Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking for feedback. I have mused as to whether or not it would be beneficial to keep a heater set at 50 degrees or so inside the coach during the Winter here in upstate NY.
Any thoughts?

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looking for feedback. I have mused as to whether or not it would be beneficial to keep a heater set at 50 degrees or so inside the coach during the Winter here in upstate NY.
Any thoughts?

Pete
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

last winter i used an oil filled electric heater and had it in the center of the coach sitting on the tile floor in the ultimate freedom -- i wanted to keep the extreme cold from messing with the various materials, etc. -- this spring, i had mildew in the storage compartment directly below where the heater was located -- condensation build up i assume -- no heat the previous year and no mildew in the storage compartments.. bill
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

Gosh Pete, that is pretty far north and you guys get some major low temps that far up. It would probably work, but I would want to check the heater pretty regularly.

Now, here in the South we get a few days/weeks of below freezing temps, but usually during the day the mean temps are in the 40's or 50's. We have never winterized any MH we own, but have pumped pink in the lines and drained WH in the travel trailer.
We keep a small heater in the MH turned down pretty low and the doors to the bath room, cabinets and shower open. Light bulbs in the wet bays. That works here, but upstate NY ????
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Since we take the coach out at least once a month during the winter, we blow the water lines out and have a small electric heater sitting on the counter to keep the living space above freezing. So far 2 winters and no problems.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 13 yr old 5er and noticed the rear window (aluminum), has been expanding & contracting, such that the wall paper has been pushed. I ended up removing the window to make minor repairs. I am in Hampton Roads VA area, near the bay and seldom experience long freezing periods. I do not known what temperature degree changes cause this. I also notice window gasket material seeming to have shrunk allowing moisture. FYI ~ Mike

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We keep our Horizon at a park in the NC mountains. We use it nearly every weekend. We pump anti-freeze through the lines and keep the heating set at about 50. We have an external LP tank that gets topped off by the local utility. The basement heat pump will work until it senses that it can't keep up, then the LP furnace automatically kicks in. It takes a lot of LP to warm/heat an RV - make sure your LP source is adequate!

Ditto with what DOC is doing: we open cabinet doors, and have a trouble light (25watt) in the utility basement bay. We also drain the water heater each Sunday before heading back home. Sure, it's a lot of work, but have you SEEN the NC mountains in winter!?!

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone, for the info. I think that I will just keep the heat off like I have been doing in the past.

Pete
Old 11-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ours sits inside a mildly insulated barn. Pumped it full of pink stuff, drained the water heater, and the power is on with a TrikLCharge to keep all of the batteries alive. Plan to pretty much forget it until spring. But, admittedly, we really do not get a serious dose of freezing weather, especially for many days in a row. (If we do, I'll probably wander to the barn and check.)