Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Question Let's Talk: New or Used?

When a potential RV buyer shows up on a forum--all excited and asking for help--one of the first responses they get is typically "Don't buy new!!!" Well, there are definitely differences of opinions there, so let's hear YOURS.

We bought new 6 years ago and have had no regrets. I'm one of "those" people who doesn't want somebody else's problems (or germs). We were new to RVing and thought the warranty was the way to go. (Yeah, right.) Of course, we've learned a lot over time, but I still would only buy new.

So. New or pre-owned? Why? Would you do it differently next time? Will there be a next time??
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We've always bought new RVs, until this Class A. It was a blast doing the research for new and filling out the order sheet exactly how you wanted it, and the RV industry would always throw in a few bonuses with mid year changes before delivery. I remember getting the first flat screen TVs, which weren't available on the order sheet at the time.

We camped by a guy that bought his new Tropi-Cal 14 years ago and has never regretted it. They love it still today.

This is our first used RV in a while. It has been reasonably trouble free, but there is some history with it. Within the 1st year I fixed the annoyances and am proud of the rig now. I tell my wife we rescued this poor thing from those awning installers at CW
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Team

We always buy new and are very happy we do. Sure we have to handle all the problems of the first year of ownership but, we know what’s been fixed, and how it’s been fixed. Plus we know what’s been added and how well it’s been done.

We know who’s used our bathroom and whose slept in our bed.

It’s OURS and no one else’s.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My first several were used. It was a cheep way to start and learn. Along the way I ordered a couple new rigs thinking I knew what I wanted. As years past the requirements change and you end up needing something different. End result, buy used or new if it fits your needs and if you can do the maintenance up keep needed. Once that becomes an issue, buy new ever couple years and use that money the kids did not appreciate anyway that they thought they were going to get. Enjoy it!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

I purchased a USED 2016 Navion 24J with 7200 miles on it. I found it on RVTrader.com The Rv was 1200 miles away in Houston, TX. I made an offer sight unseen (pending my approval). I rented a car one-way and when I got there I was immediately in love with the unit.

It had one month of factory warranty left, and we were able to get a couple of minor things repaired that month. There were two recalls after 1 year, and both were taken care of.

Considering the excellent price I paid, I wouldn't even consider new. We all know an RV is NOT an investment with a positive return, so used reduces your loss.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

New or used?

We have done both...I like what Tuscontoy said about a used RV being a good entry point and learning tool. Many try it and decide they don't like camping. Our 4th RV was a new Minnie Winnie 31D. It really depends on so many factors, in both cases, the experience was maintenance intensive. We're hoping things quiet down now that our 31D is "broken in". We're very happy with it, I would buy it again.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
Itasca Traveler

Nicely Used

We bought late in the season, September, when the new models were coming in and the dealer (LaMesa Sanford, Fl) needed space to put them. I was looking for a two year old model when I stumbled across the one we bought. We got it for about 12K more than the used model. They fixed the bumps and dings from being shown on the lot and I felt it was a win win for all.
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We tried to buy new but we could not find a way to spend that much money! We kept looking, and a used coach that was exactly what we wanted fell into our lap about 3 months later. We pick up a 2014 VV in a few days and cannot wait to get out there and discover what kind of campers we will be! We saved 50K from new, the coach has 10000 miles, and we decided that installing the new Froli bed would be great upgrade after saving so much money!
winnaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Yeah! Go Froli
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Site Team

Thanks for mentioning the Froli system. I had seen this in a Winnebago video but didn't know the name of it. That looks like what we need for our too firm mattress on a hard plywood base.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Itasca Owners

We have always bought pre-owned and do not regret doing that. When shopping for our current RV we looked at new ones and nearly purchased a Mini-Winnie 22R. But then we found our Itasca Spirit 324V and liked the layout better. We also decided that we could do a lot of traveling on the $60k we saved.
When and if we sell it, I think our net cost (purchase price - selling price) will be about the same or better. We did well on our last two.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

First of all, there are those who just like purchasing new, no matter what case might be made otherwise. In that case, buy new and be happy.

If you're relatively handy, can fix and/or replace things or enjoy DIY mods, you're probably better off and will have more fun buying used. If not, and you'll be dependent on a dealer or other shop, new, or better yet, almost new with warranty, is probably your best bet. You'll save money going the almost new route.

Now that I can afford it, I've generally purchased new cars but motorhomes are a much bigger risk in terms of quality control, etc. Buying a new motorhome isn't going to give you the same peace of mind and you're not going to have the same lemon law protection.

With a used motorhome, you may be buying somebody else's problems but it's just as likely you'll be buying one that's had most of the problems fixed. An independent, pre-purchase inspection is important.

I've owned sailboats (from 21 to 30 feet long) and have always bought used (no major issues), did all my own repairs, had a lot of fun and saved a ton of money. I've owned two TT, one used (no issues), one new (only because I got a screaming deal) and now have a 2002 motorhome purchased in Nov 2018. I wouldn't have bought one that old except this one came with a four-year-old, commercial wheelchair lift ($15k new) that we couldn't pass up. Other than the "truck" part, I've done all the needed repairs myself.

Personally, even though I can afford it, I don't want to have $120k or more tied up in a motorhome. My preference is to own it outright and, if I do finance it, I'd like to do so for no longer than three or possibly five years, depending on the age of the rig. That, in itself, pretty much limits me to the used market. Since buying our motorhome last Nov, "life has gotten in the way" and we've only been able to use it a couple of times. I'd hate to have been making big monthly payments on a new motorhome during this hiatus.

Oh, and I'm not concerned about other people's germs as long as the used motorhome is clean and well maintained. But, if that's important to you, buy new by all means.

And lastly, buy new, take good care of it, keep good records and contact me when you're ready to sell at a great price (for me).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I think we'll all agree that there's really no right or wrong answer to this question, just as with "diesel or gas?" or "C class or A class?" It's simply a matter of personal preference (and many times financial ability).

A problem many first-time RV owners have is that they don't realize the amount of maintenance and care (and money) that is necessary for proper upkeep of an RV, which is the same whether new or used.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Site Team

A problem many first time RV owners have is that they expect operating and maintaining an RV is the same as buying a car. And, that the dealer, warranty and maintenance experience should be the same, too.

They don't realize that the chassis is supported by the chassis manufacturer similar to a car. But that the coach is similar to buying and maintaining a house.

Newbies think if they buy a Winnebago from a Winnebago dealer that the dealer will provide "bumper to bumper" support and even warranty work. There's no one telling them it doesn't work that way. Certainly, both the dealer and the manufacturer are at fault for not making this clear. In fact, both do their best to make the customer feel that they are completely taken care of by the manufacturer and their dealers.

This may be the goal in their minds longterm but both know full well that this isn't the reality.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Even if going to the dealer seems like one-stop service, most likely they farm out the chassis service. IMHO you're better off finding a good truck shop that services your brand of chassis. The same goes for tires.

Fortunately I was able to find a truck repair shop near me where two of the "& Son's" own and understand motorhomes.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
Site Team

Absolutely Bob. And, the same goes for ancillary systems. Got a microwave issue? Don't go to an RV dealer they know ZERO about microwaves. Just because it was installed by Winnebago at the factory doesn't mean that problems with your microwave are something a Winnebago dealer - or even the Winnebago Customer Service should have much to do with.

If your RV is under warranty then if it needs replaced Winnebago should be involved and pay for the replacement. But if it's broken you need to contact the microwave manufacturer.

This can be a huge surprise to the RV buyer. But it's no different than in your home. When your microwave stops working at home you don't call the home builder.

Obviously, I'm using the microwave as an example and this can be applied to the majority of systems in your RV.

If the wiring or walls or exterior or roof fails - call the dealer or RV manufacturer. If the fridge fails call the manufacturer of that specific item.

How can an RV repair shop/person be expert in EVERYTHING contained in an RV? They can't.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

It's also my impression that many RV dealers are so backlogged that it can be weeks, if not months before they can get to your problem. I was in La Mesa in Davis, CA in December and heard them tell a guy that it would be February before his roof leak could be repaired. He was going to have to fly back to the east coast for work in the meantime.

Fortunately I was only there to buy some Winnebago-specified sealant. They didn't get that right and I would have made a 1+ hour round trip for nothing had I not noticed that they gave me the wrong stuff!

IMHO, RV dealers exist to sell RVs, not to service them.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
Site Team

I think they like to make $165/hour doing some service but with OEMs and Service Contract companies limiting the number of hours they can charge for any given job it's not very profitable for them - unless, heaven help you, you are paying cash for the service work they perform.

I can imagine though that it's really tough to service multiple makes of RVs and TT's, 5ers, C's, B's, and A's of all years. And even tougher to keep knowledgeable, hard working service techs staffed and in their shop.

Add to that the large number of RVs being added to the marketing place. The way people hang on to the old ones with 900,000 new ones being added every year and it's just about impossible to staff up for.

There is an independent RV repair shop here in San Antonio with a pretty good reputation. They used to be booked up 2 weeks in advance. Now, they're 4 weeks out to get an appointment. And, their reputation is suffering because folks with appointments are showing up and being told it will be 3 or more days before they can start work because repair jobs in front of them are tying all their techs up.

If you live in town that's one thing - if you live full-time in your coach and now have to kill an extra 3 or 4 days before they can even get you in - regardless of having an appointment - that's a different level of inconvenience.

I guess they'll get enough complaints on Google and Yelp and demand will fall off and then they'll be able to handle the work load.

It's a vicious cycle.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If you're physically capable and have the time, most of what needs fixing in the "house" part of your motorhome isn't that difficult even if you have only the most basic DIY skills. In addition to forums like this, there are videos on how to do almost anything. Once you've fixed a few things, you'll be much more tuned in to how everything is functioning and each job gets easier.

Perhaps the most difficult part is troubleshooting non-obvious problems. If your water pump isn't working, is it the pump, the wiring, the breaker, the pressure switch, or the pump itself? But that's all part of the fun, especially when you think about the $150+ per hour you're saving, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

The other fun part is that each new project is an excuse to buy a new tool or two.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
Site Team

I agree even under factory warranty I usually will always attempt to fix things myself. I know my first MH I just kept taking the thing back to the dealer. It took months and it never really got fixed.