Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Keeping dogs out of the front cockpit while underway

Hi all! Hope I'm posting correctly...Tapatalk sure makes things look goofy...

We travel with our two 50 pound dogs and they both want to be up in the cockpit during travel. This is obviously dangerous and incredibly annoying for the navigator, who spends every minute trying to keep them off the dash or out from under the driver's legs.

We've been jury rigging methods to keep them out, but nothing that's worth adopting as a consistent tactic. Has anyone had this issue and found a workable solution?

We drive a '07 Winnebago Voyage. Thanks all!
Lizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Lizzrd,
:welcome:

We use a baby gate that has a doorway. It is pinched between the driver's chair and the retracted slide...meeting the opposing wall.

It is removed and folds up when we reach the destination.

A permanent option would get in the way while camping, so we keep it temporary.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Lizzrd,
:welcome:

We use a baby gate that has a doorway. It is pinched between the driver's chair and the retracted slide...meeting the opposing wall.

It is removed and folds up when we reach the destination.

A permanent option would get in the way while camping, so we keep it temporary.

Best luck
Thank you! I'll start hunting. My fear is that they'll hop over, but I'm sure we can find a way to reinforce them vertically.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We only have one dog, only 35 lbs. she has a harness and we picked up a seatbelt harness at Petsmart and it clips into the seatbelt for the drivers side couch. we added enough smooth chain so she can get between us and see out the front window but can't get under feet on in lap..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I may be reaching here, but have you tried training them rather than just restrictions them? I'm not trying to sound mean, just curious.
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our 20lb female attempted to get behind the brake pedal. She has some anxiety when traveling but had been good about staying in crate with door open. So simple, we close crate door. Only time she uses it. Male stays in his bed between the seats and every so often stalks to the passenger for a head rub. He follows direction and is easy to travel with and no anxiety.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I may be reaching here, but have you tried training them rather than just restrictions them? I'm not trying to sound mean, just curious.
Of course. They're young and still a work in progress.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
We only have one dog, only 35 lbs. she has a harness and we picked up a seatbelt harness at Petsmart and it clips into the seatbelt for the drivers side couch. we added enough smooth chain so she can get between us and see out the front window but can't get under feet on in lap..
That's a good point. Thanks for the reminder. The belts are never used since there are only two of us, so they're below the couch.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzrd View Post
Of course. They're young and still a work in progress.
Good luck with their training. Sounds like fun times ahead. I asked because I have a 100+ pound German Shepherd that stays in the back seat of the truck...until we stop. Then his alphaness comes out and he wants to drive! Have a great summer and if you figure out the training, let me know!
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you! I'll start hunting. My fear is that they'll hop over, but I'm sure we can find a way to reinforce them vertically.
The child gates come in several heights. We have a couple that are 24" tall and a third that's 26" tall. The taller one also expands farther. We used them when our dogs were puppies. They now sleep either on the couch or in a dog bed under the dinette when we're traveling. If they do come up to see us we know it's time to find a place to pull over for a doggie potty stop.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a Winnebago Voyage and a German Shepard.

When traveling we put our dog in a harness. The harness wraps around the front and back of our dog's front legs. We attach a leash to the harness and a tie down that I installed on the MH's floor. This controls our dog very well.

Before installing the tie down I had visions of our dog flying thru the front windshield during a hard stop. This is a much safer arrangement for all of us.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
We have a Winnebago Voyage and a German Shepard.

When traveling we put our dog in a harness. The harness wraps around the front and back of our dog's front legs. We attach a leash to the harness and a tie down that I installed on the MH's floor. This controls our dog very well.

Before installing the tie down I had visions of our dog flying thru the front windshield during a hard stop. This is a much safer arrangement for all of us.
How much free rein does this give your GSD? And where did you install the tie down? I appreciate your response.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

While some may regard this suggestion as a bit excessive, what about those "invisible" boundary devices. I think they're used to keep animals inside property etc. without the use of fences, wires and visible restraints. I've never used one but, I thought I'd suggest it. If it would work, I would think you'd just put one sending unit on one side of the coach, say, behind the co-pilots seat and, the other behind the drivers seat.

To me, that should keep both of them from entering your area yet, leave you free to walk back and forth with no restraints.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My wife bred's, raises, and shows dogs. We have had as many as 11 dogs. Each one rides in a crate while traveling unless my wife has one out grooming etc. We currently have 2 larger dogs, so 2 large crates on the bottom and then the smaller dogs have crates on top of these with a couple more as needed on the floor under the kitchen table.

I know it sounds crazy but such is life, I married my wife and dogs are part of hers so they travel with us as needed. If we go on extended trips we will leave some at home with a house sitter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Crates are a very responsible method to carriage pets. The downside is the risk of motion sickness in the confined space.

We work with a 501.c3 dog rescue and have transported many dogs in crates in our RV.

But as said above, our pets free travel in the RV behind a baby gate to prevent them from causing any safety issues in the cockpit. Of course our pets are calm and acclimated to RV travel.

Safe travels
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We travel with two smaller dogs. Each has its own crate. They often ride out of the create but they a are available I'd needed. That also sleep in them at night and when we are out of the motorhome for the day.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Crates are a very responsible method to carriage pets. The downside is the risk of motion sickness in the confined space.

We work with a 501.c3 dog rescue and have transported many dogs in crates in our RV.

But as said above, our pets free travel in the RV behind a baby gate to prevent them from causing any safety issues in the cockpit. Of course our pets are calm and acclimated to RV travel.

Safe travels
Scarab, would you kindly link me to the gate you are using?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Scarab, would you kindly link me to the gate you are using?
We acquired an Evenflo brand baby gate system that has ends (wings) that slide to fit. It has soft web-net around the metal frame for the walls and door surface:
Summer Infant Custom Fit Gate - Walmart.com

The soft net is actually very strong and keeps the pups on the right side of the wall very well, plus the net would prevent a twisting injury to a paw or leg in a panic stop - unlike the gates with railings.

Just realized we never took a photo of the gate set-up but in the background here, you can see our secondary use for the gate - to block the entry door when we are busy going in and out of the door...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs RV George.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	127909
And here's a shot of the typical riding positions for a long trip (dinette down to add another soft/safe place to lay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DogBed.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	127908

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We use strap on harnesses strapped to the seat belts on the couch, keeps the dogs under control and also safe if we have to make a sudden maneuver. They would prefer to be free to roam, but just like we have to be belted in, they should be as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We found the expandable baby gate works well. We just lean it up between the slide and the back of drivers seat and the recliner on the passenger side, it tends to tilt back which helps stop our dog from trying to get over it. We just fold it up when we get to where we're going. Wouldn't want anything permanent in that area.
We had one of our smaller dogs get behind the brake pedal years ago, and don't want that to happen again. Scary situation.