Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Model year differences for purchase?

For our first coach, we're looking for a 2006 to 2009 Vectra or Tour with the TV down floorplan. Are there any significant differences between those model years mechanically or featurewise that might make us favor one model year over the other?

Thanks!
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A big difference is that the Vectra has independant suspension up front and also has the side radiator. Those are significant in my book.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

differences?

That is good to know. What I was looking for are any significance changes in the different model years 2006, 2007, 2008 since they seem to fit our price point. For example, if there were two coaches on the lot with similar miles, one was a 2006 the other a '07 or '08, would the price difference be worth it to go for the later years versus the earlier.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought, one can live fulltime in one with very little miles or use one for destination use with high miles and little use on the living side. We almost backed out of the deal on ours because of not enough mileage!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You are looking at diesel pushers ... mileage has very little to do with diesel engines ... ours now has just over 106,000 miles ... it is just getting "broken in" ...

So unless you are looking at two coaches that have a difference of over 50,000 miles on the engine I personally would ignore the difference in miles ... I would pay more attention to signs of water intrusion, difference in floor plan, age of tires, maintenance records, etc.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you take a look at the brochures for the various coaches here you can compare the features, etc.: Previous Model Year Product Information

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Newer is probably better, but floor plan and condition are in my skewed opinion far more important. My 2005 Horizon 40 AD has a great living & kitchen area but the bedroom is cramped.

In the past Cat engines were common but had trouble with the rear radiator and slobber tube fouling. Present engines are Cummins. Nothing wrong with either.

Try and figure what will be your uses and find one that fills your needs.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Not all Vectra's have the side radiator. I would probably go for the later models with digital TV's, etc, and pass-through storage. Like was said before, check the brochures for storage capacity, tank capacities, and whatever is important to you.
I don't know about the earlier Vectra's but the later had 60° wheel cut. The Tour and Vectra 40TD oddly had different floor plans.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Condition is key

With real estate the axiom is location, location, location. With used cars I would consider mileage as the indicator of service life remaining, but not always. In looking for a used coach I found that mileage is not nearly as important as condition and care. The 2004 Winnebago Journey 36G that I purchased last year was loved and cared for by two wonderful people. There were no major defects and the coach had the original tires and batteries. I have changed both but considered that having the original tires and batteries was a great indicator of care for this vehicle which had 47K miles on the odometer.
In selecting the 36G I looked at loads of RVs until I found the Floor Plan (FP) that I felt provided the best utility for our life style and the type use we planned for the coach. I looked for years on line at hundreds of MH makes and models. I went to RV shows and made notes on what did or did not seem to work.
Once I made the decision on what FP and model years I wanted I started to search the net for this specific model. Got a great deal on a very nice coach, but had to fly from California to Michigan to check it out before the purchase. Best of luck!
Jim
04Journey36G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all! The brochure Cb linked was what I was looking for. Thanks senior member! Looked at a used Vectra & Tour at NorthTrail in Ft. Myers. Both too smelly. Can you imagine fouling beautiful & $$$ coaches like that?!

Have no idea if urine and other odors ever leave....

Tags
purchase