Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Arv
Winnebago Camper

Lounge TV removal

What is the best way to remove the lounge tv from a 2006 vectra 40FD? I Would like to replace it with a flat panel HD set.

2006 Vectra 40FD
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have an 07 Ellipse 40FD and think we probably have the same set up. I replaced mine with a 37" HP set and love it.

As I recall, I had to remove the fireplace to expose two large bolts which secured a metal strap that ran all the way over the top of the TV. You probably have a 27" Sony CRT set in there so get some help removing it... unless you're a lot stronger and younger than I am

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Arv
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the response. What type of HD set did you replace it with?

2006 Vectra 40FD
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Actually I replaced it with a Hewlett Packard set but don't bother looking for them I don't think they market TVs anymore. I retired from them after 33 years and got a deal on it. It's worked fine so far. In the bedroom of our coach I replaced the 20" flat panel with a 32" Sony Bravia and ran a 50' HDMI cable to it from the DirecTv HD DVR up front. Works great. I've always been a big Sony fan.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
37"? Humm. I had someone help me remove mine and have a smaller one temporarily working in it. I think I can get a 32" to install within the confines, without having to alter the woodwork. Is your 37" somewhat on the "outside"? Did you cutback any woodwork?
On a side note: Wanted to replace the outside TV down in the basement. Haven't done that, but same person did help me remove it. Once the radio, etc. have been removed, the big wood panel will slide to the left (toward rear of coach) to get to everything else.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep, it does fit on the "outside" of the fireplace cabinet but I fashioned a vertical mount in just such a way as to let the TV press up against foam padding strips I added to either side. I'll post a picture for you in the next day or so. Some probably won't like the appearence because it does sit on the outside but I wanted to be the largest screen possible and it fits us well. I don't think I had to cut away any woodwork but did remove a top trim strip to allow the tv to raise high enough for the "hooks" on the mount to engage. Then I reattached the strip.

I should also mention that my fireplace had gone bad so I replaced it and built out the new one about 2" to both help with the appearence... since the new tv sits out farther than the original... and to ensure that heat from it would not radiate directly into the tv.

I too have removed and reinstalled my outside tv. It has bitten the dust and my initial measurements lead me to believe I can get a 26" in there using the stock swing out mount so long as I fashion an adapter plate. But, that's for another day.

I'll try to get that picture posted tonight if I can.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Arv
Winnebago Camper

Ricko,
Did you post the picture of your TV installation? Would be interested to see how you did it.

2006 Vectra 40FD
Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have an 06 40FD and successfully replaced it with a Samsung 37" unit. The TV comes out pretty easy and I agree, the fireplace hides a couple of bolts underneath. You have to also take the support pieces out under the trim at the top of the TV. I used the Samsung LN37B550 but there probably is a newer model now. No cutting of the opening was necessary and I have about 1/4" reveal on all sides, like it was meant to be. Sorry, don't have pictures, but I may take them when I take it apart and install a motorized mount.

I am playing with the idea of having my cabinet guy make a whole new cabinet made for the TV and lightening the weight on the slide and making the whole room open up a bit more. You would not believe how much wasted room is behind the TV and fireplace.

I converted everything to HDMI (got rid of the input/output selector), ran another cable out to the bin below off an HDMI splitter so I can run a tv outside when I want to, and converted the Direct TV remote to RF so I can flip through the channels from outside the rig. I also replaced my satellite gome with the Wineguard SK-3005 5 LNB dish to get full HDTV for all the TV's and ran another feed from it directly to the bedroom TV, replaced that one with a 23" Samsung HDTV and am currently having some cabinet work done to make that one look like normal since the old one was a 20" Sharp that doesn't work for much of anything.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sorry for the delay. I took these pictures the other day and then couldn't find my way back to this thread! Senior moment.

As I mentioned, I didn't take photos during construction but here's what the finished products look like for the 37" in the salon and the 32" in the bedroom. I have run HDMI from the front tv to the rear and will run it to the outside tv once I get around to replacing that one.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
gad
Winnebago Watcher

Just replaced the 27" tube unit with a new Westinghouse 32" LED set. The new set is 1 1/2" think and weighs 14 lbs., that's a load out of the overhead. The original set must weigh 80 lbs. The 32" LED is oring for about $349.00 at Costco. The mount was easy using a The OmniMount Flat Panel Mount: 13-42" or 80 lbs very simple mount and only required a simple flat board 1"x12" mounted in the cabinet.
gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Arv
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
I have an 06 40FD and successfully replaced it with a Samsung 37" unit. The TV comes out pretty easy and I agree, the fireplace hides a couple of bolts underneath. You have to also take the support pieces out under the trim at the top of the TV. I used the Samsung LN37B550 but there probably is a newer model now. No cutting of the opening was necessary and I have about 1/4" reveal on all sides, like it was meant to be. Sorry, don't have pictures, but I may take them when I take it apart and install a motorized mount.

I am playing with the idea of having my cabinet guy make a whole new cabinet made for the TV and lightening the weight on the slide and making the whole room open up a bit more. You would not believe how much wasted room is behind the TV and fireplace.

I converted everything to HDMI (got rid of the input/output selector), ran another cable out to the bin below off an HDMI splitter so I can run a tv outside when I want to, and converted the Direct TV remote to RF so I can flip through the channels from outside the rig. I also replaced my satellite gome with the Wineguard SK-3005 5 LNB dish to get full HDTV for all the TV's and ran another feed from it directly to the bedroom TV, replaced that one with a 23" Samsung HDTV and am currently having some cabinet work done to make that one look like normal since the old one was a 20" Sharp that doesn't work for much of anything.
Big Trace

Are the two bolts exposed below the tv the only bolts to be removed in order to remove the tv? What kind of mount did you use for the new 37" TV?

2006 Vectra 40FD
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Rick, where are the pics? Did u lose them or is it my eye sight????

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
Rick, where are the pics? Did u lose them or is it my eye sight????

Phelpo
Ok, sorry again but turns out Forest City has about the worst Verizon internet I've found almost anywhere and kept timing out when I tried to upload. Let's try it again:'
Attached Images

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago flat panel mount

My Winnebago came with a flat panel TV in the cabinet. I had to unbolt and slide the TV out to attach a second HDMI cable for the satellite so I saw the Winnebago TV mount.

The mount is simple sheetmetal and attaches to the cabinet probably using bolts in the same location as the CRT TV. The bracket is attached to the flat panel TV using the Vesa mount holes that seem to be on all flat panel TVs.

Using this bracket with the downward facing bolts like the CRT TV may simplify the process. If I did this right the Winnebago flat panel mount drawing is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tv bracket.PDF (130.9 KB, 86 views)
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote