Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We took delivery of our coach in May so only had opportunity to use the AC up to now. That worked beautifully all summer even in 100 degree/100% humidity New Orleans summer weather.

But this weekend was our first one with some chily weather. It was in the forties most of the weekend with a dip down to 33 this morning. The heat pumps kept us snug all weekend. I only had the gas furnace to light once when I rapidly raised the temp one morning. The basement air with heatpumps is really a good design in the Winnebago/Itasca rigs.

Walt
Old 01-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We took delivery of our coach in May so only had opportunity to use the AC up to now. That worked beautifully all summer even in 100 degree/100% humidity New Orleans summer weather.

But this weekend was our first one with some chily weather. It was in the forties most of the weekend with a dip down to 33 this morning. The heat pumps kept us snug all weekend. I only had the gas furnace to light once when I rapidly raised the temp one morning. The basement air with heatpumps is really a good design in the Winnebago/Itasca rigs.

Walt
Old 01-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree but unfortunately I'm finding it much louder than I anticipated - guess noise during the day just doesn't have the same impact. Last night it was very cold in Florida as it will be tonight (is already) - like under 40. When we got in this evening the temp in the MH was 63 and the heatpump took it up to 72 in no time at all. Great.

Last night was the first night we had to set it and leave it. I just did not expect so much noise and my wife and I were awake much of the night. Tonight we are going to try two ceramic heaters so we can compare (our youngest son sleeps in the lounge are so we need two ceramic heaters going).
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We were worried about the noise too at first, but now we look forward to the steady purrr of the AC to mask other noises. Mentally we like it.
I would buy the same system again in a heartbeat. Much better than the roof units we had on the fifth wheels.
With our unit, we can actually watch TV in the lounge while the unit is running. With the roof unit, the noise was so loud that we could barely hear the TV.
Walt
Old 01-18-2005, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've had the true air for two months and live almost full time it my coach, And at first the noise from it bothered me and I went and got ceramic heaters, but after a few more nights found that did not notice the noise as much so unless it dips below 45 I only use the heat pump and when drops I use one ceramic up front to assist and it the combo works great!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We did use two ceramic heaters last night. What amazed me was that the temperature went up in the coach even though it was 40 throughout the night and 40 this morning. The temp on the panel said 74.

Much quieter than the HP as well. My wife wants us to use them as long as we can. They certainly can't heat up the coach as quickly as the HP does though.

I have heard advocates of the dual rooftop HPs claim that an advantage is that one can turn on the unit in the front and heat the entire unit when it is not too cold. I think I'd still rather have the single large unit in the basement though. Perhaps the noise from these units varies.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

These Lakewood oil filled, low profile heaters make no noise (no fan). They put out 5100 BTU's same as the ceramic heaters and don't tip over easily. They don't crackle like cheap electric baseboard heaters. 2 of these will heat a large MH with slide outs down to 30 degrees. 3 will heat you easy down to 15 degrees. (Figure 100 watts per degree and double it if it's real windy)

http://www.lakewoodeng.com/html/list_oilfilled.html

The oil filled heaters weigh about 15 lbs each. Fire them up outside for an hour to dissipate that new paint smell. They're available at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards. Pelonis also makes oil filled heaters.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote