quality than say a Horizon, Journey, Vectra etc, etc. Thanks RickeyD
First, there is nothing wrong with the post emission engines. They run just as well (if not better) than the pre-emission engines. Ever see black smoke pouring out of a diesel's exhaust? Won't see that with the post emission engines. I had an 08 Safari with the Cat C7 330hp ACERT engine. Ran just fine and got 8.6 mpg averaged out over 35,000 miles. I now have a Cummins ISL9 DEF engine and it also runs just fine. I can actually run my finger around the inside of my exhaust pipe and my finger will be perfectly clean.

As for Monaco/Beaver. Yep, those were great coaches of high quality...still see many of them on the road today. Also, Monaco built Holiday Rambler and Safari and both of those were quality coaches. and yes, I would choose any of those four over any of the Winnabagos....well, except maybe for the Tour.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Hi everyone. I need some feed back. I own a 2002 Adventurer 35U. I am thinking about up grading to a DP 38-40 feet with 2 or more slide outs and 330 to 350 HP. I want a pre emissions model before they started adding on all that junk. I believe 2006 or older is that right? Question is, Monaco and Beaver are beautiful coaches do you think they are a little bit better in quality than say a Horizon, Journey, Vectra etc, etc. I live in Iowa about 2 hr. drive to Forest City. I like my Winnebago Adventurer but Dam those Monaco and Beavers look good. You can leave feed back on Newmars also. I do want a coach with 1 pc. fiberglass roof. Looking forward to every ones comments and suggestions. Thanks RickeyD

Pre emissions for diesels covers lots of ground.
1. Engines built before mid 2002 are pretty much emissions hardware free.
2. Engines built to meet '04 requirements started in production before the end of '02 and the major system introduced was the EGR. However, the Cummins ISL escaped the EGR until '07.
3. Engines built in and after '07 have the DPF exhaust system. This also requires only ULSD fuel. That's all that's available in the U.S. now anyway.
4. Engines built in and after '10 require a major reduction in NOX which generally is met by the DEF system. This requires DEF be maintained and added to an on board tank as required.

Pick a coach based on age and likely that will dictate the level of emissions equipment.

The Monaco built coaches were and are well equipped and well built. The current quality of any coach built prior to '07 will depend much more on the care it has received than who built it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for their input very helpful. I think I will try to stay with a 06 or earlier model. My son-in-law is a Cat tech in Colorado, rebuilds med to heavy duty Cat engines and also works in the dyno room. He told me that the more emissions that are installed on a diesel the more it cost to repair, his words very, very expensive. He lives in a county in Colorado that don't have as tough emission standards as lets say Jefferson, County. He owns a 2008 Dodge pickup and removed all the emission pcs. that came out new on the 08 models (Cummings) He has all the parts to put back when he sells it. He reprogramed the computer. Results- 2 mpg gain in mileage runs much better and torque increased a little. He seems to think that, yes your exhaust emissions output will be much cleaner but the internals inside the motor are paying a high price. Bottom line is motor will not last as long and expenses will increase. Thanks RickeyD.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Having had two Newmars and now a CC I can attest to the quality of them too. Cummins ISX, not so much!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

As far as the coaches you mentioned, the Beaver is beautifully equipped however the company is out of business and each one was more of a one off and the parts can be hard to come by if you have issues.
Also the older DP's were not setup to run the newer 15ppb Low sulfur diesel. thus you may run into some issue there I the long run.
Just my .0001 cents worth.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our ISX has the DPF on it and I'd FAR rather have a newer one with DEF though they don't make the 650 HP engine anymore either. And from the number of failures I find I can see why.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote