Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking for good source of info

I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B and I want to do most of the basic maintenance myself. Where can I find a list of things like:

1) Oil filters and capacity
2) Fuel Filters
3) Air Filters
4) List of items I should cover on a routine service

Also, I need to find the location of these items on the vehicle. If there is a service manual for this I would love to find it....

Thanks
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B and I want to do most of the basic maintenance myself. Where can I find a list of things like:

2) Fuel Filters
3) Air Filters

Also, I need to find the location of these items on the vehicle. If there is a service manual for this I would love to find it....

Thanks
Do you have a Ford or Workhorse chassis?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Workhorse... Should have included that little tidbit
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a wonderful Suncruiser 37B for 6 years. All that stuff is pretty easy. The air filter is right behind the "hood"; the oil filter is reached under the engine ( 6 qt.); the fuel filter is in line from the tank to the engine (never saw it myself). The manual has all the maintenance schedules. If you don't have it, Winnebago should have it on-line.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2005 Suncruiser 38R. W24 chassis, 25500 miles

1) Oil filters and capacity - 6.5qt w/short std filter. I use a NAPA Gold 1080 1 qt filter so I can add 7 qts Castrol GTX 5w30 oil. I change ~3000mi or 1 year. I may go closer to 4000mi if on the road. Some use a 2 qt filter and that'll take 8 qt of oil. I've never had to add oil between changes.

2) Fuel Filters - never changed mine, have 25500 mi on my 38R and I bought it new. Note: when I gas up I always fill up completely. This keeps the coach from sitting with 3/4 tank of humid air.

3) Air Filters - never changed it, when I pull it it is clean, I pull mine from in front of the front passenger tire reaching up in front of the tire. The housing is held on with clips.

4) List of items I should cover on a routine service - Make certain that you have the chassis lube at least yearly. I use a truck garage and they know the suspension. I used to give the mechanic a printout showing all the lube points. This diagram is in the Workhorse Chassis Maintenance Manual that you can download. You can take a little weight off the front end, with your jacks, when you lube the king pins.

PA has an annual inspection program. I get my maintenance done at that time. They check lights, brakes, hubs, seals, leaks, etc.

Check batteries often until you get a feel for how much water they lose. I only check my 6v's twice a year.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We had a wonderful Suncruiser 37B for 6 years. All that stuff is pretty easy. The air filter is right behind the "hood"; the oil filter is reached under the engine ( 6 qt.);
I won't want to purchase a used motorhome that was run a 1/2 qt low on oil for 6 years!

-Tom
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post

I won't want to purchase a used motorhome that was run a 1/2 qt low on oil for 6 years!

-Tom
A 1/2 quart low is no big deal. It will not affect pressure or lubrication quality. The only down effect is that the oil would need chaging soon as it would have more contaminants by volume over a properly filled engine.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
A 1/2 quart low is no big deal. It will not affect pressure or lubrication quality. The only down effect is that the oil would need chaging soon as it would have more contaminants by volume over a properly filled engine.
A 1/2 quart low in your Beaver won't, but I won't want a gas engine, used in severe service, that was run 1/2 qt low for 6 years. That's 10% low on oil. Would you run your Beaver 10% low for 6 years?

My opinion and I see others may not agree.

-Tom
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You can safely run an engine, gas or diesel, low on oil forever, as long as the oil level is above the add mark on the stick. I wouldn't intentionally run low on oil, but wouldn’t be concerned as long as the oil is in the safe operating range. BTW, I would prefer to be a bit low on oil while in the safe operating range than being over full. Too much oil can lead to oil foaming caused by the oil being stirred by the crankshaft. Foamed oil has air in it, that air doesn't lubricate when passed through the oil.

None of this matters on a potential buy because the buyer will never know what the long term oil level has been. No need to scare prospective buyers on something that really doesn't matter.

As for the Beaver I had, 10% lower from full would be about a gallon of oil and that would still have the oil level in the safe range, the same is true with Detroit Series 60 in my current coach.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

2) Fuel Filters
3) Air Filters

Thanks
You should visit the Workhorse chassis forum here on irv2.com since all those items are chassis, not coach. There you will find a link to a free download of the huge "chassis guide" which contains everything you seek and more.

Using the standard PF454 oil filter, the capacity is 6.5 quarts.

The fuel filter is located inside the frame rail-driver's side-just above the rear axle- and you "may" need to buy the new adapter kit (part # W8006889) in order to change it because the OEM 3 port filter is no longer available.

The air filter is located in a rectangular box inside the passenger side front wheel well.

Routine service every 3-5K miles includes oil & filter, chassis zerk lube, water level in battys, ATF level in tranny, and a look-over for loose or damaged parts. AT LEAST every two years replace the brake fluid.

If this coach is new to you, make sure the Bosch brake recall was completed.
Ed
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Do you not have the original service manuals from the chassis manufacturer ?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

2) Fuel Filters
3) Air Filters

Thanks
Try Manuals & Diagrams for all you need to know.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post

-Tom
How could one run an engine 1/2 qt low for 6 years? If they ever changed oil wouldn't it be put up above the line? Or did the owner purposely only fill to `1/2 qt low?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies. Is it possible and cost effective to do my zerks lubes?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Go to www.omeys-performance.com

He has a cross reference listing for nearly every part you'll need to purchase . I have used his material many times
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote