Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Leaking Heater Core Finally Repaired

Last fall I developed a leaking heater core. I took it into the shop I patronize and they confirmed I needed a new heater core. I had some cracks in the front cover and it was recommended to replace the front cover as well. Lichtsinn stocked the core but the front cover had to be special ordered. When 3 weeks later I received the core and front cover I found the front cover would not fit on the back cover properly. A call to SCS Frigette determined that the design had been changed mid year 2003. I was informed that the old back cover was no longer available and I would have to order a complete heater assembly. It would come completely assembled with new heater core and A/C evaporator as well as a new motor and all attached vacuum and electrical controls. The assembly cost was $538.52 with freight. The front cap would have to be removed to install the assembly. I decided that because I had to add freon every spring and the old evaporator did not appear to be leaking I would replace the A/C pump right away also.

Final cost for parts and labor was $2434.59. The good thing is I have a new heating and air conditioning system that hopefully should outlast me. The A/C temp at the dash louver is 34° and the best we could get before was 42°.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don, I know you are glad to have that done. Now, get that thing packed up with the beanie weenies and head for Florida .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear the coach is 'ready to go' for the FL trip. See you there!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don
I am glad to hear that the repair is finally completed.. It seems this has been going on a long time. Dash air temperatures will go up when you get warmer weather, but you should be able to drive without the generator running to operate the roof air.
Now it is time to concentrate on packing for your Florida vacation. Hope the weather warms for you. This has been a cool season, but anything is warmer then home.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Excellent results Don! Now get in that thing and burn up some highway and fuel!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Don, good to hear it's fixed. Every thing heating up now in AZ. Sorry you couldn't make it. Keep dirty side down on FL trip. Woodeye
woodeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

To my friends;

Thanks for all the replies and packing advice. You all forgot to remind me to load up some Wisconsin Cheese before I head south.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote