Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Locking fuel cap

Looking for a sorce for locking fuel cap Ford chassis with v10 sightseer 33C
Acropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Take your original gas cap to any quality auto parts store and they should be able to match it up with a locking cap.

I thought about putting a locking cap on ours but then my brother told me his story. He had a locking cap on a business van that he left parked in the store parking lot. One day he came to work and found that somebody had punched a hole in the gas tank to steal the gas since they couldn't get the cap off.

Good Luck,

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yup, around here they are hitting the companies with big fleets and drilling holes in the fuel tanks and letting them drain.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As stated above go to any quality auto parts store and get one. I have them on all my personal vehicles. If they punch a hole in your tank insurance will cover the repair. I already check with my insurance company on this. At $3.80 a gallon and 120 gallon tank that becomes a felony for theft according to state law.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, will be checking into getting a locking gas cap for our MH.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just bought one on Amazon for $13. for my 2008 E450. (V10) easily spent another $11 for free shipping! Just plug in locking gas cap 2008 E450 and you'll see it. The company is STANT that makes the cap and I did not find a motorcraft one so I got it. I agree on the insurance thing with drilling the tank so I'm willing to take a chance.
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm hoping a locking fuel cap will discourage the casual thief. I had a tool bag lifted last year while in storage when I left the compartment unlocked. Thief climbed the fence then checked for easy and quick grab. Of course siphoning 5-10 gals of fuel will take a lot longer but at 4 to maybe 5 a gallon I don't want to lose even that much.
Acropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm with those who use locks. If there is a lock made for something I have, I use it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropilot
I'm hoping a locking fuel cap will discourage the casual thief. I had a tool bag lifted last year while in storage when I left the compartment unlocked. Thief climbed the fence then checked for easy and quick grab. Of course siphoning 5-10 gals of fuel will take a lot longer but at 4 to maybe 5 a gallon I don't want to lose even that much.
I've heard that in a certain year cars started to install anti siphoning devices. Is this true for MH's and if so what year ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Gas thefts, along with catalytic converter thefts, are growing problems here in California. About four years ago after someone stole the entire cat off my lifted 4x4, I took a friend's advice and used strategically-placed fish hooks up and under all of my vehicles' chassis, exhaust, and around gas tanks. Just keep a clear record of where you place them and how many so you can remove or avoid them as necessary.

It may not stop a very determined thief, but he'll certainly think twice before sticking his hand in there again. He may also leave some nice bloody fingerprints behind.

Tags
fuel