Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to pass along something I learned about while at FC Service. The guy parked next to me told me about Winnebago having some problems with guides on floor level type slides. We went over and looked at my slide and wouldn't you know it, my guides were cracked too. Service changed them without question.

For anyone interested, look at the white plastic guides that allow the slide floor to drop down to coach floor level. There are two guides per slide arm. You may need a flashlight to see them. I am told these guides first crack, then they fall out.

I don't think they have done a recall, but as common as it is you all might want to check.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to pass along something I learned about while at FC Service. The guy parked next to me told me about Winnebago having some problems with guides on floor level type slides. We went over and looked at my slide and wouldn't you know it, my guides were cracked too. Service changed them without question.

For anyone interested, look at the white plastic guides that allow the slide floor to drop down to coach floor level. There are two guides per slide arm. You may need a flashlight to see them. I am told these guides first crack, then they fall out.

I don't think they have done a recall, but as common as it is you all might want to check.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 06-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks Pat - I'll take a look at mine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pat....does the slide need to be in or out to see the guides and where apprxare they....Thanks for the heads up....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi Pat,

Adding to RKL's questions, do you inspect these from inside or outside the coach?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Pat---Would be great if you could post a photo.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Inspect the guides with the slide out. You are looking at the white plastic guides that the slide arm moves on. The guides in question are under the slide arms and are about an inch wide and a half inch high.

I will take a pic, and then try to figure out how to post the pic.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Pat....I found a piece of white plastic under my coach this winter in Florida....I did not know where it camr from but suspect it was a guide..I will check this week...I note the front exterior of my slide appears to be down about 1/2 inch per the line up with the trim strip. Do you know how they install the new guides? Is it something I can do?...thanks..RKL
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Pat...the white plastic I found WAS the cornor from one of the plastic guides...there is enough left to support so I will ride with it for a while..The rest are ok...no way it is a do it yourself job to replace....it looks like the main aluminum slide arms have to be disconnected and slid back beyond the guides to insert new ones in the channel...they probably have to use support jacks to hold the slide room up while the arms are disconnected....thanks for the info...RKL
Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The new rules at FC Service prevents customers to go back into the shop to see what is going on so I didn't get to see how they did it. The tech said it normally took about an hour to replace the guides so I am guessing it isn't too bad of a job. You will see two swrews on the top side of the guide and it looks to me like you could run the slide in about half way which would get the pressure off the guides and you might have a shot at replacing them.

Best place to have it repaired would be at HWH in Moscow, Iowa. Can't say enough about how good they are and how they treat customers. (Moscow is about 25 miles west of Davenport)

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 06-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Pat..thanks...My guides are where the aluminum arms come out of the frame support and at the rear of the frame support channel...On mine there are 2 small guides at the bottom (under the aluminum arm) with nubs that fit in 2 holes, 2 large guides on the sides with screws and 1 above the arm on the top....The same set up is further back on the same arms...is this what you are talking about or are there additional guides somewhere other than that aluminum arm.....Thanks RKL
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am talking about the guides below the aluminum arms. You are right about the guides being further back under the slide arms. You can see that these guides are used when the slide lowers to floor level. The others are for the slide moving in and out. I think you are in the right place. Was this where the plastic you found on the ground came from?

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 06-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Pat.. the ones I am talking about are for the 2 aluminum arms moving horizontly in and out in the steel channels. It is a forward/backward movement..I don't see any more further back after where the channel stops...(Channel appears to stop at the frame rails)
Are there more plastic guides further back than the rear ones on the forward/backward aluminum slide arms?
Are you talking about extra ones where the floor of the slide goes up and down as it travels horizontly? If so where are they?....thanks RKL
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RKL I can't figure out how to post the pic I have taken of the slide, so if you will send me an e-mail at [email protected] I will send you the pic. This will also answer your question as to how the room drops.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I also had one break in half. As soon as I get it out of the Cat house I'll take it to the dealer. HWH said it is a shop level job and is Winnies responsibility as the arms are most likely out of parrallel. I still can't see what I type so please forgive any errors in this writing.