Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Metal Shavings on the floor -ugh!

On the return trip from FL this past March, I hit a fairly good-sized pot hole – it was quite a jar. Sometime after that, I noticed the steering wheel crossbar was out of alignment and that when crossing a sharp bump in the road (think bridge edge) I heard a new “clunk.”

I had the front end checked and aligned, but the shop couldn’t find any loose or broken components. There is also no noticeable feeling in the steering wheel when this happens. The noise continues, has become more frequent, and occasionally now I’m hearing a small squeal like a belt pulley would make when going bad. The noise sounds like it’s right under the driver’s seat. I emptied the left front compartment to rule out anything clunking in there and it still did it.

Now for the new development! Yesterday after returning from a four day 350 mile trip, I noticed what I believe to be a very small pile of aluminum shavings. They were located on a small piece of indoor outdoor carpet right behind the driver’s seat, immediately under the corner of the large slide. Now I’m fearing the clunk/squeal is something loose/broken in the slide somewhere. I checked as thoroughly as I could with a light and mirror from both inside and outside (slide out) and could see nothing out of the ordinary.

I was all set to get a second opinion on the front end components, but am now thinking I should be headed to the RV service center.

Any experiences with something like this or thoughts on the subject? Thanks
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had noticed the little specks of aluminum shavings in the exact same place on ours. After running out the slide there they are right behind the driver’s seat. Just a very small amount, enough to make you worry. I’ve looked over every visible inch of that mechanism and can’t for the life of me figure out where they are coming from. No markings on the rack, gears, no unusual noises, no rubbing, it’s a mystery. They had stopped appearing for a while then I noticed a very small few the last time I run it out. I had wondered if they were manufacturing residue laying somewhere, but can’t figure out where that would come from either.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry you are having this issue.

I think since you have checked things pretty thoroughly that you may need to take it in to see if they can figure it out. If you keep using it it might make a bigger issue. No idea what it is though.

Best of luck with it, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have the same issue and have had this issue for months. Brought the issue up with my dealership, and they indicated a small amount of shavings is normal. They checked the slide rails and did not notice any abnormal wear.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Same Issue

I too, had the same issue with my 2016 27n. Never could find the source and my slides still work just fine.

It is annoying, because you know in the back of your mind that they came from somewhere!!!
I would say to not worry about it.

Good luck
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote