Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Loud Ratcheting Buzzer at ignition on

I have a 2010 38' Winnebago Adventurer (gas), on a 24,000 # Ford Chassis, that has started making a loud ratcheting sound in the dash when the key is turned to the on position, and stays on until the engine has started. If left with key on, not started it will buzz forever. It's loud enough I can't hear if the engine has started. I have it in a Winnesbago authorized repair facility for a laundry list of warantee repairs, it only has 1,300 miles, they've had it for nine weeks!

The service rep is telling me it's a normal thing, then again their not sure, thinking it's something to do with the transmission Park something or druther, they're not specific. I asked how I'm supposed to know the engine has started, he says look at the tach! I'm not buying it. If I hadn't paid cash for it I'd give it back to Winnebago, my list has many QC problems, electrical, water leaks, squeeks, bubbled paint, terrible wind noise at the driver's head level, on and on.

The nearest actual Winnebago dealership is several hundred miles away.

Does this make sense to anyone here? Thanks, Larry
larrymul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Larry, does it sound like maybe a small hydraulic pump motor?

The Hydro Boost brake system on these ford chassis M/H's have a small boost pump, that runs when the key is on, or if you press the brake pedal with the Key off.
Step on the brake with the key off and see if the same noise happens. If so, then it is just the backup pressure pump for the Hydro Boost, nothing to worry about, normal operation.
Kerry
Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

that noise is normal. It is so you have brakes if the engine isn't running. As for starting, you have "one touch". Just turn the key to start and the engine will crank until it starts.

What kind of electrical problems? Where have you found water leaks? Just asking because I have a 2010, and am interested. I have not found any of those problems yet. Squeaks, yes, but that is a lot of vehicle moving down the road.

Good luck....
Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The noise is normal, but if you don't press on the brake pedal while cranking there is less noise.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Taboky, the leaks flooded the kitchen area of the coach several times, ended up being a valve for the ice maker. My concern, not knowing how long it's been leaking, is mold and damage, delamination, etc., of the floor in the entire slide, it's full length.

The electrical system has several issues, the generator will self start while driving, I DO NOT have the AST system. The basement AC unit will not work of the coach generator. The bathroom lights do not work, both bathrooms.

The reclining loungers were missing brackets on the slide mechanisms. The window valances fell off, the bed headboard was warped, fell off and jammed between the slide out wall and bed when retracting the bed.

the bottoms fell out of the drawers in the pantry, with no heavy items, they will not stay close while traveling either. The fridge door mechanism sometimes trips in the latched position so the door will not close and seal.

The air whistling at the drivers side was fixed with a hand grinder, they ground the door frame, leaving it with no paint or coating.

The trim going from the lower beltline to the room blew off, flapping in the wind, the passenger side slide out tray will not stay in, I'm told oh well, we've done all we can, live with it. That pleases my traveling companion! The paint is bubbled along the beltline, Winnebago supposedly won't address it. On and on.

I"m not sure what "one touch" starting is. The ratcheting never stops until the motor is started, this is a gas unit, not air brakes or anything. When I get the coach back I'll try the tests with the brake. It's been nine weeks and they don't return my calls. I went there a few weeks ago, (it's a substantial driving distance), they promised some answers the following week...nothing. According to them, Winnebago won't step up to the plate and authorize some of the repairs. I have less than 2,000 miles on it.

There goes my BP, ha! Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have found Winnebago to be generous with their warranty repairs. I have also found some totally incompetent dealers! My motorhome was at the selling dealer for about 6 weeks also until I went there and got it because there was going to be a cold spell and the rig was not winterized and we had canned goods and sodas in the RV that would freeze. I finally ended up taking it to the factory in Forest City. I plan on going there about once a year. They know how to fix everything, do it in a timely manner and have all the parts handy. Most dealers are worthless!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Larry, sorry to hear of the problems. I have not heard of that many problems right at the start, especially a Winni. As mentioned, if not satisfied when you get it back, try another dealer. Some have even made it a vacation to Forrest City for the factory repairs.

As far as one touch starting, all you need to do is turn the key to the start position and release immediately. The engine will crank until started by itself.

Hope things work out for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you investigated the "Lemon Laws" in your state. In California they are pretty liberal, along with a lot of other things. A man I know also sued in small claims court and won a settlement for the monthly payments while the rig was in the shop.. If you do go Lemon Law make sure your attorney is familiar with them. Good luck.

Don Wit 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

HI Larry: I agree with the others, it sounds like you are having problems that should have been fixed long ago. I am on my 6th motorhome, second Winnebago and feel they build a good coach. From my experience most dealers work by the 50/50 rule---half the time they get it right and half the time they don't have a clue. Call Winnebago! Don't give up--I bet they take care of you. Good Luck! John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote