Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Looking for a adapter to hookup to natural gas.

Where do I find one?
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I believe you will also have to change all the jets in your gas appliances.
Something to think about.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

While you may be able to rig up something to adapt to natural gas, I think it would be a bad idea. I am not an expert on various gasses but I know that there are differences in the properties of LP and natural gas. At different times I have purchased appliances for our home (LP supplied) and I have always had to install a conversion kit to change from natural (the way gas units are normally furnished by the manufacturer) to LP gas. This usually involves installing different size orifices or venturi in each burner.

We had a trailer built for us and specified a residential size refrigerator and 4 burner range top. When we tried to use the cook top the first time we had wild sized flames coming out. The trailer builder had never made the adjustment to the burners. In this particular instance, the cook top was built with the ability to burn either fuel and all I had to do was follow the directions that came with it to convert it to LP from natural.

Happy trails, Randy

2003 43RLQSO Travel Supreme
R.B. Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Its not that simple, RV's were designed to run on propane, orphis sizes are different, etc. if you are dead set, call a plumber/hvac guy.
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You will need to change both the orifices and the pressure setting for each appliance (stove, oven, refrigerator, water heater and furnace) along with the setting of the main regulator on the tank. On the stove and oven there should be one main regulator and orifice along with an individual orifice for each burner. There may also be a tank orifice involved too. Then the air shutters for reach burner will need to be adjusted too. If the burners do not have shutters the they may need to be retrofitted or the burner assemblies replaced.

Any way you slice it a lot of work and potential high costs can be involved to do it in a safe manner that will pass muster with any type of inspection be it insurance, local or DOT.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As others have said, EVERY Burner needs to be converterd, not just adapted, but converted, it's not worth the conversion.

I have converted ONE burner on one device. Mostly because I did not know which of two parts to buy and the cost of the part was less than the gas to go get it so I got both, dropped the right one and converted the other. I do not recommend doing this.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As others have said, EVERY Burner needs to be converterd, not just adapted, but converted, it's not worth the conversion.

I have converted ONE burner on one device. Mostly because I did not know which of two parts to buy and the cost of the part was less than the gas to go get it so I got both, dropped the right one and converted the other. I do not recommend doing this.
So what am I suppose to do, I live in the damn thing.
Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If you're set on hooking to natural gas, you'll need to shop and buy conversion kits for stove top and oven, water heater, furnace and refrigerator burners. OR you could talk to an LP dealer and have a residential tank installed next to your RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just Googled your question and lots of people have converted various items.

Have you Googled your question?

Seems like once you are converted it will be a lot cheaper on natural gas. Do you have natural gas at your site? If so I've never heard of that.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

You must be looking at blowing up your RV, NO?

As other have said, ALL orifices would need to be changed and your RV would no longer work correctly with LPG. Which renders it immobile and hooked to a PERMANENT site that offers natural gas only.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #11

It ok.. you can find conversion kits most everything. No worries. Just google it and then purchase. Instructions come with the kits and are usually very straight forward and easy.

If and when you want to revert back, its as simple as re-following the instructions using the LP orifices instead of the NG.. Simple is a simple gets.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas