Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

L P Gas Alarm

Have a new to me 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T. Can anyone tell me where the L P gas alarm is located. I have been all over the lower perimeter of the interior of the coach. Can't find it or where it might have been. I'm wondering if it was an option.
Thanks
Bob
rmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Bob
Typically find them close to the frig or stove - sometimes in the area of the dinette on various models. Unfortunately, you'll also have to look for evidence of it having been removed - which may be nothing more than a small hole in the wall somewhere within ~ 6 inches of the floor.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

They only last so long. 10 years before you have to replace. I replaced my smoke and co alarms because of age and failing false alarms. The co detector is a combo with LP and CO. Battery or AC powered.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Former Winnebago Owner

Playing the memory game trying to remember where the LP detector was on our 2002 Horizon TD. Seems like it was on the wall, near the floor between the galley and the bathroom. If not there then look near the floor between the bathroom and the bedroom. It will be close to the refrigerator, it isn't an option it is standard/required equipment.
When you turn the house battery disconnect off, the alarm will give a quick beep, have a helper listen for it.

Good luck,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Should be in the Kitchen, maybe under the Fridge. Should also be replaced, they have a life span, not that expensive. Look at Camping World or Amazon.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
Playing the memory game trying to remember where the LP detector was on our 2002 Horizon TD. Seems like it was on the wall, near the floor between the galley and the bathroom. If not there then look near the floor between the bathroom and the bedroom. It will be close to the refrigerator, it isn't an option it is standard/required equipment.
When you turn the house battery disconnect off, the alarm will give a quick beep, have a helper listen for it.

Good luck,
It was exactly where you said. How I missed it is beyond me.
Thanks to all for the replies
Bob
rmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ours is right near the floor, on the foot plate below the galley sink cabinets. When we had our unit inspected before purchasing, the inspector told us it's working fine and is good for now BUT it's coming up for replacement. I asked him how does he know that. He said there's a date on it and they have to be replacement every 5 five years.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I know that CO monitors (and combo CO/LP units) typically have a replacement date, but I wasn't aware of the same with the LP only units. My old 1988 RV had an LP unit near the floor that had no date, and still worked fine (it would go off if I ran the genset with the door open). I'll have to take a look at my current RV and see if it has dates on it. I know that my CO detector (on the ceiling in the bedroom) does, but not sure about the LP detector (near the floor in the kitchen) or the smoke detector (on the ceiling in the living area).

Edit: Hmmmm...on further digging (googling), it seems that both CO and LP detectors have what is generally considered a 5 year shelf life, while smoke detectors go for 10. Interesting that many of the units, while having a mfg date stamped on them, DON'T have an expiration or "replace by" date stamped. Also interesting is that the mfg date is normally on the back. How often does anyone unscrew their LP detector from the wall and look at the back?
As for smoke detectors; it wasn't till recently that anyone started to claim the "10 year" rule, and even now, most experts state that is because of dust accumulation on the sensor, not because of any degradation of the unit itself. I don't know what the actual effect of age on the CO detector sensor is; dust accumulation or other? And LP detectors? Again, what is actually affected by age?

Yes, I know, it's small $$ to replace them and simply be safe, and of course I will (for any that are indeed expired), but I really wonder how much of the "replace every 5 years" mantra is more of a way to increase sales than any real danger. As I said, my 1988 model had the original LP detector, had no mfg date, DID still work at age 28 (AND it shut off the LP if it triggered, something today's unit don't do). And if the RV manufacturers know that the item is to be replaced every 5 years, why would they install a model that requires a hole cut into the wall (rather than a surface mount) that may or may not be the correct size hole for it's subsequent and required replacement?

Tags
gas