Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 2nd Winnie dealer is now on the 9th week of a few minor repairs. I had to wait 2 months to get it in. While it was on their property it was broken into & I lost my 17 flat panel($880). No sign of forced entry & the dealer ,York RV in Prescott, will not replace it. I only have horror stories in my 3 visits to 2 different Winnie dealers. Don't think I can afford so much downtime/bad service so may have to find a company that will stand behind their product a little better...My problems have been with the dealers and very minor. Need dealer support...
Owner said come get it if I don't like it! I can't wait to get it out of there & send my paperwork and story to Winnebago. Probably be in small claims court too...
Problems:
front leveler replaced
A/C fan switch bad
leaky faucet
burnt carpet in slide
bent support metal behind burnt carpet in slide
A few decals needed replacing
re spot weld muffler heat deflector
rewire some burnt wires behind slide (muffler fell apart on road causing damage)
Latest dealer I'm at is York RV in Prescott, AZ. The owner is Bob Bean. Tomorrow will be my 10th week waiting !
If you would like to tell Bob Bean, owner York RV, your thoughts contact him toll free at 1 800 756 2007

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2nd Winnie dealer is now on the 9th week of a few minor repairs. I had to wait 2 months to get it in. While it was on their property it was broken into & I lost my 17 flat panel($880). No sign of forced entry & the dealer ,York RV in Prescott, will not replace it. I only have horror stories in my 3 visits to 2 different Winnie dealers. Don't think I can afford so much downtime/bad service so may have to find a company that will stand behind their product a little better...My problems have been with the dealers and very minor. Need dealer support...
Owner said come get it if I don't like it! I can't wait to get it out of there & send my paperwork and story to Winnebago. Probably be in small claims court too...
Problems:
front leveler replaced
A/C fan switch bad
leaky faucet
burnt carpet in slide
bent support metal behind burnt carpet in slide
A few decals needed replacing
re spot weld muffler heat deflector
rewire some burnt wires behind slide (muffler fell apart on road causing damage)
Latest dealer I'm at is York RV in Prescott, AZ. The owner is Bob Bean. Tomorrow will be my 10th week waiting !
If you would like to tell Bob Bean, owner York RV, your thoughts contact him toll free at 1 800 756 2007

Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wow - I always hate to hear about things like this...

All I can offer you is the following link:

RV Service Reviews

If you check it out, you'll see a good deal of customer-provided information of the quality of dealers/service shops. You should also enter the information on your experience with York RV as well to help others make their decision about using them!

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Please contact Winnie Owner Relations immediately and relate all your problems to them.
Have them document everything, they will stand behind their product. Good Luck
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just got off the phone with Winnie Service Administration. Winnebago dealers are authorized to work on Winnies but don't have to! Up to the dealers discretion unless bought from the dealer you are taking it to ! So they won't check into my delays !

Didn't see Owner Relations on the Winnie sight...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

They gave me the name of a service center in Lake Havasu City (abt 250 miles)TTT, not a dealer & offered no relief or compensation for wasted time or stolen property. Looks like buying a Journey DP has slipped away for now. Going to check MUCH better before I spend good money and get no warranty to speak of(1 year) unless this is industry standard. If you make a good product and charge plenty for it it would be nice to have dealer support guaranteed, not at dealer discretion. The man I spoke to at Winnie said he would pass on my experience to his boss....

Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Three T's makes RV equipment and everyone raves about their ability and service. Do a search for 3T's or a variation thereof and you should be able to see some reports about them.

The # you should call at Winnie is 18005371885. If this is the # you called then document who you talked to time and day. You can e-mail them at [email protected].

They cannot make a dealer do anything. If you are miles from another dealer take it there or hang in with what you have. And No they are not going to reimburse you for time or aggrevation.

You have to make the decision what to do and how best to do it. Stay in touch with Winnie and let them know how it is resolved. Call Winnie with all your complaints as they will have it documented on your unit...Good Miles and Winnie is good and fair company.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks TWEKE, I have posted there.
ICHN2GO, I do not expect reimburese for time & aggravation but getting my TV back would be a nice "Sorry for the delay" Owner said they were having trouble getting parts because of Katrina - Winnie says NO effect on parts. I dislike calling someone a liar but Bob Bean is one so once the York name comes down and his goes up that may be his demise as a dealer.
Being Fair & decent to customers cost little & gains much....
I have TTT products on my coach & will use them for sure since they are authorized for Winnie repair work.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Robert,

I have ben following this thread since it was started and feel compelled to respond.

I certainly understand and sympathize with your frustration. It seems that the dealers you have been to could have done a better job resolving your issues. I also understand your feelings about your TV being stolen from the vehicle. However, I have not yet met a dealer or repair facility that will cover items stolen from your vehicle (motorhome or passenger vehicle) while at their facility. The only exception being when there is employee involvement that can be proven (and then only to avoid a lawsuit), or the loss is a DIRECT result of gross negligence on their part. It becomes incumbent on the owner's vehicle or home owners insurance to cover the loss, and they usually do. I also agree that is seems unfair that you should have to make a claim on your policy when the vehicle is at their location - but that is just the way it is. BTW I am a police officer (34 yrs this May) and have witnessed it many times, and suffered the pains of being a victim of similar experiences myself.

As far as the quality of Winnebago products; I don't think they are any worse, and better than many in their respective price range. Our current unit is our second motorhome, and we have looked at literally 100's. I personally think that we got more for our dollar than others in the same range. We bought our unit used, long out of warranty. I have discovered some minor issues and have contacted Winnebago customer service for assistance. I have nothing but praise for their customer service. They have been a world of help for me in providing documentation and assisting me in doing the repairs. They have researched all my questions and provided "spot on" information for me. My previous experience was with a Fleetwood product who's service (from my personal expereience), doesn't hold a candle to the Winnebago experience. I think if you give Winnebago factory customer support a chance they will be of great assistance to you.

Dealer service is a completely different matter. Some dealers are wonderful, others would just as soon never see you again after the initial sale. And some would prefer to never see an owner who bought their unit somewhere else. If I had a dealership I would roll out the red carpet for any and all service customers, regardless where they purchased the unit. A good service department can be a great profit center for a dealership, and developes lasting customer relationships. Too bad more dealers don't feel the same way, as evidenced by the many dealer complaints posted on this and other forums. I am fortunate to have two dealerships within 50 miles of my residence who provide wonderful service (at a price) to anyone coming through their doors. Both of those dealers seem to genuinely care about customer satisfaction and have a sincere desire that each customer leaves with a satisfied smile on their face. That said, dealerships are independent business entities and are not factory owned. The factory can not "force" the dealer to do anything. I have talked to several certified RV techs who have said that Winnebago dealer support is one of the best in the industry.

I think that your problems lie squarely with the dealers you have been to, and not the manufacturer. The comment you relayed about the dealer using Katrina as an excuse for obtaining parts suggests there might be a problem. I don't think that the effects of Katrina would cause much problem moving parts from Iowa to Arizona. I would encourage you to remain in contact with customer support, if for nothing more than to keep them appraised of the dealer activities.

I sincerely hope your problems are resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. It seems it is high time that you are able to enjoy your motorhome and the lifestyle that accompanies it.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Kazoo Tom
I pretty much agree with you, I have had very bad luck with a few dealers now. Problems with the coach have been minor. There are only 2 dealers in the state.
I feel reasonable care was not taken while my MH was on there property. They parked it in the same area as other recent thefts, they left the drivers side window unlocked, & did not use my alarm system. After my coach was broken into they stopped using the area. It has a foot path behind it & no fence or barrier to keep people out. I may be wrong about this but certainly feel if they had taken reasonable care I would not be out well over a $1000 total. Once I get the MH away from there and speak with a lawyer I will know for sure if I will pursue this further. I will post results either way it goes...I hate egg on my face but wouldn't be the first time, LOL...

Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If you haven't already done so, make sure you get some pictures of the area, both day and night if possible. Your attorney will likely find them of appreciable value. Have you made a claim to your insurance company?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

My local dealer has taken the time to repair several of the issues I've had with the coach....They've addressed a misaligned slide and several other issues....

Having said that,the "clear coat overspray" issue I had with my coach was one that CDI felt better "prepared" to fix back at their Forest City facility,as there wasn't a Sherwin Williams facility on the east coast.
If you've read the forums you know that Tracey Walcott (Big Trace) was able to have his clear coat issues addressed at a west coast facility, which negated the need to travel bck to Iowa.

I've been all over this facility and seen may aspects of the manafacturing process at work......Given the large number of coaches that Winnebago Industries sells, I don't find the number of coaches here for service alarming.
Thousands of coaches leave Forest City for dealers all over these United States....With the systems on board these coaches traveling down the highway and bouncing down the road there will certainly be issues needing addressed.

Visit the other manafacturers forums.....they're all the same,just the name changes.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We bought our used Itasca from a dealer that does not sell WIT products...I forget the name of what he does sell. Was there other day when a driver came in with a new MH, a DP. I watched the dealer's tech do an acceptance check...could not believe the detailed examination he did. The tech working on my coach commented on how many defects they find...he said they reject at least 1/3 of the deliveries! That's right...the driver gets back in the coach and takes it back to the factory. The one I watched "only" had about 20 defects!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

This just goes to show the lack of craftsmen in many trades. No apprenticeships anymore. Just stick them on the line and turn them out. We'll deal with the problems as they come up.
Think of what the cost would be if there were no defects at all. Good Miles
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I can't believe that a dealer that leaves a vehicle in their possession unlocked and in an area accessible to the public can get out of their responsibility. Sue in small claims court. When you win, buy an add in the local paper advertising what they did to you.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

You might post the dealer's web site, a link to them or an e-mail address here. Bet if they start getting e-mail from folks who read about your unhappy experiences who then tell them they'll not do business there....... Well it might help you out but some of those dealer out there just don't care, take the money and run.

Dealer we got our MH from, Young RV in Kings Mountain, NC bent over backwards to be nice until they had the check in hand. State inspection ran out, they treated us like a red headed step child when we came back for a simple state MV inspection. Won't go there again nor will we recommend them for anything other than a dump station.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Bob Bean (owner) of York RV in Prescott Arizona. Website : www.yorkrv.net

Thanks All. I was told to get off the lot & never come back by the owner when I picked up my MH Thurs afternoon ! When they pulled it around front I took my piece of cardboard & got under the coach to check if they fixed the loose heat shield. To my amazement it (6 ft long) had been pop riveted on with 1/8 in aluminium rivets and they had popped loose & some missing before I left the lot ! Already loose & hitting muffler. They had a "tech" use larger stainless steel rivets and it appears to be a fix.
On the repair order it says they replaced the kitchen faucet (drips). It still drips & you can see the calcium deposits on it and it was obviously not replaced.
They installed a new DVD/VHS/Surround sound unit to replace the stolen one. It didn't work except the radio (I never use the radio) The RCA (3 wire) cable was laying in the seat ! The 2 coax cables (in/out) were hooked up backwards. I didn't get to go over the unit before I had been told to leave. I pulled unit & properly put cables on. It now works fine. I will let them know about this & the faucet Monday.
They just ordered my dash air control (Had unit since Feb 17th!) so the Service Manager said he will call when it comes in & I'll meet him across the street or walk in & get it & replace it myself. The Service Mangaer is the only honest person I could find there.
They couldn't/didn't replace some of my body decals but used matching paint to paint them on ! (without asking me) When they replaced the carpet in the slide bins (hole in muffler burnt it) they didn't cut it straight across the top so there are a few 1/2 in gaps on the top of the back wall. They also used some type of screws to hold carpet in (It was glued in before).Near where they painted in decals there are abrasions that took my top coat off the white fiberglass surfaces. Looks like someone took 200 grit and scraped across several spots. I'm going to wash & seal it tomorrow.
If things weren't going bad enough we had a flat about 40 miles after we left , puncture with steel cord pulled out , have to replace it.
They checked my tire pressure before I left but they couldn't reach the rear inner wheels which is where the flat occured. Looks like case of road debri(sp) though.
They have no signs posted anywhere on the lot that say Not Responsible for loss but there is on inside the service office (8X10) in cursive & faded blue.
I did not sign off on the work and will call Winnie tomorrow & tell them again my problems & why I won't sign for work not done or not done properly.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Make sure Winnie documents everything that has gone wrong. You may be entitled to some warranty adjustment. there is also a web site somewhere for dealer and service dept. reviews. Might be worth a visit for you.

I realize the the Winnebago factory is not around the corner for you, but it just might be worth the trip. I understand the work they do is top notch. When you call, you might ask what they might be able to do for you.

Good luck, I sincerely hope you can find a reputable dealer you can trust. If not, come on up to Michigan, I can introduce you to two dealers within 50 miles of me that do excellent work, not cheap, but good, and have great attitudes.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
RV Service Reviews

Fred
Old 04-23-2006, 04:04 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

So sorry for all the grief you are going through with this creep of a dealer. If you haven't filed a police report, I'd recommend that you do so. Your insurance will probably not even think about paying a claim if you haven't called the police (with jurisdiction at the location of the dealer). You will then also have the necessary paperwork to sue this dealer in court.

In spite of his ordering you off the property, I would return, and perhaps call the police to inform them that you are going there to take some photo's of the crime scene, of which you are a victim. Possibly they would meet you there to assure that you are not hassled while taking the photo's. If the dealer wants to know what you are doing, tell him that these photos are for the upcoming court hearing that he will be invited to, unless he takes responsibility for his negligence.

I believe that you can prove gross negligence since there have been previous crimes at that location, and while knowing that, he continued to park a customer-owned vehicle there. He was also negligent in leaving your coach unsecured in an unsafe location. Since there are no signs of physical break-in, you may have trouble with your insurance company, since they will likely take the position that the coach was left unlocked. I hope I'm wrong about that.

There is absolutely no excuse for the lack of care, and shoddy and incomplete work that this dealer has left you with. If he is signing off on the things like the faucet, which you know has not been replaced, he is committing fraud against Winnebago. This should be part of your presentation to Winnebago and in court. I wish you good luck. PLease keep us posted.
Indian River, De
Closed Thread