Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I will be selling my coach in the spring. My question is should I let prospective buyers drive the coach? It makes me very nervous thinking about the damage someone could do on my pristine coach.

What would you do?
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I will be selling my coach in the spring. My question is should I let prospective buyers drive the coach? It makes me very nervous thinking about the damage someone could do on my pristine coach.

What would you do?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Did you buy it without driving it?

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would find out if they have any experience driving a MOHO or other large vehicle. Satisfy yourself that they do have experience by asking question.
Do they have or do you have insurance in this case. I think most policies cover a person when they drive another vehicle. Please check. Good Luck on your sale.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bruce,you will have to let the person drive. I have never bought any vehcile without first driving it.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
abn
Winnebago Camper

I definitely would NOT allow anyone to drive my MH.

Offer to take them for a ride instead. That is how I bought mine and it worked fine.

Dealers can afford the risk, private owners rarely can. IMHO

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, I test drove both of the ones I bought. But I think if selling, want to be sure they have experience with a vehicule that size. If not prehaps you drive they ride. Of course you should ride along on the test drive.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bruce,

What does your insurance carrier say? I have Progressive and they state very plainly that if you let someone whose drivers license is not listed on your policy drive your coach you are not covered.

That is why I would let a consignment dealer take care of the sale for me and make him responsible for any damage done while demoing the coach.

If you do sell it yourself then only allow test drives to those who have fully qualified for financing and have provided a substantial enough deposit to cover any damages that occur during the test drive. Have this clearly spelled out in your buyers contract so that it is understood that only qulified buyers get a test drive and that if they damage the coach then they loose the deposit. You may even want to consider a "you damage it then you own it" clause and enforce it by requiring full financing be secured and passed over to you before the test drive with the understanding that the sale can only be voided if the coach is returned from the test drive undamaged.

Also consider limiting the amount of passengers during the test drive. Many consignment dealers will only allow the primary buyers and a mechanic on the test drive but no children or others related or otherwise.

You have a few options here and need to consider what level of protection you require before allowing a test drive.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

When I purchased a pre-owned motorhome, I had never driven, or ridden in a motorhome before. So the seller took us over to the Texas Motor Speedway to let me do the test drive around the grounds and parking facility. If you have anything close to such a place to do the test drive that would be my suggestion. It is difficult to run into something when the parking lot is empty.

Hope you make the sale!

Coach Dog - Sadie
rvcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I think that clause refers to someone living under your roof. They MUST be a listed driver in order to be covered. It does not apply to anyone not living with you. They are considered a defered driver and therefore you are covered. But who needs the hassle.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Do like they do in the marine industry. To makesure someone is serious aopbut buying thyey first put up a 10% deposit before the boat leaves the dock. Then the owner or a captian handlkes the boat in any close quarters and is right beside the buyer when they have control of the boat.

I would first make sure the buyer is really serious and not just a tire kicker. Then I would do all driving in anything except open highway driving with little traffic. Then make sure they are prepared to do exactly as directed while they are driving.

Goo luck.

Adrian

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If your not going to let prospective buyers drive it, you may as well trade it in as it's going to be a hard sell. Call your insurance company, ask them if a prospective buyer driving it is covered. If not ask if you can get short term coverage that will.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Bill, who would buy a used RV without first test driving it? Certainly you should ride along if only to answer questions that may come up during the ride. But I know I wouldn't buy your RV if you told me no test drive allowed! In the first place I would wonder what you didn't want me to find out before I gave you my money! Not a good way to start off on a deal.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We looked at a coach that the seller said since I never drove anything this big he would drive.Even with him babying it I could tell the tranny had a serious problem.As far as I know he still owns it.I think I would be nervous letting someone else drive unless I could find a large open area.Maybe tell them You would drive so they can listen and check thing out so they can concentrate better.After you are sure they are serious I think a chance to drive would be in order.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Most insurance policies cover any non resident driver but your policy is primary. Also regarding previous post about a marine transaction requiring a 10% deposit, never heard of that in 25 years of boating and selling 4 deepwater boats, dealing with countless yacht brokers and which one of you would put up that much money just to drive a coach anyway?? In any case my opinion (worth about 2cents) says if prospect not experienced, he does not drive my coach on the open road. Find a large parking lot and let him drive around that.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Just a quick update. I listed my coach on rv-online.com and sold it! I had numerous calls from the west coast that were very interested but they felt they were too far away and didn't want to make the trip to see it. I got a call the second week from a fellow just an hour away. He and his wife drove out one night and bought it on the spot. They never even drove it, they picked it up 5 days later. In case you forgot I was afraid to let just anyone drive it for fear they might damage it. They never even asked. They just fell in love with it and bought it. I really miss it now...
Old 05-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Congrats Bruce....

So are you going to be RV-less or are you looking?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

rv-less for now........... but always looking! We are taking care of my in-laws who both have Alzheimers and just can't leave them alone. They both live with us, until they cannot.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:17 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply Bruce,glad you were able to sell your coach and make another RV'er, maybe they will find their way over to iRV2!!

All the best to you and your family.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote