Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday I was doing some work on my hood to make it fit a little better and close the gap between it and the rubber gasket at the top. While I had it off, I was looking around a bit and noticed a piece of tubing that was loose. This tubing goes from one side of the hood opening to the other and is above the grill and just under the lip in the fibreglass that forms the bottom of the hood opening. Turns out this piece of alum. tubing (approx. 1" X 2") is only held on by two sided tape and about 1/2 of it had let go. If it had fallen off going down the road I'm sure there might have been some damage done.
I haven't been able to figure out what exactly this tubing adds to the support of the fibreglass especially being installed with tape. Giving a good tug on the fibreglass opening after I removed the tube doesn't seem to cause any excessive flex or anything. For now I'm leaving it off and when I get some more of that heavy duty 3M epoxy (same stuff that holds the hood cover to the alum. structure) I'll replace it.
You folks with a similar model to mine may want to have a look and see that your's isn't loose too.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday I was doing some work on my hood to make it fit a little better and close the gap between it and the rubber gasket at the top. While I had it off, I was looking around a bit and noticed a piece of tubing that was loose. This tubing goes from one side of the hood opening to the other and is above the grill and just under the lip in the fibreglass that forms the bottom of the hood opening. Turns out this piece of alum. tubing (approx. 1" X 2") is only held on by two sided tape and about 1/2 of it had let go. If it had fallen off going down the road I'm sure there might have been some damage done.
I haven't been able to figure out what exactly this tubing adds to the support of the fibreglass especially being installed with tape. Giving a good tug on the fibreglass opening after I removed the tube doesn't seem to cause any excessive flex or anything. For now I'm leaving it off and when I get some more of that heavy duty 3M epoxy (same stuff that holds the hood cover to the alum. structure) I'll replace it.
You folks with a similar model to mine may want to have a look and see that your's isn't loose too.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That tube is most likley on it to try and stop any hormonic vibrations from cracking the fiberglass while driving. I would suspect it is like a dampener.
I would replace it as soon as possible if it were mine.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougmyers:
That tube is most likley on it to try and stop any hormonic vibrations from cracking the fiberglass while driving. I would suspect it is like a dampener.
I would replace it as soon as possible if it were mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're probably right. I don't think two sided tape was the best choice though.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougmyers:
I would replace it as soon as possible if it were mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're probably right. I don't think two sided tape was the best choice though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
===========================================

You are probley correct but to drill holes and screw it on may cause more cracks at the holes and the tape is easyer to replace then fixing cracks. I would just figure on replacing the tape every year or two from now on.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You are probley correct but to drill holes and screw it on may cause more cracks at the holes and the tape is easyer to replace then fixing cracks. I would just figure on replacing the tape every year or two from now on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't drill holes either but there's a much better solution than 2 sided tape. The 3M epoxy is as strong as steel. Once repaired it will be fixed for ever. They're even using it to install some body panels on new cars, right in the factory.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hey Gary N., can you post a pic showing just where yourloose square tube was located?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
Hey Gary N., can you post a pic showing just where yourloose square tube was located? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to, but I can't see how to do it. Can someone explain how to post a pic keeping in mind that your talking to a computer dummy.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

tubing location

Hope this works
Old 04-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

All right Gary!!! Good pic! Thank you!