Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We're on our first shakedown trip. First, as one who has spent a couple of years lurking on this site, I wnat to thank everyone who has contributed to my MH education. Second, for those, like me, using this form as a research tool, don't be scared off by the numerous listings of problems. Our experience has been almost totally positive. As far as I'm concerned, this RV thing is one of my greatest lifetime ideas. Now for the problem, In the KD floor plan,inside,just aft of the passenger side slide, is a sort of trap door that allows some of the plumbing to move when opening/closing the slide. Our cat loves that spot, he can get all the way back under the shower. One morning's departure was considerably delayed while we tried to coax him out. I finally had to remove the air vent in the shower base. I'm looking for ideas for some sort of decent looking fix, strong enough to keep the cat out but not likely to cause damage if I forget to remove it before bring in the slide.

06 Horizon KD
Blue Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We're on our first shakedown trip. First, as one who has spent a couple of years lurking on this site, I wnat to thank everyone who has contributed to my MH education. Second, for those, like me, using this form as a research tool, don't be scared off by the numerous listings of problems. Our experience has been almost totally positive. As far as I'm concerned, this RV thing is one of my greatest lifetime ideas. Now for the problem, In the KD floor plan,inside,just aft of the passenger side slide, is a sort of trap door that allows some of the plumbing to move when opening/closing the slide. Our cat loves that spot, he can get all the way back under the shower. One morning's departure was considerably delayed while we tried to coax him out. I finally had to remove the air vent in the shower base. I'm looking for ideas for some sort of decent looking fix, strong enough to keep the cat out but not likely to cause damage if I forget to remove it before bring in the slide.

06 Horizon KD
Old 04-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

The "trap door" is at the bottom of the sliding cabinet and is "notched" so the cable opens it...This where their cat disappears to.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Maybe a little bit of velcro on the bottom lip of the flap--enough to discourage the cat but not enough to prevent the slide mechanism from opening it?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have that same flap and 3 cats. I keep the trash can there when ever we have the slide out and move it just before putting the slide in. IF I forget to move it it will just slide along with the movement thus reminding me to go and place it in it's traveling position. Works for us.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This "hole" may be there to allow air to circulate in cold weather so pipes don't freeze. Careful blocking it completely.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the ideas. Velcro sounds like a possibility. While looking around inside that trapdoor, I can see outside light comming through a 2 inch by 8 inch cutout in the plywood subfloor. I wonder if that is covered or screened in other units? The cat is a great mouser but I don't like the idea of something larger finding it's way inside. This will be a question for my dealer when we get home but I'm wondering if others have the same opening?

06 Horizon KD
Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Hank, is that not the "travel lane" the connections travel on and thereby open that trap door when the slide is closed?
All those cables and such have to go somewhere when the slide is in...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Get some bed foam and cut it to fit the hole then paint it to color match as close as possible and stick it in the hole when needed.
If you forget to take it out it will collapse under pressure and hurt nothing.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote