Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Live MPG readout?

Maybe I've overlooked something, but I can't find a readout on the dash of our real time fuel mileage. Is there such information available?

I realize that, if available, the computer is not always spot-on but does provide useful information based on varying scenarios (ie mpg at 65 vs 70 mph).

Thanks
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If its on the Ford F53 chassis, Ford did away with that feature. It has outside temp, distance to empty, trip. Would be nice to see estimated mpg, but then seeing the single digit numbers might kill some of the fun of traveling.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This is on a Freightliner Maxum chassis.
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It should be covered in your Freightliner owners manual.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchg View Post
Maybe I've overlooked something, but I can't find a readout on the dash of our real time fuel mileage. Is there such information available?

I realize that, if available, the computer is not always spot-on but does provide useful information based on varying scenarios (ie mpg at 65 vs 70 mph).

Thanks
The medallion instrument provides two readings:
- instantaneous while your driving
- engine life time average which is not respectable.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks
Hutchg,
I see it says "Itasca 36M" on your sig line. May I ask, what year, chassis model etc. (Ours is the Freightliner XC Revolution chassis)? And, our dash does have what's called the Medallion Information Center built into it. That, as has been stated, will provide some real time fuel mileage, and average mileage. I don't put much stock into those readings. They might be somewhat close but, the method I use is the old, how much fuel put in for the distance traveled method.

There's times when it says I'm getting upwards of 85 mpg. Yeah sure. Now, of course that's pointed down hill and "0" throttle being applied. But, in any case, do you have that Medallion Info Center (I don't even know if their still installing those or not)? Some dash displays will have some sort of screen that displays certain important information but, I'm really only accustomed to mine so, I don't know what's on your dash to maybe display the info you'd like to see. A picture of your dash might help.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
The medallion instrument provides two readings:
- instantaneous while your driving
- engine life time average which is not respectable.
I am really beginning to hate these spell checkers as it made total nonsense out of the above statement.

The engine lifetime mileage is not resetable. And mine certainly is NOT respectable at 6.9 mpg.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I am really beginning to hate these spell checkers as it made total nonsense out of the above statement.

The engine lifetime mileage is not resetable. And mine certainly is NOT respectable at 6.9 mpg.

Spell-check was OK, but it slipped a bit on punctuation. Whaddayawant for free from the internet?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
This is on a Freightliner Maxum chassis.
Agree, if you check the Freightliner manual you will readily see how to toggle thru all the many dash readout parameters, including current MPG.

FWIW - I know many folks don't trust the MPG readouts, but I keep track of all my fuel and miles ever since owning and my manual calculations are spot on with the electronic average, at least for the last 15k miles.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use my VMSpc, shows instantaneous, a running average and then I can also get the gallons used and the miles traveled. After 40,000 miles it shows 7.05 mpg but that doesn't include the fuel used for the generator either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I feel your pain. I get 6.5 with the ISC if it makes you feel any better Recently straight piped it but haven't traveled yet to see if it has made a difference. I'll post if it does.
Rich