Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

The next time you guys are in your coaches look down into the floor registers.

Remember there is a draft of warm air wafting up past that pile of crud in the bottom of the register duct.

Today I removed the 2 screws popped the registers off the floor and vacuumed out the spaces and soaked them in Lysol spray.

If you're looking for something to do .... yada-yada.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

The next time you guys are in your coaches look down into the floor registers.

Remember there is a draft of warm air wafting up past that pile of crud in the bottom of the register duct.

Today I removed the 2 screws popped the registers off the floor and vacuumed out the spaces and soaked them in Lysol spray.

If you're looking for something to do .... yada-yada.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

driver, if next time you have the covers off, you lay a sheet of screen wire over the duct, replace the cover, then razor trim the screen to the shape of the cover, your vacuum (machine) will keep that stuff out of your life...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

DriVer, I do that about every six months, and it's not that tough to keep them clean.

W22 Chassis and 8.1 Vortec
RVAITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

I am afraid if I put screen in there that I'll cause back pressure in the heat ducts and most of the heat simply won't flow into the cabin.

6 months seems to be a pretty good interval to do this job. The last Yuck job I did was to pull all the ceiling registers, wash, dry and replace the registers. I have 12 ceiling registers, each w/ 4 screws. I can't believe how cruddy they get.

Next cruddiest thing is the fantastic vent fan blades and screen.

I also changed my A/C inlet filter today it's a 20x14 unit and the last time I changed it was on September 1st. The filter was so laden with dust that it was bowed and looked like half a football almost. Remember to check and vacuum the mesh screens that are located in the back wall or on the sides of the bed frame.

I think that you have to remind yourself to keep up on these filters and change them every 90 days. If you're full timin' or using your rig a lot you may be changing that filter 3 or 4 times a year.

The quality of the air that you breathe in your motorhome is all up to you....

It's T minus 30 minutes until the New Year. Ya'll have a good one!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

DriVer, Happy New Year. I did a crappier job about 5 weeks ago. Had a leak in black tank valve - took it off and pulled out a piece of plastic. Works well now.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
Works well now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's great! I had a valve that failed and the T handle came off in my hand. The tank was full at the time.

We were staying at Moose Hillock Campground in Maine, and that back in 1994. I bought a replacement valve assembly and a spare right after that incident so far I still have the spare in stock. It's a Valettera (sp) still in the blister pack.

That was 3 rigs ago.

Moral of the story ... Thank God these things don't break every day of the week.

Don, We'll be in FL for the next 5 weeks.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Driver, I dont have any way to quantify the flow, but during 2 years of use, if there is any significant loss, it isn't apparant.. It saves wearing out the "screw holes" too, The design of the grills doesnt seem to indicate that they are maximized for flow anyway...rgr...
Old 01-01-2006, 04:22 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

It's a great Idea!
I was told about that trick 2 years ago and used the screen method on my coach. It does work great, especially when you have a pet.
I haven't had any problems with "Air Flow" at all.
Remember it all depends on the "WHO" suggested it especially on the Winnebago/Workhorse forums if it makes sense or not!
Have a Great and Happy New Year
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:54 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
I was told about that trick 2 years ago and used the screen method on my coach. It does work great, especially when you have a pet.
I haven't had any problems with "Air Flow" at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know that iRV2.com folks that suggest solutions for common problems are usually "never" wrong.

Now in support of the pet theory, yes I did vacuum up lots of Iams Puppy Chow pellets and so much dog hair ya'd think my doggie is going bald!

So I will be a lookin' for some slightly over-sized screening material in my travels. That'll satisfy my perception for air flow. (No I'm not looking for chicken wire either )

Now have you guys ever seen of this? Who has a floor mounted woofer? Well mine is right by the entry door and it gets loaded with sand and other garbage. This thing is a poster child for a screen or an acoustically transparent fabric cover.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just cleaned mine out a couple of days ago!!

The brass color on the grills had discolored so I repainted them with a hammered bronze paint. They look pretty fine now.

Happy New Year from Bouse AZ.

(We had a pretty noisy party last night - four couples got together)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

DriVer, don't forget the AC fltr in the aft closet behind the mirrored sliding doors. When I found it, there was a foot of crud on it! Now both are replaced regularly using the cheapest blue-colored filters (better air flow).

Home Depot, Loews & Ace carry floor duct register filters in a pkg of 10 or 12. Thin stuff so as not to restrict flow too much. Easily trimmed w/scissors. I put them under the floor registers that have a propensity to have stuff fall in them (galley, dining area, bathroom). Doesn't seem to bother the LP heat system. Anyway I don't think there is enough flow to cause a back pressure!!!

I bought some new registers (Winnie) to replace the badly stained ones. Applied about 4 coats of clear spray before installing. No stains so far.

HNY Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I no longer have my vents screwed down so I can clean them out everytime I vacuumn. They stay put with no problem. I also use the vent filters and they help alot.

Each time I vacuumn we clean all the filters and the Fantastic Fan screen however the blades do get yucky so that's a twice a year job as is replacing all the water filters.

Sometimes I wish there was Merry Maids just for RVs.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Savannah, a rep from Fantastic Vent suggested I treat the fan and screens with 303 to keep junk from accumulating. He even sent me some free. Havent tried it yet, but I will...rgr...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

In checking the floor registers in my 05 Adventurer I do not see any screws to remove. Is it safe to pry them up for cleaning or am I missing something?

A banjo will get you through a time of no money much better than money will get you through a time of no banjo.
Banjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Banjar,
my 2005 Suncruiser has 2 that screw down and the others are held in place with double face tape. To me this does reference cheap versus removable) Tape has already let go in the bedroom vent. But once you get them up and remove the tape you can screw them back down in place.
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote