Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Lookers beware

I don't want to knock our site's sponsor but I went to the site that comes up occasionally on the right side of the screen called "Five mechanics on duty to help you now". I clicked on it to see what it was and it turned out to be a small engine repair guy who wanted $17 to answer a question. He has nothing to do with RVs and as far as I could tell knows nothing about rv generators. The really bad news is that you cannot get out of this site without using your task manager. It gives you two exits, 1. click "Continue" to go back to the last page of their site or 2. "Ok" to pay the money. If you click the X at the top of the page it takes you back to the home page of the site. It is a scam and a PITA to deal with. Stay away!
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

They are not an iRV2 sponsor.

That's a Google ad that Google randomly places.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't mean to completely disregard our sponsors, but if you right click, in Firefox, you can block the ads from that specific Google web site. Make sure you read what you will be blocking as you could block all images from iRV2.com.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similar problem with the Onan Generater site. Had a heck of time getting out of it. I knew all the man was going to tell me was (see one of our service stations), and for that I was not going to pay $9.00. They even e-mailed me as to why I did not avail myself of their service.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Its not just this site..no matter what mechanical thing you are try to research they always have that site appear...Man those mechanics are sure putting in long hours and they are expert on anything you choose to look at...CALL THE MANUFACTURER. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you get stuck on one of those sites try ctl+alt+delete then click task manager, click one time on your browser that is open to select it then click end task. Poof the browser is gone and you can start over.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Suggestion... If you ever go to that site again copy the URL to notepad

Then find a file on your computer called HOSTS.. Most likely in Windows system32 drivers etc as I recall but find it

In this file you will see an entry something like this

127.0.0.1 Localhost

Copy the URL from note pad from the last / in http:/;/ to the next slash"
Example if it's http://computer_stealers.com/mechanics/who/bill.htm

You copy computer_stealers.com

Not after the first 127 line type

127.0.0.1 CTRL-V (That is hold ctrl and press V) to past in the domain of the jerks

Save the file and exit

now... If you forget and click on it again you will see 404: Page not found
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you want to close your browser quickly, hold down the ALT key and press the F4 key, that goes for any page that pops up also.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the good inputs. I can't understand any company that would think you would ever return to their site after treatment like that.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Up in the left hand corner of your browser (Internet Exploerer) are the forward and back arrows. If you look just to the right of those, you will see a small arrow pointing down. If you click that, it will show you a recent history of sites you have visited. You will be able to click on any site you wish to go back too. You will even be able to select the forum that you just came from. It works, and no need for task manager, or any other hassel at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
Thanks for the good inputs. I can't understand any company that would think you would ever return to their site after treatment like that.
I forgot to mentoin.. If you wishslap them in your HOSTS file with a 127.0.0.1 IP address.. You can use COPY from the link to them too, you need not actually visit the page, just copy the URL.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

That is a great feature of Firefox, the add-blocker plus extension blocks everything using a white-list approach. Googleadds,etc.are automatically blocked until you allow otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote